Corporatizing of Moodle

Corporatizing of Moodle

by LauriBeth Hull -
Number of replies: 9

So my Blackboard counterpart here in the district has been having great difficulties with BB upgrades and patches and when I mentioned Moodle (yet again). He said that Moodle was being corporatized and that he had heard people could no longer say they were on a Moodle platform because of demands from corporate partners.

I tried a Google search and a search of the Moodle forums. Did I miss something?

I know there are coprorate partners with third party plugins, but this hit me out of left field. Does anyone have any info on this?

LauriBeth Hull

Average of ratings: -
In reply to LauriBeth Hull

Re: Corporatizing of Moodle

by ben reynolds -

Not true. Search on Moodle Partners and you'll find some thread that refuses to die. It is fascinating reading.

by Marc Grober -
WHy don;'t you tell your colleague that at

.... twenty minutes before eight, central time, Professor Farrell of the Mount Jennings Observatory, Chicago, Illinois, reports observing several explosions of incandescent gas, occurring at regular intervals on the planet Mars. The spectroscope indicates the gas to be hydrogen and moving towards the earth with enormous velocity. Professor Pierson of the Observatory at Princeton confirms Farrell's observation, and describes the phenomenon as, quote, "like a jet of blue flame shot from a gun," unquote.

Average of ratings: Fairly cool (3)

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Lauribeth,

Tell your friends to go to Moodle downloads. Versions 1.9 and 2.0 are still free and open source (Blackboard is proprietory). Given Moodle's ten year history of free and open source, I expect it will continue that way.

Our university continues to fund plugin development for Moodle and releases them as GPL. We plan to continue that for the future, updating our plugins (ie: Sharing Cart, Project Course Format) for Moodle 2.0. All free and open source.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi all

Could somebody explain me what corporatizing means here? I've never heard it. A random websearch braught me, "to subject to corporate ownership or control" as in "afraid that medicine was becoming corporatized". http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corporatized

Is that right?

Now to the story or stories your counterpart has heard. Could you ask him to put them in writing? I'm sure he'll find a big enough audience. ;-(

by Paul Cook -

There is some truth in that but a little out of context. To offer moodle hosting services or indeed to run the moodle logo in your business window you need to get approval from the Moodle board. In some respects this allows large corporates control that are approved but as far as I can see it is also a quality issue rather than a corporate control issue? After all Moodle is operated under an open source licence not a perpetual licence like Blackboard. btw I am a Moodle consultant based in Hull if it helps? smile

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

LauriBeth,

What your colleague may be referring to is that many Moodle partners now are hosting their own distribution of Moodle (Remote Learner has Elis, Moodlerooms has Joule) which are only available as hosted solutions (similar to the blackboard model).  The general public can't get copies of these distributions, they must be paid/hosted by the Moodle partners.

That said, even the partners do offer Moodle as a hosted solution and there are 100s of capable consultants world wide which have a track record of good service and hosting of Moodle (the very same download you'd find here at Moodle.org).

Best of luck with your LMS!

-Joe

by Bryan Williams -

LauriBeth,

While Moodle started life within an academic environment (Martin D. was once upon a time a WebCT admin) it has been used by corporate training departments for at least 6-7 years now. The adoption by corporate has accelerated in recent years for the same reason it has accelerated in the academic environment.  Reasons are: a.) Moodle is as good as and in many ways better than most of the commercial alternatives and b.), commercial LMS platforms have gotten really expensive. Moodle remains free!

Corporate may use Moodle in different ways than academic organizations, however delivering on learning objectives is a common outcome.  There is not as much emphasis on formal testing in corporate learning environments and the social collaborative features may be more widely used.  Corporate is more concerned with quickly building competencies and getting groups working together on shared problems and challanges.  Managers have different ways of assessing learning outcomes than the use of grades, so other features in Moodle are often more important. Moodle is also widely used by corporate for regulatory compliance training.

While most of us may spend the first 20-25 years of our lives in a formal academic learning environment, we spend the balance of our lives in a workplace setting where learning is life long, and often more informally structured. Corporate spends significant sums of money supporting many forms of workplace learning. In the past decade corporate has learned that having a trained workforce is the only way they will retain any kind of global competitive advantage. Moodle facilitates this well and some Moodle partners have focused on this area of application as a core part of their business. This has resulted in features being added by Moodle partners that support different ways of tracking and structuring the learning experience for the corporate user.  BTW: one post to this thread has misleadingly stated that the ELIS solution from Remote-Learner is a commercial offering much like Blackboard. This is totally false.  ELIS is licensed exactly like Moodle (open source) and in fact will have a community distribution and support very soon. A second such solution is now coming available from another Moodle partner and will be licensed the same way.

Lastly, your Bb counterpart is simply stating Blackboard spin. In fact, there is not two separate versions of Moodle (one academic and one corporate). There is simply different ways people have found they can use Moodle. This is a core strength of Moodle. That is, being open source it does not force you to use it the way some all knowing commercial software vendor says you must. Use it however you want in support of your learners.

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Bryan, My apologies for the misleading info.  My sense from the website (and from my conversations with Moodlerooms) was that ELIS and Joule were not available for download and could not be self-hosted.  I'm glad to see that at least one of those will be publicly available soon.

As for the commercial offering similar to Blackboard, Elis may not fit the bill, but Joule currently does (at this time).  It's my understanding that it's only available through Moodlerooms and cannot be self-hosted (which is pretty similar to Blackboard's hosting model; licenses and underlying business plan aside).