How 2 Delete & Sort images in File Picker 2.0

How 2 Delete & Sort images in File Picker 2.0

by Roger Harrison -
Number of replies: 7

Using Moodle 2.0, images in File Picker. How to delete the ones I no longer want? How to sequence them? Need to replace a lot, so I need to dump old ones so they can be replaced.  So many, getting impossible to locate images with no sequencing by FileID function known to me.  How to resequence, delete?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Harrison

Re: How 2 Delete & Sort images in File Picker 2.0

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Roger,
File Picker does not store files, it shows a preview of those and picks them from available repositories or from "server files" (which is more of a preview of activity/resource-level files).

Thus, can you figure out where exactly have you stored your images?
This is where you would need to go to replace the files.

If you are not sure - try to post a screenshot, so we can look.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by kristin Turnbull -

I have the same problem I've looked through the Server files and Private files but the image files I want to delete only appear in Recent files - see attached screen shot and I can't find a way to delete them.

Attachment delete files in file picker.png
In reply to kristin Turnbull

Ang: Re: How 2 Delete & Sort images in File Picker 2.0

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can not delete activity/ressource files in Moodle 2.0 and you can not replace those files with new ones. But don't worry, Moodle will delete them for you if you do not use them. So what you have to do, is to upload the new files you want to use and link to them instead.

About sorting files you can not do that either. In the recent files area your last file are shown first.

- at least that is how I understand the new system, nobody has corrected me yet

In reply to Bente Olsen

Ang: Re: How 2 Delete & Sort images in File Picker 2.0

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

To be more specific on how to change a used image:

In the editor you can click on the image you want to change, then click on the 'Insert/edit image' in the toolbar, select 'Find or upload an image', upload the new image and link to that.

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: How 2 Delete & Sort images in File Picker 2.0

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Bente and others who read,
Re embedded images with the text editor - those can be overridden if you got the fix for 2.0.3 posted in MDL-26388 and closed today smile
So, you could kind of hide files, by removing them via UI, but they still will be sitting in Moodle.

I would love to be able to delete them though as well: MDL-23989.
Our last testing showed that they just sit there forever.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Mark Hilliard -

Elena,

If you are trying to manage Moodle limted server space (for many different reasons), I can't imagine how a system like Moodle 2.0's  file picker would work.

Is there a place or time parameter that Moodle Admin's can control to have ANY control over the 2.0 File Dump?

I am going to call it a "dump" because it really doesn't seem to deserve the name repository, which implys some kind of control over file processes and storage.

Mark H.

In reply to Mark Hilliard

by Elena Ivanova -

This would not be in the UI, so one need to do some programming smile