Sort by Facility Index in 2.0

Sort by Facility Index in 2.0

by Rob Monk -
Number of replies: 7

Can I still do this.

In 1.9 I used to love this feature.

After my 60 questions MC test I'd click statistics then click the Facilty Index Field label and it would sort my questions from hardest to easiest. What did I not teach the children well? What do I need to reteach?

This is much harder now.

After much searching I finally found where the statistics are in 2.0. They are well hidden!!! Why no link from the main results page which would be entirely logical?

Then my system gives me an error message every time I first go in. "Error writing to database" I hit back on the browser and then try again and wooo hoooo. I get the new statics for the quiz.

To find which questions I need to reteach I have to scroll down a big ugly data table or read a chart down the bottom of the page. It used to be easier.

I used to love to sort by Discrimination index too to see which questions were sorting the "wheat from the charf" the best.

Yes, I know I can export the data in excel and massage it all I want but it just used to be easier to find and easier to manage in 1.9.

If there is an easy way to sort by facility or DI please tell me as I'd like to do it. 

Attachment database.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Monk

Re: Sort by Facility Index in 2.0

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It took me a while to remember why that table is not sortable. The answer is because of what the table displays when there are random questions in the quiz (See the original spec here: Development:Quiz_report_enhancements#Quiz_Statistics_report).

Of course, that does not completely preclude sorting, it just makes it harder to implement. If you like, add a feature request to the Tracker and try to persuade people to vote for it.

I am concerned about the 'Error writing to database' error. Could you briefly turn on Debugging, ideally set it to DEVELOPER level. Then you should get a much fuller error message. Please could you copy and paste the error message here, or into a tracker bug report. Thanks.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Monk -

Error writing to database

More information about this error

Debug info: Out of range value adjusted for column 'credit' at row 1
INSERT INTO mdl_quiz_question_response_stats (subqid,response,aid,credit,questionid,rcount,quizstatisticsid) VALUES(?,?,?,?,?,?,?)
[array (
0 => 291697,
1 => 'A mixture',
2 => 710911,
3 => '-0.5000000',
4 => '291697',
5 => 1,
6 => 24,
)]
Stack trace:
  • line 394 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_write_exception thrown
  • line 874 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 916 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->insert_record_raw()
  • line 615 of /mod/quiz/report/statistics/report.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->insert_record()
  • line 97 of /mod/quiz/report/statistics/report.php: call to quiz_statistics_report->quiz_questions_stats()
  • line 90 of /mod/quiz/report.php: call to quiz_statistics_report->display()
In reply to Rob Monk

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Reported as MDL-26848.

If you can, it would be useful to know what type of question questionid 291697 is, and how it is set up. Thanks.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Monk -

How do I find questionid 291697?

I think we have some issues with our question database which is clearly huge.

Any suggestions on how to do a cleanup? We just rolled everything from our 1.9 site into 2.0.

Another issue you may be aware of. Manual Grading is creating problems. It sometimes does not function in IE8. It works for me in chrome and firefox. When it does not function in IE it looks like this. There is nowhere to enter grades. 

mangrad

In reply to Rob Monk

by Tim Hunt -

A trick to find an arbitrary question is to click to edit any question. You will get to a URL like .../question/question.php?id=123&... then just edit the id=123 to id=291697.

Actually, I am guesing it was a multiple choice, multiple response question, which enough information for me to go on now.

I have seen IE truncate pages like that. Normally it is because of garbled HTML. Ironically that bad HTML normally turns out to be something someone has copied from MS Word. FF and Chrome can display that rubbish just fine, but MS IE can't handle it. wink Anyway try view source to see what is going on.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Monk -

The offending question 291697 is a multiple response question.

It this stuffing up my item analysis as well?

In reply to Rob Monk

by Tim Hunt -

I was just trying to work out where the -ve credit came from, which should have been obvious to me.

The problem is that that column is of type UNSIGNED NUMBER in the database, and the UNSIGNED part of that is clearly stupid. Should be easy to fix now I know that.

OK. Proposed fix now available in MDL-26848. If anyone can test that on MySQL, that would be helpful.