file picker not working

file picker not working

by Deependra Tandukar -
Number of replies: 14

Dear all,

I am facing a weired problem with my moodle working - i installed the latest version (in fact installed several times) - i am not able to upload or add any content to the courses or upload users db - because the function is not responding. Could anybody suggest the solution.

here is my site: http://www.icimod.org/elearning/admin/uploaduser.php (filemanager is loading all the time)
user: admin
pass: admin

Looking forward to the solution soon.

Best regards,
Deependra

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deependra Tandukar

Re: file picker not working

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there - I have sent you a private message which you should see pop up here or in your email box saying that I have changed your password because it isn't safe to give out admin logins to the public-someone could seriously harm your Moodle. I don't think anyone here would do that, as people are here to help, but it just isn't a good idea. I have to go to work now but will try to have a look later - however, I did see your problem, which is that that ajaxy loader swirly thingie (as I call it!!) just loads and never gets anywhere  -might be worth searching on these forums here.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deependra Tandukar -

Thank you Mary! I just wanted to have the solution, so shared the password - once the problem is solved I can always reinstall the system. I am new to the system and I could not trace out the problem - even I could not add resources in the course but everything works fine for 1.9 version. I would be grateful if the culprit of the problem could be traced out. You might have noticed, even the html functions of the text box is not appearing.

Best regards, Deependra

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Brandon Blackmoor -

"that ajaxy loader swirly thingie (as I call it!!) just loads and never gets anywhere"

We have this same problem. The "choose a file" button never appears. The hourglass spinning graphic just spins and spins.

Is there an alternative to this file upload applet? Just a plain old simple file upload button that just works, maybe?

by Jean-Marie Baltimore -

My file picker is not working either since I moved to the new version. No upload possible, i put sonme files in the repository and they don't appear. I chmoded all the directories 777. I'm on Linux Ubuntu. What i find strange is that nothing appears in the file picker not a file, not a single one.

In reply to Jean-Marie Baltimore

by Sharon Betts -

I am supposed to teach a course for another group and the file picker is not working on their brand new installation.  I am running several other Moodle installations myself - one is 2.0.3 and another is 2.0.2 - both work fine.

Has something been "broken" recently?

I will try to find out what they have installed and on what platform.

In reply to Sharon Betts

by Derek Chirnside -

Maybe a browser thing.

See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27169

See Helen's comment here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177564#p780492

Good luck with the workshop

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Sharon Betts -

Thanks Derek,

We have tried in all browsers - not that.  It doesn't give any errors, just does not load the picture.  Looks like it does and even runs through the
spinning wheel uploader - goes to the next window and stops!  No file - and none shows when you try to go back to the picker either.

She is running the latest stable (2 days ago) on CentOS.

by James Snell -

I recently encountered this issue while upgrading from Moodle 2.4.x to 2.5.x. I've incrementally upgraded my Moodle base very regularly since 2.0.x. My theme was built by forking an existing theme and customizing it vastly. I noticed with my browser's Developer Tools mode, under the JS Console, a message complaining about something in ~/theme/yui_combo.php though debugging that looked like a fair project.

The "solution" I'm going with for now is I've just switched themes to one included with Moodle. I'll probably fork a theme again and customize it again. I've told my stakeholders the issue was something in a recent Moodle upgrade made our custom theme obsolete. Maybe I'm wrong about the root cause, but whatever. The action I've taken has resolved the issue for us. I was about ready to spruce things up anyway.

Hope this helps someone a bit..

Edit: I've reposted this comment in a highly similar discussion here.

In reply to James Snell

by Denise Glickler -

I've posted for the same problem, and have had no responses yet. I know my problem isn't theme-related, because we haven't changed the theme.

I've come across some errors via developer mode (shown here):

Continuing on, it claims there's an error in one of the javascripts, which I cannot locate.

pi: function(h, i) { 
  if (i) { 
    c.push("") 
  } else { 
    c.push("") 
  } 
  if (a) { 
    c.push("\n") 
  } 
}

I've grown desperate for an answer for this...and if there's anyone who can figure it out, my eternal gratitude.

In reply to Denise Glickler

by Marc Thoma -

Hello

I have the same problem after installed the version 2.5.1+

It is not possible to upload a file!

Thanks!

Marc

Attachment file.jpg
In reply to Marc Thoma

by Marc Thoma -

I've found my solution:

It's a theme-probleme. I updated the theme and now the file picker works.

LG

Marc

In reply to Marc Thoma

by Susan Fleming -

On the off-chance someone else encounters this.  We recently upgraded to Moodle 2.6.3 and I am finding that if I have too many tabs/windows open in FireFox, the file picker sidebar (where you select Server files, Recent files, Upload files, etc.) disappears.  This has happened in both FireFox versions 27 and 31.

To fix and get the file picker sidebar back, it is necessary to reset the FireFox defaults - directions can be found https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-problems   Note, this doesn't delete your bookmarks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)