Guest permissions in Questionnaire 2.0

Guest permissions in Questionnaire 2.0

by Isabelle Langeveld -
Number of replies: 30

I installed the latest version of the Questionnaire in 2.0 and made a simple form for people to subscribe to a course. The questionnaire must be open to guests in the course. The course has guest access. I set all the permissions at questionnaire level for the guest role to allow.

But still I get the message you are not eligible to take this questionnaire.

What am I doing wrong?

Isabelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Isabelle Langeveld

Re: Guest permissions in Questionnaire 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

funny- I just tried with a questionnaire on my front page and I got the same as you-thoughtful I have done loads of guest questionnaires on 1.9 that work -maybe there is something else we are missing?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daniel Hillen -

Make that 3... exact same problem, can't allow guests on no matter what, I get the red box with "You are not eligible to take this questionnaire."

In reply to Daniel Hillen

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Good to hear I have company! It drives me nuts. I also want to open a forum to guests in the course. Same s#$t...

I hope there is a solution. I don't want to bother people with a log in. It all has to be as accessible as possible.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Isabelle. Still no solution on the questionnaire guest issue - but I have to say the guest forum issue has been discussed before on Moodle and the short answer is -guests cannot post in forums even if you have all the guest permissions set to allow this. The workaround people suggest is to make a new login "visitor" for example and announce in the course that username and password and so any guests would have to log in and post using that common account.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Isabelle (and Mary).

In Moodle 2.0, security (paranoia?) has been re-inforced. By default, is is now no longer possible for non logged-in users (aka guests) to do any action which writes data to the moodle database. The same rule applies to forum, feedback, etc.

This is controlled in the modules db/access.php file (and applies to all modules, including forum and questionnaire).

Anyway, as I think I've already said in this forum, it does not make much sense to allow guests (non-logged in users) to answer a questionnaire. If only because if it so happened that 2 (or more) guests were answering the same questionnaire at the same time, their responses would be "mingled" and the result would be meaningless.

If you absolutely need an anonymous questionnaire for guests, then I recommend setting up a survey outside of your moodle site, using for example the excellent open source survey provided by LimeSurvey.

Joseph

EDIT.- Things being as they are, it would certainly be more logical if the "submit" capability were simply removed from the capabilities settings for Guest in those modules which do not allow submitting. That would avoid the confusion.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,

the feedback-module does allow full anonymous access. This is possible if:
the feedback is anonymous
the feedback is located on the frontpage
the global feedback-setting "allowfullanonymous" is set to yes

Best regards
Andreas
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Andreas,

I had tried to answer a feedback on the front page as guest and had not succeeded, because I did not know about that global feedback setting "allowfullanonymous". Thanks for the information.

Maybe we should have a similar setting for the Questionnaire module (in Moodle 2.0) then?

Joseph

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks Joseph re questionnaire 2.0 - it does not make much sense to allow guests (non-logged in users) to answer a questionnaire. If only because if it so happened that 2 (or more) guests were answering the same questionnaire at the same time, their responses would be "mingled" and the result would be meaningless.

Interesting, because I use the questionnaire frequently at my school for parents (who don't have access to our Moodle via accounts) to sign up for events or give their opinions - and as far as I am aware, I have never had mingled answers because of 2 responding at the same time.  But I do take your point. Our particular set up of Moodle (covering hundreds of schools in the North West of England) includes the questionnaire, so they won't be able to upgrade us to Moodle 2.0 until they're satisfied of the stability of questionnaire 2 (plus  some other contrib modules)  - as many people have ongoing questionnaires they will want to retain. However, as Andreas points out, we shall be able to use Feedback for this instead (which we don't have on our 1.9) so it won't be an issue - just something to bear in mind when all our teachers are on Moodle 2.0 and don't understand why their new guest questionnaire doesn't worksmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Isabelle Langeveld -

I tried to use the Feedback module in the course for my signupform. I don't want it on the frontpage. Allowed guest to submit but it did not work. Besides the form looks ugly.

We will hack the questionnaire module.

by Joseph Rézeau -

That's right, the Feedback module only allows un-loggedin users (guests) to take a Feedback on a moodle site's front page, not in courses.

If you manage to hack Questionnaire (moodle 2.0) to allow guests to answer it, please report your hack in this discussion.

Joseph

by Michiel Boerman -

Hi, for isabelle's site I changed the captype for the 'submit' permission (in mod/questionnaire/db/access.php) from 'write' to 'read'.  This will prevent Moodle from enforcing it's guests-dont-subit rule.

This is obviously a quick and dirty, temporary solution.

I'm working on a better hack, that will add a 'Allow guests to submit' field in the questionnaire settings form. I'll submit that here when it's ready.

Michiel

In reply to Michiel Boerman

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Michiel,

I had thought of that hack but did not want to "advertise" it since it is, as you say, a rather dirty hack and runs counter Moodle 2.0's security settings.

You might have a look at the solution used by the Feedback module for Moodle 2.0. From what I have understood it is rather ingenious - but only works for feedback instances on a moodle site's front page, not inside courses.

Thanks in advance for posting your own hack when it's ready.

Joseph

by François Brun -

I have still the same problem under moodle 2.0 with the last version and I need guest to fill questionnaire like I used in moodle 1.9.

Is there a new version of the questionnaire you are working on ?

In reply to François Brun

by Joseph Rézeau -

Sorry, no progress on that feature. All development on the Questionnaire module is currently stopped, pending the development of a new "Survey/Quetionnaire" module hopefully for Moodle 2.2.

See Survey 2 brainstorm (to which you may contribute)

Joseph

by Rex Lorenzo -

Michiel, did you ever figure out how to add public questionnaires? We are running into the same problem here and would like to use whatever you came up with.

by Jeremy Schwartz -

Hello Michiel,

Have you found a way to make the Questionnaire public, as I have one on my Moodle v.2.5 frontpage?  Please let me know what you suggest will work. I tried updating the access.php file, but that change did not appear to make any difference.  Guests can not even open the questionnaire.  If you have a php file that works, please can you post it to this forum?

Thanks,

Jeremy

In reply to Jeremy Schwartz

by Mary Cooch -

Jeremy- would the standard feedback module not suit your purposes? It allows guest access on the front page.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Andreas Glombitza -

Hi,

I found this entry after encountering the exact same problem, albeit on a 1.9 installation (almost drove me nuts!) - mingled answers and seemingly "pre-filled" questionnaires.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (Joseph?), but there seems to be a simple workaround: no pagebreaks, then every "guest" has only one submit button, no mingling possible. Right?

Best,

Andi

In reply to Andreas Glombitza

by Joseph Rézeau -

@ Andreas,

Probably, yes. But you'll have to test it.

Joseph

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luis Barriocanal -

This is the main reason for using Moodle and Questionnaire module at my school. We use this module for asking pupils, visitors and other people their opinions about teaching, programs, etc.

After a very hard upgrade process of my site from 1.9 version, I realize that guest can't view a questionnaire.

Is possible any hack?

Thanks

In reply to Luis Barriocanal

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Luis,

If you need to ask opinions from all kind of people who are not all currently registered on your Moodle site, I recommend using a survey tool which is outside of Moodle. I recommend the excellent LimeSurvey software, which can work for anonymous users. It's free and opensource.

Joseph

by Luis Barriocanal -

Thanks Joseph.

Your questionnaire module is better than lime survey for us: easier configuration, better reports and much more.

In reply to Luis Barriocanal

by Jenny Gray -

I have guests viewing the questionnaire and responses on OpenLearn, which is still running on 1.9.  We're just setting that up on 2.x but nothing has changed in the code for the questionnaire around permissions and I don't see any problems with similar guest access.

Can you tell me what you have your questionnaire settings as, and what the guest role permissions are defined as?  You should be able to do what you want to do, I think - though personally I haven't tried guest submission of surveys.

In reply to Jenny Gray

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Jenny. Are you saying that guests can complete questionnaires in Moodl 2? Because my experience has been that they haven't been able to - due to some security setting Joseph knows about (but that I dont' understand)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jenny Gray -

No, I'm saying I'm not sure but I know that guests can view the questions and view previous responses.

I've never tried getting guests to submit a questionnaire.  There may be a restriction - whether it could be removed or not might be up for discussion.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Mary, Jenny, and others taking part in this discussion.

I have clearly explained that, for security reasons new to Moodle 2 it is currently not possible for guests to answer questionnaires. See my post here.

Joseph

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

Joseph wrote: (...) it does not make much sense to allow guests (non-logged in users) to answer a questionnaire. If only because if it so happened that 2 (or more) guests were answering the same questionnaire at the same time, their responses would be "mingled" and the result would be meaningless.

I've just tested this (Moodle 2.2.2+) and as it turns out there is no problem with two people answering the questionnaire if all of the questionnaire questions are on one page. If you have a paged questionnaire, some responses may be lost.

by Nathan Hutchings -
I am also getting the same problem, I am going to try the work around of getting users to login as a student
In reply to Nathan Hutchings

by Aaron Johnson -

It's been a long time since this problem was reported... Did anyone ever find a solution for this or did everyone just give up???

In reply to Aaron Johnson

by Joseph Rézeau -

I have clearly explained that, for security reasons new to Moodle 2 it is currently not possible for guests to answer questionnaires. See my post here.

Joseph