Quiz modifications and WebCT import - multiple choice

Quiz modifications and WebCT import - multiple choice

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Number of replies: 18
I'm one of those guys who are making the move from webct to moodle in September/October, so I'm very much interested in having an import filter for transferring quiz questions.

I'm no good at php, so I'm going to have this done by a programmer. The first step will be to introduce a few changes to question types which already exist in moodle in order to make them more 'compatible' with webct. I hope these modifications will also enhance the potential of moodle quizzes. The second step will be to introduce a brand-new question type ("long answer"), which the staff at my institution use a lot and which does not exist in moodle. Eventually, it should be possible to create a pretty smooth import routine.

I am going to announce changes which I am planning here in this forum for a brainstorming discussion. As I said, I'm not a programmer, so I'd be very grateful for any tips about how to approach these modifications code-wise and database-wise. I will be passing on these comments to the programmer who's going to work on the modifications.

The first thing I'll try are a few modifications of the multiple-choice question type:

1/ Allow for more than 6 choices for each question: a "More Choices" button will be added at the bottom of the page – each time it is pressed, the page will be reloaded and three more options will be added added.

2/ Since it will be possible to have more than 6 choices, grade fractions will need to be assigned to each answer in free-form text field, rather than the drop-down selection list, as it is now.

There are also two modifications which might be useful, but are not so important:

3/ Add a "general Feedback" field for the whole question. This will allow to comment on the question as a whole, rather than on individual options only.

4/ With multiple answers allowed, introduce an option to score either cumulatively or in the all-or-nothing manner, i.e. the student may select some of the correct answers only and s/he will get a fraction of the score for the whole question, ors/he has to select ALL correct answers and gets eithjer the whole score or nothing.

I have attached sample files with the interface as it is now and as it will look like after the modifications.

Let me know what you think of these plans, especially if you can see any pitfalls I should be aware of.

Cheers,
Przemek
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: Quiz modifications and WebCT import

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Ah, just one thing more - a request to Martin:

Having our modifications integrated into the main moodle disctribution is our great priority, so can you please let me know when I come up with anything that you will not want to use?

Re: Quiz modifications and WebCT import - multiple choice

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
1, 3 and 4 are good ideas and should fit in without a problem.

2 will need some thought. I'm against the free text field because it will make things more confusing for new users

- when I used to support WebCT, the free text fields there would always confuse teachers (and me too!) when they were first confronted with it.

- some feedback from people here at the conference has been that one of the main thing they like about Moodle is that the interface is obvious and fairly self-documenting ... I'd like to keep that (and improve it further).

So, perhaps one idea is to auto-generate the menu with common fractions depending on the number of answers... there might be other ways ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
In what way can this free text field be confusing? If the "%" sign follows, it seems to me pretty self-explanatory.

Can you explain in some detail how this auto-generating of fractions could work?

Another idea - not to include the fraction field at all wink Instead, include a checkbox marked "correct answer" next to each option.

In the case of "one-answer-only" question, there is no problem - the only correct answer is worth 100%, all others - 0%.

In the case of "multiple-answers-allowed" questions the fractions could be calculated automatically. I can see two ways how it can be done (imagine an example question with 7 options, 3 correct and 4 incorrect):
1/ each correct answer is worth 33,33%, each incorrect answer is worth -25%; i.e. all correct answers add up to 100%, all incorrect answers add up to -100%.
2/ each answer is worth 1/7 of the score (ca 14,29%), i.e. each answer is weighted equally (no minus points). The student receives 14,29% for each answer identical to the key, i.e. for each incorrect answer s/he doesn't check, and for each correct answer s/he checks.

What do you think?

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I've just noticed that I cannot download the mulichoice.zip file that I attached to my message. For those of you having the same problem, here's an alternative location:

http://stencel.wsl.edu.pl/temp_files/moodle/multichoice.zip

BTW: is anyone else having problems dowloading this file, or is it only me?

Re: Quiz modifications and WebCT import - short-answer

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Here's the second installments of quiz modifications I'm planning (now short-answer questions):

Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are the same as for multiple choice.

4/ It will be possible to have more than one answerbox for each question.

5/ If there is more than one answerbox for a given question, the answers can be allowed in a specified answerbox, or in any answerbox.

The attached zip file contains samples of both the question design view and the quiz view.

Modifications 4 and 5 are illustrated in the attached file, attempt.php_shortanswer_modified.html

The first question in this file illustrates the following situation:
Question: Write two translations of the Polish word "dom"
Number of answerboxes: 2
Answer 1: house Grade: 50%
Allow in answerbox no.: All
Answer 2: home Grade: 50%
Allow in answerbox no.: All
Both answers are allowed in "All" answerboxes, because it does not matter in what order the student enters them.

The second question illustrates how this can be used to create cloze questions:
Question: In 1846 an Irish immigrant in New York named Alexander Stewart opened a business called the Marble Dry-Goods Palace. By (1)_____ so, he gave the world something completely new - the department store. Before this, no-one (2)_____ tried to bring together such a wide range of goods (3)_____ a single roof. The business did very (4)_____. It expanded rapidly and soon had a staff of two thousand. For Stewart even that was not enough, (5)_____.
Number of answerboxes: 5
Answer 1: doing Grade: 20%
Allow in answerbox no.: 1
Answer 2: had Grade: 20%
Allow in answerbox no.: 2
Answer 3: under Grade: 20%
Allow in answerbox no.: 3
Answer 4: beneath Grade: 20%
Answer 5: underneath Grade: 20%
Answer 6: well Grade: 20%
Allow in answerbox no.: 4
Answer 7: though Grade: 20%
Allow in answerbox no.: 5
Answer 8: however Grade: 20%
Allow in answerbox no.: 5
Please note that in this case answers are not allowed in ANY answerbox, but in the one corresponding to one of the blanks in the text. Moreover, answerboxes 3 and 5 have a few alternative correct answers.

And here's the alternative download location of the attached file:
http://stencel.wsl.edu.pl/temp_files/moodle/shortanswer.zip

by Thomas Robb -
I'm not sure why you would want to develop something that does cloze items in such an awkward way. (Responses at the bottom rather than embedded in the text.)

Wouldn't it be better to create quizzes of this nature with Hot Potatoes or as separate javascript entities that can then be integrated into Moodle using the Resource functionality?
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ger Tielemans -

If you put your quizzes somewhere public on the web, Hotpotatoes is free, so lots of people develop quizzes. Import would be nice...

I created some exercises with HP, cutted away some layout and made a resource of it: still working, but of course as a blackbox. (release 6 of HP will even be better suited for this?)

Interesting operation would be to make a whitebox of it:

• exporting the individual results to Moodle : name time result etc. (like in the current SCORM standard)
  • cut and paste by hand is not for everone: so creating a kind of moodle-shell for this would be more interesting: selling it on the .com site as available import-filter
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
If you put your quizzes somewhere public on the web, Hotpotatoes is free, so lots of people develop quizzes. Import would be nice...More than nice smile Actually, it would be great to be able to import HP quizzes into Moodle and have all the tracking of a Moodle quiz.

Any takers? wink

by Thomas Robb -
Actually, yes, there is a taker -- me. I have other javascripted pages in addition to HP stuff that I would like to see integrated.

Actually, I think it will be easy to do. Give me a few weeks....
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Great! I'll be loking forward to that.

I'd also be interested to know how you're planning to do it. Can you fill me in a little if you already have some specific plans?

Cheers,
Przemek

by Thomas Robb -
What I am thinking of is pretty simple -- Hot Potatoes or other javascripted pages would include a short function which would output data to Moodle in the form of two parameters "event" and "content" which would normally be used to output "score" and a value, but could also be used for anything else programmed into the script such as start time, number of clicks, or whatever one would want to track.

A separate table in Moodle would record these two parameters plus userid, time, and the module that the data was received from. Additional, separate routines could then be written to extract specific information on each user's access.

For Hot Potatoes, it should be a relatively easy matter to write a routine in the Resource module that inputs an activity, then rewrites the file adding the necessary functionality to output the data required.

Does this make sense?
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Yes, I think it will be very useful.

However, I must admit that when I read your message about integrating hotpot quizzes into moodle I got a little carried away by enthusiasm and imagined a system which would track not only one value (e.g. the final score), but also all the student's answers. In my dreams it would become possible to start creating a moodle quiz with all its settings and then - instead of adding questions to the question bank and then to the quiz it would be possible to import questions from a hot potatoes datafiles (*.jbc, *.jmx, *.jmt, etc.) straight into the quiz. It would then be possible to use Hot Potatoes as a kind of off-line question-generating software for Moodle (similar to Respondus for Blackboard or WebCT).

That was in my dreams - in reality I know that it would involve quite a lot of work, so even simpler integration like the one you are describing will be great.

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

I don't use Moodle's quiz features and I know nothing about Hot Potatoes, so maybe I am talking complete nonsense.

Nevertheless I have some experience with integrating Moodle with other systems, namely WeBWorK.  WeBWorK generates symbolic math. homework, which I  link to a Moodle offline assignment.  The students' grades, which are generated in WeBWorK, are returned to Moodle using a web robot (curl).  The work involved in writing the appropriate Perl scripts to achieve this integration was fairly modest, less than a week.

Perhaps you could use a similar strategy to integrate Moodle quizes with Hot Potatoes?

In reply to Thomas Robb

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I'm not sure why you would want to develop something that does cloze items in such an awkward way.
You're absolutely right - it is awkward. I thought of it for two reasons: 1/ this is how it is made in webct, so doing it similarly would make import easier, and 2/ (more important) I cannot imagine a good web-based interface for creating cloze tests with the gaps embedded in the text. The way designing a cloze test is done in Hot Potatoes is very intuitive, but doing it similarly in Moodle would mean the necessity to reload the page very often, which would also be awkward. This is why I thought of doing it this way - with the response gaps at the bottom. In fact, creating an import routine from JCloze Hot Spud seems to me easier than creating a Moodle interface for the design of these questions. All in all, you made me think about it again and now I think I'm not going to do it in this awkward way but rather try to invent a simple web-based interface and then introduce the "proper" cloze question type. BTW: have you got any ideas how this could be done?

Wouldn't it be better to create quizzes of this nature with Hot Potatoes or as separate javascript entities that can then be integrated into Moodle using the Resource functionality?
Yes, but then you lose all the tracking features of a quiz.

by Thomas Robb -
No, you won't lose any of the tracking features *if* is is properly implemented and that is what I want to do. I firmly believe that tracking is extremely important and is one of the reasons right now why Hot Potatoes stuff can't be used practically in many educational situations. Without the instructor being able to know who has done what, and with what success, proper guidance and control is impossible.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Henrik Kaipe -

I have an idea of how to smoothly integrate HP-type multi-answer questions into the quiz framework. I would like to dig into this but there are some issues that I would like to have straightened out first.

Thomas - the solution that you have in mind, does it involve tracking through the ordinary quiz interfaces or are we talking about separate tracking instuments?

About WebCT imports -

-Are we talking about importing files created by or with WebCT?

-If that is the case, is the format of these files open and free for anyone to use? I am afraid not and therefore I am about to suggest a file format simular to the already implemented "Missing word format".

A file for a HP-type multi-answer question could look something like this:

Start of file:/
The first question is a multi choice question that will be positioned here {1:MULTICHOICE!Wrong answer|Feedback for this wrong answer~Another wrong answer|Feedback for the other wrong answer~=Correct answer|Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit|Feedback for half credit answer} and right after you will have to deal with this short answer {1:SHORTANSWER!Wrong answer|Feedback for this wrong answer~=Correct answer|Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit|Feedback for half credit answer} and finally we have a floating point number {2:NUMERICAL!=23.8:0.1|Feedback for correct answer 23.8~%50%N/A|Feedback for halfcredit answer in the nearby region of the correct answer}
/:End of file

Explanation of the format:
The colors above are not part of the format. They are just there to mark out the important parts.
 - { and } delimits each single answer and marks its position in the question text.
 - First there is the relative score for the answer in the question. It is the integer in purple followed by ':' . It will be normed to the questions total maximum grade on the quiz. In the example it would mean that the NUMERICAL answer is worth as much as the other two together. Default relative score is 1.
 - Then there is the
type of answer! Same as its corresponding question type.
 - The possible answer alternatives separated by ~ follows.
      - %50% denotes the alternative's fraction of the full grade of the correct answer. = denotes the correct answer and is the same thing as %100%. Default is %0%.
      - Starting with | there is the optional feedback at the end of each alternative.
      - For the numerical answer alternative there are the correct answer followed by ':' and the accepted error margin. If the ':' is omitted the answer alternative works like a case-insensitive shortanswer type answer alternative.

On the screen it would appear like this for the student:
>>>>
The first question is a multi choice question that will be positioned here [___V] and right after you will have to deal with this short answer ______ and finally we have a floating point number _______
<<<<

The [____V] would be a drop-down and ______ would be a text input field. Note that I wish to use different answer types at once (MULTICHOICE, SHORTANSWER and NUMERICAL).

In the database, I have the question get the new qtype=MULTIANSWER and then there will be the new table prefix_quiz_multianswer taking care of the additional multianswer options.

Any reflections?

In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I just have a comment about new import formats ... I know many of you have very specific needs and are trying to solve them as quickly as possible, but don't forget all the quiz formats out there that already exist.

WebCT: http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=341

IMS QTI: http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=342

Especially IMS. I know it's new, and difficult and horrible, but a standard does have advantages, in that you can use fancy editors to create the question, then dump them into the LMS. Check this demo out: http://www.canvaslearning.com/dynamic/ (start with the Learning Player Demo)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Henrik Kaipe -

I had a look at WebCT and IMS QTI.

WebCT should be easily accomplished but it does not fulfil our needs.

However, IMS QTI seems to satisfy our needs but, as you said, the complexity is too impressive so there is no way I will be able to implement it within the time-frame I have been given.mixed

I will probably keep on implementing the import mechanism for a file-format that is ruffly the same as above. Even thou this file-format eventually will end up as a dead end, the other framework I implement for a new multi-answer question-type could prove useful in the future when we start parsing the IMS QTI format. Therefore, I still hope that my future multi-answer contri will be accepted.