Can't find "Force users to use My Moodle"

Can't find "Force users to use My Moodle"

by Francis Vila -
Number of replies: 10

Hi al,

I am trying to get deliver a custom content to different users so that each can see the courses that concern them and not the other ones.

I read about a "Force users to use My Moodle" checkbox in Administration > Appearance > My Moodle. I am using Moodle 2 and I don't have any My Moodle entry under Appearance. See image attachment.

Starting out with Moodle 2 is quite frustrating because the documentation covers Moode 1, with sometimes an article about differences between the two, and sometimes an article among developers discussing what should be done in Moodle 2; the result is I never know what applies to me or not...

Francis

Attachment myMoodle.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francis Vila

Re: Can't find "Force users to use My Moodle"

by Francis Vila -

Found a way of setting the default home page to the My Moodle page: (in Moodle 2):
Site Admin > Appearance > Navigation

But still no way to avoid the user having full access to all courses via
Navigation > My Home > Courses

I read elsewhere about an option named Navigation > My Home > My Courses but I don't have the My Courses, only Courses. Is it that the feature is not yet implemented? Or am I missing something?

In reply to Francis Vila

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hide the navigation block:

Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > manage blocks > Turn the Eye to OFF on Navigation.

In reply to William Lu

by Francis Vila -

I hid Navigation as you suggested. It does not prevent the user from accessing the front page: both http://siteName and http://siteName/my remain accessible.

I can hide categories and courses (Admin > Courses > Add-edit courses), but I can't find a way of making them visible only to certain users.

In reply to Francis Vila

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you don't want anyone to use the home page and you're okay for a low-tech slightly hacky solution, this is a two minute fix.

Just add an Apache redirect for / and /index.php to redirect to /my/.

Or am I missing something?

--sam

In reply to Francis Vila

by Website Designer -

Thanks for that My Moodle tip, I didn't even know My Moodle existing, this seems a much more logical page to present to the learner. Still the site home link takes you back to the normal homepage but I'll have to dig around to figure out how to get rid of that.

In reply to Website Designer

Svar: Re: Can't find "Force users to use My Moodle"

by Flosi Kristjánsson -

Setting default home page for users:

Site management > Appearance > Navigation

Choose My Moodle from the drop-down menu next to Default home page for users. After that the Navigation menu will show Home at the top and Site home as the second choice. If you select Site for the Default home page, the Navigation will show Home at the top, meaning Site home, and My home as the second choice, meaning My Moodle (my courses and pending assignments)

In reply to Flosi Kristjánsson

Re: Svar: Re: Can't find "Force users to use My Moodle"

by John Fitchett -

How can I get the 'My Moodle' page working like in Moodle 1.9 - I.E. When admin logs in, they go to the site home page, but all other users go to the 'MyMoodle' page?

In reply to John Fitchett

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hello John

You can accomplish this by the same method as described by Flosi. When you set "default home page for users = My Moodle" then the admin will see site home page whereas other users will see My Moodle page.

Happy Moodlingsmile

In reply to S. kavita

by John Fitchett -

Thank you Kavita

I guess the issue is that I find the 'Navigation' block excessively un intuitive - it is not very user friendly at all, so I have disabled it on my site. What I am after is that the admin can always click on 'home' in the breadcrumbs and see the front page of the site, whilst other users will go straight to the mymoodle page.

I also find it excessively annoying editing the front page when mymoodle is set as compulsory as every time I click any button on the front page, when the page refreshes, it takes me back to the mymoodle page, so I have to the navigate back to the front page (using the url for the front page with 'redirect=0' at the end).

How can this be made easier? I don't want to have to turn off making the mymoodle page compulsory every time I want to edit the front page of the site....