Essay question type

Essay question type

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have got to work out how to make essay questions with attachments work for Moodle 2.1. Thinking about that, I decided to review all the feature requests in the tracker relating to Essay questions. I found these:

• MDL-8229 allow attachments
  • MDL-10861 let the question author control whether the student uses the HTML editor or a plain box
  • MDL-6535 let the question author set a suggested size for the input box
  • MDL-11080 allow the question author to input some text that is displayed to the marker

I think that if I am making changes to this question type, I may as well implement all these things at once. Certainly, the only difficult bit is the file handling for attachments.

I made a mock-up of what the qutestion editing form might look like. It is attached to MDL-6535.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about this?

P.S. here is the consipary theory: Most of the other question types in Moodle have really horribly complex edting forms that are a nightmare to use. Somehow, the essay question has slipped through our net. It is still really simple the create essay questions, and we can't tolerate that. Me must add all the features we can possibly think of so that the editing form becomes as complicated as all the rest wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Essay question type

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tim:

We must add all the features we can possibly think of so that the editing form becomes as complicated as all the rest.

tongueout

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ragnar Brynjolfsson -

It will be a big improvement to be able to choose another format than just html for the input window.  This window might be used to submit programming code, and then the "<" marks create problems. The plain text format also has the advantage of allowing pasted text files to retain their format, i.e. like tab indent format will hold in the returned text, but at the moment it will not, using the html format. Thanks for your work Tim.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Claire Browne -

Would it be possible to have EAOLB to only have one line of submissions. Rather than having a line for each submission? that they have to resubmit part of a question!

I have one child that likes the submit for marking too much and he has submitted his six times.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Miguel Miní -

Hello, Tim

Actually, I would like a question type that allows:

1. Download a file
  2. (work on that file)
  3. Upload a changed file

This will be useful for worksheets and graphics. The time between download and upload must be limited

Greetings from Perú!

In reply to Miguel Miní

by Lev Abramov -

This will also be useful for all sorts of editing exercises where the upload of a source file is mandatory.

We do have a workaround, of course: upload the file as a resource, then create an assignment activity that requires uploading a file. So the user can download the file, edit it and upload it for grading.

But I agree that it would be convenient to have it all in one piece. So I second the motion of adding the option of uploading a source file/files by the teacher within the existing Assignment activity module.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Petty -

Tim,

I realize that this is an old thread, and that you have already implemented the changes to the Essay question type that were discussed here.

However, I am interested in having the capability to automatically populate the comment field of an Essay question with a copy of the student answer to facilitate in-line marking (as in the Assignment module).  At present (in Moodle 1.9+) all I can do is cut-and-paste manually before annotating the student answers.

I see from a search of the site that this has come up before in discussion (for example in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25845 and http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=200637), but I could not find whether it had ever been implemented, or requested as a feature.

Any light you can shed on this would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Tim

In reply to Tim Petty

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have not seen this request before in the context of essay questions.

I am not sure how easy this would be to implement, because manual grading can apply to any question type, not just essays, and different qtypes store the student's answer in different ways.