where's the 'my public page' in moodle 2.0 ?

where's the 'my public page' in moodle 2.0 ?

by suman bogati -
Number of replies: 19

I can't find the way thorugh which I can get the "my public page" in moodle 2.0.

Please..Either give to me the navigation or the screen shot of "my public page",

I want to customize it on my theme...

thank you very much...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to suman bogati

Re: where's the 'my public page' in moodle 2.0 ?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

http://yoursitename/moodle/my/

Gives your your own home page.

Themes 2.0 FAQ

In reply to Mary Evans

by suman bogati -

Thanx for the reply Mary, but I didn't understand your instruction, As you provide the navigation(http://yoursitename/moodle/my/) for "my public page", which is for "my dash board" I think.

I want to customize "my public page' not "my dash board"

Can you please give the proper instruction...

Again thank you very much for replied this post

In reply to suman bogati

by suman bogati -

I am supposing for reply of my question from some one...

If you guys have any experience about "my public page" layout structure.

Kindly share that with us.

Thanks

In reply to suman bogati

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Where have you see the reference to My Public Page? I thought you were talking about My Moodle. I am not aware of a page or pages called My Public. Are you sure you have this correct?

Perhaps it is something I am not aware of but should be. I just don't know.
More information about this would be good.
Where is this My Public page?
How do you access it?
Is it in your profile?
In a course?
Where?
Thanks
Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by suman bogati -

Mary...

Answers of all these same questions..I wanted to know!!!. I can tell you where I refrenced to My Public Page.

if you see the config.php of base theme,  Inside this file, somewhere you can get this line..

// My public page
'mypublic' => array(
'file' => 'general.php',
'regions' => array('side-post', 'side-pre'),
'defaultregion' => 'side-post',
),

If i make the my layout structure and replace that with "genearla.php", then we can't get the design according to my new layout structure in any page of moodle,.

but If I do the same thing with "my dashboard" then the page  under the "my moodle" would be change(as you said) according to my new layout structure.

You can get the "my dashboard" page under config.php of base theme...the code would be like this for "my dashboard"

'mydashboard' => array(
'file' => 'my_general.php',
'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post'),
'options' => array('langmenu'=>true),
),

In reply to suman bogati

by Mary Evans -

Hi Suman,

I think the page you are referring to is User Profile page which is public.  This is a link to my public profile page. You can customise this page by adding blocks, like the administrator can for courses.

This is the only my public I know of. If there is another then I am not aware of it.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by suman bogati -

Thanks for reply Mary...

But the page you reffered for "my public" would come under "my dashboard". That page is not come under  "my public ".

Lets hope we'll get that page very soon.

In reply to suman bogati

by Daran Price -

Hi,

experienced similar need to differentiate the "my" page and the "profile page". I found that in user->profile.php line 91 the following code....

$PAGE->set_pagelayout('mydashboard');

Changed this to...

$PAGE->set_pagelayout('mypublic');

This allowed me to use a mypublic.php layout within our theme to differentiate it from the mydashboard page. I ma not sure where else the mypublic layout might be used. If anyone can let me know I can feel comfortable I am not impacting another area of moodle.

In reply to Daran Price

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

If you take a look at config.php within ANY theme you will find this...

// My dashboard page
    'mydashboard' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'options' => array('langmenu'=>true),
    ),
    // My public page
    'mypublic' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
    ),

The fact you can set 'general.php' as the layout also means you can ADD your only desired layout, with it's own CSS too.

eg: mypublic.php and mydashboard.php

So changing that setting is not the place to change how it looks!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Daran Price -

Hi,

it seems as tho even if the config.php file indicates a different layout to mydashboard as below....

'mydashboard' => array(
        'file' => 'dashboard.php',
    ),
    'mypublic' => array(
        'file' => 'mypublic.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
    ),

it still uses the mydasboard layout as set in user->profile.php. This resulted in an addition of a "welcome box" that we want to appear on the my page using mydashbaord.php layout file also appears in the profile page, regardless of the setting in the config.php file.

my pageThe added content also gets put into the profile page regardless of the fact that the config file indicates another layout file should be used and results in the added welcome box being added even when viewing another users profile...

profile page

The only way I seemed to be able to resolve this was by altering the line in user->profile.php? I have tried again to revert to using just the theme config file but to no avail... I am not too perturbed by amending the profile.php file, but I must admit we are hoping to remove any core hacks when moving from 1.9 to 2.0 to enable upgrades without finagling.

Kindest Regards Daran

In reply to Daran Price

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daran,

It appears that the 'mydashboard' pagelayout is being identified for both page types - as you have said it is in user/profile.php (line91), but it is also in my/index.php (line77).

I think that the one in my/index.php is correct, but the one you identified in user/profile.php should be changed to

$PAGE->set_pagelayout('mypublic');

You may need to file this in Tracker to get it altered properly in core, if this is in fact the case.

Richard

In reply to Daran Price

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Did you actually create the two new files 'mypublic.php', 'mydashboard.php' and set new class and id selectors in the page layout and add the corresponding css?

Whatever the name MyPublic or MyDashboard they both work pretty abysmally anyway.

LOL

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I did when i was testing it Mary.

The problem seems to be though that both the profile and dashboard actually call to the MyDashboard pagelayout type (regardless of what the php layout file itself is then called in config.php). I can't actually find anywhere calling the MyPublic pagelayout type (although I'm sure there must be somewhere!) So even if you set a differnt file for 'mypublic' in config.php, it still seems to be aclling the one referenced in 'mydashboard' in the array anyway.

Rich

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Daran Price -

Hi Richard and Mary,

thanks for your responses and advice. As Richard reiterates I do wonder if the line in user->profile.php should be changed in the core, I will add to the tracker when I get into work and perhaps this can be confirmed as a minor "bug" or not.

Daran

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Daran Price -

Hi,

added to tracker MDL-30132 Please amend if it is not explained clearly!

Kindest Regards Daran 

In reply to suman bogati

by Dale Davies -

I realise this is now a very old thread, however I've just come across this problem in 2.4.

The code in profile.php seems inconsistent, there is a constant called MY_PAGE_PUBLIC but the page layout called is mydashboard.

Was there a reason this wasn't changed in the core, or is it an oversight?

In reply to Dale Davies

by Mary Evans -

I seem to recall that this is a bug. I'll see if I can track it down.

EDIT: MDL-30132 is the one and will be fixed by me...NOW! smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dale Davies -

Great stuff!

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area, but what does this mean?  Will the fix be available in a later version of 2.4 or just 2.5?

In reply to Dale Davies

by Mary Evans -

It should be fixed at the beginning of next week (with luck) and should be available at the end of next week when Moodle branch code is updated. I'm planning on fixing this in 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, and in the master branch then the fix is carried forward.

HTH

Mary