Moodle Theme Ownership

Moodle Theme Ownership

by Dan Humpherson -
Number of replies: 2

There are 3 scenarios I'm looking to question the 'ownership' of a Moodle theme. CSS is code just like PHP or Javascript so if I create a theme for Moodle and distribute it I must release it under the GPL license therefore:

1. I create a theme, never share it, distribute it, or release it. It is a theme only available to me. Its mine, all mine and nobody can steal the CSS etc...

2. I create a theme and release it to the Moodle community in the theme database released under the GPL license. Released as GPL as its based on Moodle (GPL) code - For example config.php is Moodle code.

Its free to everyone, to modify, copy etc...

3. A company creates a theme for a customer, customers pays X amount for the theme. Theme has now been distributed to 5 customers with varying levels of modification.

Its been distributed so therefore must be released under GPL? The customer is free to do with it as they like. Im free to take a copy of the CSS and reproduce?

++++

These are purely hypothetical questions which i've asked myself and never been able to work out the answer to. A few people have also asked me similar questions, justlooking for some clarification.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Humpherson

Re: Moodle Theme Ownership

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The way I see it, you can distribute your Moodle Themes anyway you want. Get them licenced under Creative Commons Licence if you wish. This is what most web-designers do to protect their creative work, since I feel theme are works of art.

However, if you choose to add a theme to Moodle's theme database, then you have to be prepared to share it under GPL (General Public Licence).

Last year I  made a few Moodle themes where the original designs were from Free CSS Webpage Templates, but the owner had licenced then under CCL and refused my request to distribute them under the GPL licence as Moodle themes, so I had to take them off the Moodle Themes' Database.

However, the CSS Template is offered FREE to anyone to customize/use it for business or personal websites/and all the designer asks is that you provide a link to their site.

What I can't understand is why Moodle are so restrictive in this, as GPL is more to do with software distribution licencing and nothing to do with creative design, which web-design is.

I would really like to see it as joint licencing, which seems to be the way most people are moving towards.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Moodle Theme Ownership

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This has been debated at length in the past. I suggest you find the previous thread(s), which explain why this policy is necessary. OK, to save you Googling:

Actually, the really informative thread was

themes are no different from any other sort of Moodle plugin in this regard.