Usability: Blogs 2.0

Usability: Blogs 2.0

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 4

I'm finding blogs in 2.0 difficult and time consuming to work with for these reasons:

1. inability to limit visibility of blogs to a course
  2. lack of a link to easily show all posts from person X associated with a course
  3. Navigation (see image)
  4. Terminology ambiguities (confusing blogs with blog posts)
  5. Users are consistently forgetting to associate the blog post with the course.

(Now I remember why someone applied RSS to blogs)

Here are the links to a blog in the navigation:

At site level we get all the blog posts by everyone - which can be a lot.

At course level we get all the course associated posts.  What I'd have expected is something like this:

Sally (2 new posts)
Joe (1 new post)
Ken
Lilly (1 new post)

ie a list of the Blogs of the students, ie a grouping of the Blog posts by each student.  With (as an added bonus) the new posts I've not read.

Could try: requiring a certain tag.

Just curious.  I have posted in the Blog forum to see if anyone is actually USING blogs with a class in Moodle 2.0.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Usability: Blogs 2.0

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Derek,

I'm not quite sure that ist very helpfull to list all students (with their posts) in the navigation block. If a teacher really works with blogs and there are  25 students in the course you'll get a long list. Why not putting this in a new block or to latest activities?

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Derek,

I'm not quite sure that ist very helpfull to list all students (with their posts) in the navigation block. If a teacher really works with blogs and there are  25 students in the course you'll get a long list. Why not putting this in a new block or to latest activities?

Site level and course level title for 'blog' should be recognizable as different functions: My suggestion: 'Site Blogs' at Site pages and 'Course Blogs' at Navigation and 'My blogs' at My profile.

Helen can you change this at english language pack? Or should we add it to the tracker?

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

I ckecked language files and saw that there is only one lang string for all three places. I suggested two more strings at MDL-27064

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for creating a tracker issue Ralf. It's the best way to ensure improvements are made.