Moodle 2.0 Groupings for activities not working

Moodle 2.0 Groupings for activities not working

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi all,

Using Moodle 2.0.1+ (Build: 20110209).

Further to this discussion in the Lesson forum I have either found out a serious bug in the Activities-Groupings feature in Moodle 2.0 or I am missing an obvious setting somewhere.

1. At site level I have enabled Experimental settings : Enable group members only.
  2. At course level I have left all the Group settings at their default value
  3. In my course I have created
    • Grouping Birds:
      • Group Eagles student01
      • Group Sparrows: student02 student04
    • Grouping Jungle
      • Group Lions:student03
  4. In any one instance of these activities: Glossary, Lesson, Quiz, in the Common module settings Advanced, I select Grouping: Birds; Available for group members only.
  5. The Topic list of activities correctly shows e.g.:
    • my first quiz (Birds)
    • Lesson my first lesson (Birds)
    • Glossary New Course Glossary (Birds)
  6. I log out and log in as student01 (Group Eagles, Grouping Birds)...
  7. All the activities which I have set Available for Grouping Birds are not visible to student01. And they are not visible to students of any other Group/Grouping either!

I'd be grateful if those moodlers who are currently testing Moodle 2.0 would try to reproduce my scenario and either confirm the bug (so I can report it in the tracker) or point to an error in my procedure.

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Moodle 2.0 Groupings for activities not working

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have just tried this - and I can't replicate your issue - my students in the Birds grouping in the Sparrows group or Eagles group can see their work and those who are not in the Birds grouping cannot see it-but now I am wondering if I have gone wrong instead of you? I can't see anything in your settings different from me. The one thing I have not done is to use the actual student login (because I forgot the passwords) so I used the "log in as" facility, and that might behave differently. I will try again tomorrow.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

Which version of Moodle did you try to duplicate my issue on? I suspect the problem was introduced in a very recent version.

I'm having the problem with Moodle 2.0.1+ (Build: 20110209) and Moodle 2.0.1+ (Build: 20110217).

No problem with the "Christmas" version Moodle 2.0.1 (Build: 20101225).

Joseph

PS.- I cannot try out my scenario on http://qa.moodle.net/ because apparently Experimental settings : Enable group members only is not enabled and even when logged in as Manager one does not have access to that setting...

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks to Helen I've been able to switch the Experimental settings : Enable group members only setting on http://qa.moodle.net/ and test out my scenario, which confirms the current bug in latest versions of Moodle 2.0.1+

I've filed a report in the tracker as MDL-26476.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes- it was the Christmas one, so you have obviously found a bug!smile Or should that be sad

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators

Also hit by this bug (drove me mad for an hour or so).

But very impressive fast response from the developers. I see the patch is already on the git repository!

Thanks.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Fixed in moodle 2.0.2.

Joseph

by James Bisset -

Hi

I'm experiencing a different version of this problem with our build (2.1.2 build 20111010).  I can publish an activity to a grouping (Separate Groups), but my test students in other groups can see the activity, so the Grouping isn't applying.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

James.

In reply to James Bisset

by Mary Cooch -

Can you outline the steps you have taken and what activity it is?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Bisset -

It was an advanced uploading of files assignment.

I've since discovered an experimental development setting called "Enable Group Members Only".  This appears to be designed to prevent students in group B seeing an assignment published for Group A - and it works.

My understanding was that this was what Groupings were designed for, i.e. this should have happened anyway.  I'm not sure I understand why if I create an assignment for Group A, my group B students can see it...

So, I appear to have my solution, thanks to this experimental setting (which I'll have to hope becomes a permanent feature!)  But if anyone can clarify how the Grouping setting in assignment is designed to be used, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

James.