participant with no role in meta course/Moodle 2.0

participant with no role in meta course/Moodle 2.0

by Klaus Mueller -
Number of replies: 3

Hello

I have a question concerning roles/role synchronization in meta courses (Moodle 2.0)

Assume the following example:

I have a course "c1" with students ("st1", "st2", "st3") and teacher "t1".

In the settings (site administration) of "Course meta link" I specified all roles with the exception of student as "Roles that are not synchronized". (done as administrator)

Now I create a course "metac2" and allow manual enrolement as well as "Course meta link". I assign the course "c1" by "Course meta link".

When looking at the participants of the course I see st1, st2, st3 as students (fine ! ) and t1 as participant without any role (suprise - I had expected, that I wouldn't see the person t1)

Now I want to ask my questions:

1: Why do I see t1 at all? I would have expected , that this user is not transferred to the meta course

2: what is the meaning of a participant without a role? When I log in as this person, I can see the course. It is shown as course belonging to me, but I have no rights to enter any activity (e.g. the news-forum).

I hope someone can help me with this question. (is this behaviour maybe a bug?)

Best regards

Klaus

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Klaus Mueller

Re: participant with no role in meta course/Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I have just taken a very quick look at your post and the first thing that occurs to me is - "roles that are not synchronised" means, I think, that if you have a teacher in one course then they do not keep that role when they are moved over to the other course. They do however still get transferred. (Normally roles would be synchronised, so if you have a teacher they will keep their teacher role in the new course etc) So I think this is correct behaviour.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Klaus Mueller -

Hi Mary

Thank you very much for your quick response.

You wrote: "They do however still get transferred."

Why is that necessary? If they have no role , why are they included in the course?

Indeed that is what I hoped to get : the students are transferred into the metacourse by synchronization. Manually I can assign other teachers.

Look at the following use case:

I am class teacher of a class and I have a moodle course with all pupils inside.

Now an other teacher (or many other teachers) wants to have a new moodle course for my class. He wants to have it on his own.

So I would like to assign the pupils to the new course by using the meta course mechanism (and take advantage of the automatic synchronization) , but I don't want to be teacher in the new course.

best regards

klaus

In reply to Klaus Mueller

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Klaus,

How about using Cohorts instead - http://docs.moodle.org/en/Cohorts?
You can create and add students there. Then you and others  would be able to -re-use that cohort and enroll that cohort (and its members) in their own courses.