How do students see assessments from their peers?

How do students see assessments from their peers?

by Daniel Wright -
Number of replies: 16

Hello folks.  I'm fairly new to Moodle and am supporting a course using the Workshop activity (in 2.0.1).

Peer assessment is turned on in the workshop, and students have been divided into two groups.  They submit writing examples which are reviewed by their peers using a provided rubric with scores and comments.

How does the student see the assessment or feedback on his writing?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I must just be missing something here.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Wright

Re: How do students see assessments from their peers?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Daniel,

please see Workshop module docs page first. Shortly, what you need to do is:

1. Set-up workshop instance
  2. Define the assessment form
  3. Switch the workshop into the Submission phase
  4. Wait for students submit their work
  5. Allocate submissions for peer-review
  6. Switch the workshop into Assessment phase
  7. Wait for assessments are done
  8. Switch the workshop into Grading evaluation phase
  9. Calculate final grades
  10. Switch the workshop into Closed phase so that authors get access to the assessments of their work and grades are pushed into the gradebook.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Daniel Wright -

Thanks David - yes, I've reviewed the module documentation and searched forums, but still have this question.  The workshop is all the way through the closed phase now.  However, what gets posted in the Gradebook is the assessment score and teacher feedback, like this:

Workshop Grades View

It appears to me that there is no way for the student to see the comments or feedback provided by peers during the peer assessment process.  They can only see the score given and the feedback provided by the teacher.

Was something missed in setting up the peer assessment or grading process?  I also think it's odd that the student has to wait until all grades have been given to all students and the workshop is closed before being able to see the results of the peer assessment.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Correct - only the teacher's feedback is recorded in the Gradebook (if it is present). A student can see feedback from all peer-reviewers who were assessing his/her submission in the Workshop activity itself, once it is closed.

Results of peer-assessment can not be available during the Assessment phase because the received assessment could bias the giving assessment. And the results can not be published during the Grading evaluation phase too as they are not final. The teacher can override them yet, change weights etc. It would be confusing for students if the given grade would change several times.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Jorge Villalon -

Hi David. I have a problem using 2.0.2+, teacher's comments made on the assessments are not copied to the gradebook, it works well with teacher's comments on the submission but not on the assessment.

¿Am I missing something?

In reply to Jorge Villalon

by David Mudrák -
Hi Jorge. Yes, that is intentional. As every Workshop participant can submit just one submission, we can copy the teacher's feedback on that submission to the Gradebook. But, the participant does several assessments usually, each one with its own feedback. So there is no way how to get them all into a single feedback field in the gradebook.

Hope it clarifies a bit.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Jorge Villalon -
It does. But, where can students see that feedback?
In reply to Jorge Villalon

by David Mudrák -
Aha... you are right - that is a bug and I just created MDL-27550 for that. Thanks for letting me know!
In reply to David Mudrák

by Jorge Villalon -

Thanks David. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators

Hello,

We've just started to try this great Moodle 2.0 workshop activity module with our students, and we've run into a similar question.

We're wondering if, when workshop is closed, is there any way for students to see (perhaps anonymously) the various assessments received for their work, including probably the teacher's one.

It would be great to be able to see them, as they often contain valuable information about how your peers see your work (grading and feedback for each "dimension" or aspect, not just the aggregate)

As far as we can see, once workshop is closed the student can only see the assessments she made, not the ones she received.

Or perhaps am I missing something?

In reply to Orestes Mas

by Chuck Gobin -

I've read this entire thread, and the key question appears to remain unanswered: how do students read or gain access to the comments made by their assessors?

This is not apparent just from looking at the screen.  The student must click on their submission, and then scroll down below their submission to see the comments and scores from each of their assessors, including any commentary from the instructor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this information is only available AFTER the Workshop has been closed.

In reply to Chuck Gobin

by Sam Mudle -

I've read this entire thread, and the key question appears to remain unanswered: how do students read or gain access to the comments made by their assessors?

Yes I wish this feature existed in the workshop, I required my students to type in the comments field if they dont' give a perfect score for any item on the rubric.

However, I was saddened by the fact if a student got a low score, there's no way to pull up these comments, nor the specific scores. sad  This is what the official help says:

Accumulative grading: Comments and a grade are given regarding the aspects of the workshop specified.

The comments from their peers will point out the weakness of their work, which is generally difficult to find out by themselves.

Well, when my students click on the closed workshop, they can't see any comments.

I would like my students to be able to dispute the scores and see why they got the score they did. 

How can students find the values of the comments field? Is this stored in the database?

CORRECTION:  The students have to not only click once on the gradebook, but they have to click their Submission Title to see the list of comments.  That wasn't clear in the instructions.

In reply to Sam Mudle

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by David Mudrák -
Have you defined the assessment form for this workshop?
In reply to David Mudrák

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Antonia Bonaccorso -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I encountered the same problem yesterday - and found the solution this morning.

The Moodle workshop module offers two possibilities to switch from submission to assessment phase:

1. you switch manually
  2. you specify the availability of submission and assessment phase in the workshop settings and tick "Switch to next phase after submission deadline"
If you chose the second option as I did it is still possible to switch phases manually. I did this to shortly test whether in the assessment phase I could see the assessment form  as a student. I could not. The reason is that the settings from option 2 override the manual switch (option 1). So when I was testing, the assessment phase was not yet available for students - and therefore I as a student could not see the assessment form. As soon as the assessment phase was available for students, I could also see the assessment form.