Moodle documentation: Update-template - a mixed blessing?

Moodle documentation: Update-template - a mixed blessing?

by Frank Ralf -
Number of replies: 3
I stumbled across the recently updated Update-template (Template:Update) by Helen which now reads:

"This page requires updating for Moodle 2.0. Please do so and remove this template when finished."

IMHO we should keep Moodle 1.9 documentation untouched and better create new documentation for Moodle 2.0. Otherwise we might lose a lot of valuable information, see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=149845#p660852 for an example.

We could just add the Template:Moodle 1.9 to the original page, clone that page and add the Template:Moodle 2.0 and Template:Update templates there for a cleaner solution.

What do others think?

Frank
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: Moodle documentation: Update-template - a mixed blessing?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Frank,

Updating does not mean deleting !  I might use the update template to see what needed to have some references to M2 to fiddle in my spare time.  And what fiddling means is something that sort of depends.   There is still a lot of overlap in functionality between 2.0 and 1.x.

The debate about creating seperate M2 pages has come up before in earlier versions.  Usually in the context of a module undergoing a complete function and interface change.  Usually the older stuff after 6 months to a year  gets dropped to the bottom of the page, collapsed so h2s become h3s.  However, I agree with you that in some pages they are easier to create M2 pages because things are so different.

Excellent post.  We do need to talk about how to transition things to the "latest" version, while respecting the elder ones. After all, I am still officially working with 1.5.3 (until Feb 11) and just fielded a query from someone who had just converted a 1.3 to a 1.9.9  !!

Best wishs   Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Chris,

You're right. It might be better to keep 1.9 and 2.0 on the same page, only with the respective label, i.e. template.

That way it's also easier to see what changed between versions.

Cheers,
Frank
In reply to Chris Collman

by Robert Brenstein -
Updating does not mean deleting but the concern is real. We had that problem with earlier versions of Moodle when documentation was updated in such a way that effectively there was no usable documentation for the older version.