Student's not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

Student's not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by Steve Lewis -
Number of replies: 31

I'd really like the student's to be notified when the teachers make comments and grade their assignment's using the "Online Text" feature.   The teacher checks the box saying the student should be notified and it just doesn't happen.

Is this feature broken in Moodle 2.0.  If it is I'll just leave it alone now until it is fixed.

Thank you,

-Steve Lewis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Lewis

Re: Students not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve. I will go and check this and get back to yousmile Have you got -in the student's messaging preferences -assignment notifications set to "email"?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm..well.. I did an online text assignment as two separate students and neither of the emails has arrived... would someone else like to test this or post a suggestion before we think it must be a bug?thoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Lewis -

I spent hours testing this in Moodle 2.0.    Thanks Mary for verifying that it doesn't work in your Moodle 2.0 installation either.   If anyone thinks of anything that will make this work again let us know.    Thank you.

In reply to Steve Lewis

by Mary Cooch -

I have made a tracker entry here http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25806 - still don't know if we are missing something but hopefully this will alert others and we might get some more inputsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Just "upping" this as I am wondering if anyone else has this problem or if there is an  issue with our own installs? http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25806

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mary, thanks for reporting the problem in the Moodle Tracker and apologies for the delay in triaging the issue. You may (or may not!) have noticed that we're trying to improve our procedures, however there remains a huge backlog of issues which have not yet been looked at. Thanks for your patience.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Steve Lewis -

Hi Helen,

I'm Steve and I created this thread.   Mary also couldn't get "Email Notification to Students" when teachers comment or grade student's assignments.

What Mary and I really want to confirm is that it really is a Moodle 2.0 bug or if there needs to be adjustments in our Moodle 2.0 Server settings.

To all the 2.0 Moodlers out there, even if no one out there has a solution can people weigh in that they are having the same problem.   It will only take 5 minutes to test this in your Moodle 2.0.  Then we can stop looking for a solution and just wait for the fix.

Thank you,

-Steve Lewis

In reply to Steve Lewis

by Andreas Panagiotopoulos -

This problem also exists in moodle v.1.9.xx in advanced upload of files!!

And I was thinking that such problems would have found solution in moodle 2....thoughtful

In reply to Steve Lewis

by Dennis Fulton -

I have the same issue with 2.0.1.  We really need to get this fixed.

In reply to Dennis Fulton

by Steve Lewis -

I really think that student's receiving emails that their assignment has been commented on and graded is very important.   I hope it gets priority on the bug fix list.   I am actually surprised that others don't seem as concerned.   It makes me think that I may be doing wrong and it really does work.    Anyway, let us know if you see any progress on this.

In reply to Steve Lewis

by Mary Cooch -

That would be THIS in the tracker -MDL-25806 Vote - votebig grin

In reply to Steve Lewis

by Rob Butner -

Dont hold your breath-- THis has been a reported issue since Moodle 1.9...(SEE LINKS AT THE BOTTOM).
We have placed about 6 posts in various forums attempting to find the reason why the function "does nto function". Not only are their no responses (except from other people having the same problem" but it has never been addressed. Apparently having automatic notification via email to students when assignments have been graded or commented on is not important. I wonder why it was important enough to put in in the system in the first place?

HERE'S ONE OF MY ORIGINAL POSTS:
We are experienceing the exact same problem---

We are using Moodle 1.9.4

Our system properly sends an email notification when a new user registers.

Our system properly sends an email notification for account confirmation.

Our system properly sends an email notification when the student enrolls into the course.

Our system properly sends emails through the messaging system.

Our system properly sends emails when students post in a forum.

THEREFORE THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH OUR SMTP SETTINGS OR EMAIL SERVER.

However if ANY instructor grades a students submitted ASSIGNMENT and also adds feedback comments in Assignments Grading and ticks "Send notification emails" NO EMAILS ARE SENT TO THE STUDENTS. EVER!

We have checked the email servers SMTP logs and there are NO EMAILS being sent by the Moodle system regarding these Grade/FEEDBACK Notifications.

CRON IS INSTALLED AND WORKING GREAT (WE DO AUTOMATED COURSE BACKUPS AND THEY RUN FLAWLESSLY)

What can I do to fix this problem?
Can anyone suggest any fix please?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

NOTICE: WE WILL GLADLY PAY ANYONE IF THIS ISSUE IN 1.9.5 CAN BE SOLVED. CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL TO TELL ME WHAT IT WILL COST, THE PROCESS, AND HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO FIX. WE WILL HAPPILY PAY!!!! THEN WE WILL POST THE FIX HERE FOR ALL TO ENJOY!

LINKS ABOUT THE PROBLEM:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=105942
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=132589
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=135818
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-20284
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=132001
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=144281
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=164931

In reply to Rob Butner

by Chad Outten -

@Rob: if you're still experiencing said issue, you might want to add your issue to Moodle Tracker - I can see MDL-20284 was closed. If you need commercial support, check out the Moodle Partners.

In reply to Chad Outten

by Rob Butner -

Yeah--

The reported problem in the Moodle tracker was "closed" after the support person posted "this site is for reporting bugs with Moodle, not for general support requests - please ask for help in the community forums on moodle.org" A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN POSTING ABOUT THIS ISSUE IN THESE FORUMS AND NOBODY EVER DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Sound like the "run-around"

In reply to Rob Butner

by Nick Gault -

Same problem here in 1.9 - Where do I vote to get this issue some attention?

In reply to Nick Gault

by Brian V -

I am also experiencing this problem  (Moodle 2.0.1). How can I ensure that students will receive an email when feedback is posted to an online text assignment? We use these extensively, and it's important that students be notififed when feedback is posted.

Other system emails (such as notifications when the assignment is first submitted) seem to work fine.

In reply to Brian V

by Mary Cooch -

Brian - have you voted in the tracker? http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25806

In reply to Mary Cooch

by David Dunn -

Can't vote because issue deemed resolved.

Not so.

I've added my comment to the tracker forum.

Could we get clarity and closure on this issue?

In reply to Brian V

by Andrew Davis -

In 2.01 there is no way to ensure students receive notifications as students can turn off notifications if they want to.

In 2.1 we added the ability to require notification methods if that is desirable. MDL-27171

In reply to Andrew Davis

by Antonio López -

Hi.

I'm using 2.1.1+. I have configured mail in moodle so mailing works (I can send/receive mail to/from my students) and message outputs / default message outputs is set to force mail for assignment notifications.

Whenever a student submits some text using the online text assignment teachers do not get messages and when teachers grade students assignments, no message is sent out either. In previous moodle versions messages were sent in both cases.

I have a working cron configuration (I have run it manually by visiting admin/cron.php just in case)

Is this normal? Am I missing some configuration step?

Mail sending/receiving in assignments is vital for me (as it is for many teacers I guess).

Thanks.

In reply to Antonio López

by ahries panopio -

Hi there,

May I ask if you already solved this problem?

We are having this issues also.

Thanks

In reply to ahries panopio

Απάντηση: Re: Students not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by Andreas Panagiotopoulos -

Here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=105942 is the solution!

This has perfectly worked for me..

Of coures I have made a lot of changes to the proposed code but this solution, in general, works fine.

Andreas P.

In reply to Andreas Panagiotopoulos

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Students not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by Eva Rodriguez-Maestre Ibiza -

Thanks a lot for your quick and useful response  smile

In reply to Andreas Panagiotopoulos

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Students not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by ahries panopio -

Thanks for your reply.

I already apply the suggested code but I dont know why I am still cant get

email message even manually running the cron

May I ask if you input the fields in Home-Site Administration-Server-Email
?

Hope to hear again from you.

Thanks again in advance...

In reply to ahries panopio

Students not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by imbu danilot -

Hello,

the problem with emails notification is experienced in my domain.

the issue is with some SMTP domains.

for instance users having emails such as yahoo.com/es or ono.com are unable to receive any sort of email, from lost password to forum notifications.

Moodle release is 2.1.1+

can anybody advise on this?

it is very embarassing to tell users that we cannot use those email addresses!

thanks in advance

Imbu

In reply to imbu danilot

by Lisa Nicholls -

Have you checked with these domains to see if your email server/domain name has been blacklisted?

If so, you need to go through some procedures to get the listing removed.

>L<

In reply to Lisa Nicholls

by imbu danilot -

Thanks Lisa,

I shall go throgh that, the domain is actually Yahoo, so... a little tricky to get in touch with them.

but I shall do as you suggested.

I was wondering though if anybody has experienced the same problem with the yahoo domain.... our domain is pretty new and I would be surprised yahoo had the time to blacklist for whatever reason our domain.

Having said that we never know....

Thanks again and regaards

Imbu

In reply to imbu danilot

by ben reynolds -

We routinely run into ISPs throttling Moodle emails. I suspect, but do not know for certain, that the quantity of messages going out at one time -- even from a major American university -- looks like spam. Yahoo, of course, and probably Hotmail, are very sensitive to spam-like mass mailings, owing to their history of having been the source of so much spam.

In reply to imbu danilot

by Lisa Nicholls -

Hi Imbu,

Check to see if you are getting bounces from Yahoo. (I don't know what your mail system is like, so I can't tell you how to do that but most mail servers have a way of archiving these responses.)

If you are, the message probably tells you how to "appeal the decision" within Yahoo.

FWIW my experience with this doesn't concern Moodle email directly, but Ben is exactly right.  And Yahoo and Hotmail are definitely two of the hosts with whom we have experienced this problem.  I would show you what the bounce messages from Yahoo looks like if I had access to them, btw, but I don't (I'm not the network administrator).  I just know that we (a public school system) were definitely blocked by Yahoo after sending a message to the families of all students.

It's not only that Yahoo or Hotmail might be "sensitive" about this, but also the percentage of your targets for the emails that might have chosen yahoo or hotmail email addresses to use for their Moodle registration.  For most other ISPs, odds are they're only going to get a couple.

>L<

In reply to Lisa Nicholls

by Jamie Howard -

I know this was listed as "resolved" and it is old, but couldn't actually tell that it was "resolved."

Don't know if this is your issue, but this resolved the problem for us

We are having the same problem with 2.6.2 with users in our domain not receiving emails.  We first tested to see if the moodle server would email domains like gmail.com and outlook.com, etc. We confirmed that it was sending the emails. Might want to test that as it lets you know for sure that the moodle server IS working.

The problem was resolved when I noticed that we had changed the default support email. Our anti spam software didn't like an external server sending emails to our domain as it viewed them as email spoofing i.e. a forged email address. Changing the support emails domain to anything else fixed the problem.

In reply to Steve Lewis

Re: Student's not receiving email notifications in Assignments in Moodle 2.0

by Dominick Antonucci -

Just send the student an email from your university's email service.