Gekko TwoPointOh Theme released.

Gekko TwoPointOh Theme released.

by Colin Wheelhouse -
Number of replies: 32

I have released today my latest theme called Gekko TwoPointOh for Moodle 2.0. It is an amalgamation/hybrid of several themes already in existence. I will not be able to make many changes to the theme for the forseeable future (Term starts again in 24hrs) so please bear with me if you are having any issues. Comments can also be posted via Twitter @i_moodle .

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Wheelhouse

Re: Gekko TwoPointOh Theme released.

by Tom How -

Hi I love the theme it fits nicely for me, I am having problems finding the CSS code for the pre login box where it sais login here, could you tell me where to change the colour of that link please?

In reply to Tom How

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Tom,

Please accept my apologies for the reallyslow reply. Rather than change the text colour try using this alternative logo image. Rename the old file logoold.png or similar and load this one into the Theme/pix/header folder. Clear the cache and you should be good to go.

www.i-moodle.com/moodle2.0 demo's new look header.

Cheers

Colin

Attachment logo.png

by Jon Williams -

hi i am quite new to moodle 2.0, i love the look and feel of this theme but need to make some changes to colours/logos etc. I have had a play around with editing the files in the pix folder but this does not seem to affect the theme ( do i need to do something with the cache?) or is it something to do with rendering?

sorry i am a little cluesless and can not seem to find a solution

J

In reply to Jon Williams

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Themes 2.0 FAQ is a good starting point. In the link that's provided in this document, you will find a whole set of interesting tutorials which explain what you need to do when customising Moodle2.0 themes.

Basically you need to enable Theme Designer Mode in Site Adminisitration>Appearance>Themes>Theme settings

HTH

Mary

by shanna falgoust -

The picture of your theme shows a bar with what looks to be links, above the breadcrum. Yet, when I downloaded the theme and applied it, that bar was not there. I was hoping to utilize a bar with drop-down menus. Does this exist in your theme?

In reply to shanna falgoust

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Shanna,

you need to add the links in the custom menu section on the theme settings page. The theme has this, but will not display the bar if there is nothing to fill it with.

The theme settings page has an example menu that can be copied and pasted into the box to try it out, or used as a template for adding your own links.

HTH

Richard

by Carol Dobson -

I have tweeked this theme to suit with new colours, different header, etc. However, I was testing on my laptop with wide screen (Windows 7, IE and Firefox) and works wonderfully, however, on the desktop the main background colour is twice as wide as it should be (Windows XP, IE) - it keeps on running past the right margin.

What do I need to change in which file to stop this happening?

Attachment moodle-prob.jpg
In reply to Carol Dobson

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carol,

If you open style/pagelayout.css using Notepad, you will see this code towards the top of the page...

#page-content {
    position:relative;   /* This fixes the IE7 overflow hidden bug and stops the layout jumping out of place */
    clear:both;
    float:left;
    width:100%;             /* width of whole page */
    background:#fff;        /* Left column background colour */
}

You need to copy the line I have highlighted and ADD it to #page-content-outer like so...

#page-content-outer {
    clear:both;
    margin: 0 auto;
    width:96%;
    padding: 0 2%;
    overflow:hidden;        /* This chops off any overhanging divs */
    background:#fff;        /* Left column background colour */
    position:relative;   /* This fixes the IE7 overflow hidden bug and stops the layout jumping out of place */
}

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carol Dobson -

Thank you, thank you. I checked it at home and it worked there, so some little glitche here in the work setup.

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

In reply to Carol Dobson

by Mary Evans -

If you need more help then just say so! smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carol Dobson -

Another slight problem. I wanted to hide topic outline and topic numbering from my site. I changed the pagelayout.css to:

/*#page-site-index .headingblock {

margin-bottom:9px;

margin-left: 3px;

}*/

.path-course-view. headingblock, /*hide "topic outline" and section numbers in course view*/
.course-content ul.topics li.section .left{
 display: none;

}

It worked a treat on the laptop running locally with firefox, tried it on the live site with IE and nothing happened mixed. I'm starting to tear out any hair that I have.

In reply to Carol Dobson

by Thomas Hanley -

Hi Carol,

Firstly, have you stacked your own theme onto of Gekko? This is the preferable method as if there is a later update to Gekko and you wish to use it then any modifications that you have made to your current Gekko theme would be overwritten.

I am working on a new theme built on top of the latest Aardvark. I also wished to remove anything to do with topics as part of my desire to eliminate the scroll of death. The css below works for me. Have tested in IE8 and IE7, but not IE6 because a tiny fraction of our users make use of this browser.

/*Hide the pointless label 'Topic Outline'*/
div.course-content h2.headingblock
{font-size:0;
display:none;
}

/* Topic number is pointless so remove it for teachers */

.course-content .topics .section .left {
}

Hope this helps

~thomas

In reply to Carol Dobson

by Mary Evans -

Hi Carol,

I'm not surprised you have the code wrong...first I would have added the comment above the code and not in it.

/*hide "topic outline" and section numbers in course view*/

.path-course-view. headingblock,
.course-content ul.topics li.section .left {
}

Secondly, the dot is in the wrong place it should be attached to .headingblock NOT tagged onto .path-course-view!!!

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carol Dobson -

Thank you both for your feedback. Site working beautifully.

In reply to Carol Dobson

by Carol Dobson -

I'm sorry but I've got another problem. Everything is working great, however I cannot see the arrows to the right of topics which I can use to move topics up/down. They are visible as the page builds, but once all visible, they go into hiding. I still have icons for displaying just one topic, highlighting a topic and hiding a topic.

by Adam Blake -

Hi thanks for the awesome themes.

i have gekko running on my 1.9 site and have made a 2.0 site to get working before i upgrade the main site.

i am having trouble finding the code to adjust the blocks to have different headers on the left and right.

also getting the custom menu to show how i want it. fairly happy with the menu on the 1.9 site but trying to get the background to do what i want on 2.0 is becoming a nightmare.

mainly trying to get the top menu colour to be once color on hover and the menu a differnt color then changeing on hover agian. hop this make sence.

1.9 site http://34squadron.org.nz

2.0 site http://sitetest.34squadron.org.nz

In reply to Adam Blake

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

If you download my Aardvark Makeover theme HERE and check out the aardvark_menu.css you will, or should be able to see where the colors are for the menu, as the Gekko theme was built on my theme.

If you then rename all the colors codes you find in the menu with red, blue, green, orange, purple and yellow and view the theme you will see which areas have those  colors. Then you can set about changing the menu to suit your needs. That's how I learnt which sections of the CSS worked together in the menu.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Sorry, more problems

by Carol Dobson -

I have successfully backed up a course which uses Gekko TwoPointOh. However, when restoring, I'm getting

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class theme_gekko_twopointoh_core_renderer in Q:\ISUMoodle\moodle\theme\gekko_twopointoh_TES\renderers.php on line 122

Can someone please advise what to change, as I didn't touch this file when I customised the colours in the theme.

In reply to Carol Dobson

Re: Sorry, more problems

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

It looks very much like the theme you changed from "gekko_twopointoh" to "gekko_twopointoh_TES" still has some reference to "gekko_twopointoh"

That is why you are getting this ERROR...

Cannot redeclare class theme_gekko_twopointoh_core_renderer

If you look you will probably fing "theme_gekko_twopointoh_core_renderer"  in gekko_twopointoh_TES/renderers.php

where you will need to change

theme_gekko_twopointoh_core_renderer

to read...

theme_gekko_twopointoh_TES_core_renderer

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think you are lining youreslf up for trouble in the future using mixed case there.

If you want to be sure to avoid problems, call your theme gekkotwotes, or something. That is, all lower-case, and no _ in the name.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Carol Dobson -

Thanks Tim. I have been renaming themes to be all lower case. However, now I cannot get a list of themes to change to a different theme, even if I wanted to. I tried naming the themes in the theme settings, but no go. Also, if I select course themes in site admin, I cannot edit any of the settings in the courses.

I also periodically get an error message for line 53 in the html, which all points to log in information in the header.

In reply to Carol Dobson

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Where are you trying to rename the themes themselves?

If you check out here that should point you in the right direction for renaming any themes you have made that need to be changed.

What error message are you getting?

Richard

In reply to Carol Dobson

by Mary Evans -

Carol this is not making much sense.

Can you explain where exactly you are with regards this theme or group of themes you have created?

It may be that you just need to PURGE all caches ...

Site Administration > Developement > Purge all caches

Can you LIST the themes you made? If possible can you create zip files of these themes and send theme to me webmaster at visible-expression dot co dot uk ? Then I can check them for you.

Cheers

Mary

Profileblock - display Full Name?

by Jenny Gainsford -

Hi,

I'm editing a theme for my school as we prepare to move over to Moodle 2 and am stuck on how to make the Profile Block show First Name and Last Name.

This is the code I have for this line but only First Name shows. Can anyone advise?

echo html_writer::tag('h1', get_string('usergreeting', 'theme_gekko_twopointoh', $USER->firstname, $USER->lastname));

Thanks

Jenny

How do I resize blocks?

by Jenny Gainsford -

Hi,

I've been playing around with this theme and have customised colours and images but only issue is that some blocks don't fit into the layout - e.g. MIS Portal Block and login block (see attached image). Can anyone advise how to make blocks wider without breaking the whole theme? Thanks!

block

In reply to Jenny Gainsford

Re: How do I resize blocks?

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

When you say there is a problem with some blocks not fitting into the layout, what exactly do you mean?  Most blocks resize acording to the CSS written into the theme. The image you uploaded is not really telling me anything, and your description of the problem is a little vague. If you could expand on it that would be great.

In fact if I could see the problem first had then I may be able to help you.

Is there any chance I could see this theme live?  If so, can you send me login details in a private message?

Cheers

Mary

Re: Gekko TwoPointOh Theme released - Grader Report Issue

by Lori Bakken -

I am currently using this theme in 2.2.  The issue I'm having is with the grader report.  Could you/anyone recommend changes to fix this?

See attached screen shot

Attachment Grades- View.png
In reply to Lori Bakken

by Mary Evans -

I'll need to check this out in the theme.

I'll be back with a fix if I can find one.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Lori Bakken -

I've kind of fixed things in a really crazy way, I've added the standard tab css settings in and did a bunch of specific page css in the gekko.css file (page meaning $page-grade-report-grader-index definitions) just so I wouldn't mess anything else up.  and I've kind of gotten it to work.

There's gotta be an easier way.  I was surprised that the standard tabs were not automatically carried over -- and from what I recal when I started updating these things, realized that the standard theme is not loaded on these reports??  Not consistently coded compared to the rest of the moodle pages? Not sure what's going on.

I pretty much have it looking like what I want but It's expanding over 100% of the screen and I haven't been able to diagnose why.  But It will do for now.  Would be nice to have something that did work perfectly though.