Using Xerte + Moodle Quiz + Frame = A "new" method of Engaging Students during assessments

Using Xerte + Moodle Quiz + Frame = A "new" method of Engaging Students during assessments

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi y'all.

I'm working on a new way to present the standard Moodle Quiz module to my students.
Psst..here's the secret recipe: I use Xerte 2.15 with a dash of olde so-1996 HTML Frames
and mix well with a standard Moodle quiz page. I'm GIVING you the source code to boot too!! Interested? READ ON!

I hope to test this type of Blended-Video-text-Quiz to see if it can make for MORE
engaging form of Quizzes. One where the student can view an uploaded flv file or a
Youtube online video feed. I want to see if the Quiz can be more engaging for the
student.

You can check a live version at:

http://scm.moodleace.com/xerte2/

Notice the framed webpage with 3 sections? Well the top section is my Moodle webpage. It is meant for my students to login with their username and passwords and then surf to the quiz link on their course.

The bottom left section is a menu of links that when clicked upon, will open a video on the right hand-side.

The first video "The Chair" is a short/small-sized flv file stored in a folder.
The first video will resize as you change the size of the frame by clicking and dragging the gray bars. Cool huh? Give it a TRY!

The second link ("Xerte Fun") when clicked will link to a Xerte object that in turn
opens up a Youtube video. Unlike the first video ("The Chair"), I, for the love of me,
am unable as yet to get the bottom right video frame to resize dynamically.
Does anyone know how to do this (refer to my "The Chair" video box - see how
nicely that one resizes with the changing dimensions of the scroll bars)?

I mentioned that I'm giving out the source code too right? HTML, Xerte project files. The works.
All you need to do is to download and install Xerte 2.15 or Xerte 2.1 on your PC and to email me.

If you want the Xerte & HTML source code of this mini-project of mine, please email to:
boonsengkam at gmail dot com

regards
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Using Xerte + Moodle Quiz + Frame = A "new" method of Engaging Students during assessments

by Frankie Kam -

Correction: you don't need to install Xerte 2.15 at all. The code works fine.

In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Using Xerte + Moodle Quiz + Frame = A "new" method of Engaging Students during assessments

by Frankie Kam -

1. In the -- Screen Size-- combobox, choose 'full screen' (maintain
aspect ratio) or 'full window' (disregard aspect ratio, and fill the
frame/window)
2. Than you'll end up with screenshot 1. (You can do this in Xerte , by
setting the display mode of the interface. It HAS to be 'full screen' or
'full window' including the space in lowercase letters.
3. Than, in the youtube film, toggle to full screen (the magnifying
glass in the botom right corner).

Thanks to Tom of The Netherlands for the above.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Moodlers, if this can be of some help, here is my 6 minute long Youtube video that explains most things about this “invention”.

Enjoy!
Frankie Kam, Melaka, Malaysia