The potential of connecting to www.turnitin.com

The potential of connecting to www.turnitin.com

by Patrick Desloge -
Number of replies: 95

I have recently completed a pilot of Moodle for a course which next semester is going to begin submitting assignments through http://www.turnitin.com/

BB and WebCT have some connectivity with this website (although I am not exactly sure how it works.)  Has anyone ever investigated the possibility of connecting Moodle to this web site? 

After a couple of scandals involving plagiarism my institution seems to be buying into turnitin.com (And I personally like the way it compares papers to the Internet before I ever read them.)  The ability to connect Moodle with this site would be a big help in advocating a more wide scale implementation of Moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Desloge

Re: The potential of connecting to www.turnitin.com

by colin melville -
This question came up recently when we were evaluating moodle as our institutional VLE.

In the UK, JISC has made plagiarism detection available via the University of Northumbria, using www.turnitin.com.

They have produced a technical API to show how to achieve this. Whether this is available to all I'm not sure, but I don't see why not. Bottom line is that it shouldn't be too difficult, and, once done, very useful.

More details at this link.

http://online.northumbria.ac.uk/faculties/art/information_studies/Imri/Jiscpas/site/jiscpas.asp
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to colin melville

by Michael Penney -
Thanks for the link, Colin!

We've been asked (more like taskedsmile to do this by next fall (assuming we can find the $ for the turnitin contract), so we release the code once we get it going.

If any other programming team is working on this or would like to, let me know and we'll try to avoid duplicating effortssmile.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by denis cahalane -
Hi Michael, I've just been asked to look into this. Did you manage to do it?

denis
In reply to denis cahalane

by Joyce Smith -

Hi Denis,

I have just submitted my 'first' assignment using Turnitin (Newcastle Uni Gradschool.com using BB )  I was impressed with the results looking at it from the perspective of a student (teacher in another role) . more than happy to ask if someone would give you some clues how it integrates with BB if that would help

cheers smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by Neil Eliot -
Hi Michael,

I'm looking into this now as well, how far did you get with it? My intension is to extend the assignment module and I'm going to be contacting turnitin to discuss the bi-directional communications issues, my thought is that I'd like the originallity report sent back to and stored in moodle. infact,  I am looking to only using the functonality of the turnitin system and storing all information in moodle itself that way I can use the moodle cron facility to do the donkey work. i.e. tick box and submissions etc are looked after, all the user has to do is select an option to say check an individual assignment or a class and its done.

Neil

by David Scotson -

If you would rather deter plagiarism than spend time detecting it after it happens then I'd recommend the following advice from the Library and Learning Centre at the University of Bath

For academics: effective methods of deterring plagiarism

Detecting plagiarism is reactive, short term, time consuming and can have a negative effect on students. Deterring plagiarism is proactive, has lasting impact and should have a largely positive effect.

Deterring plagiarism:

• Encourage originality - self reflection and individualised responses
  • Use unusual topics and formats e.g. website, brochure, project, poster
  • Ask for applied knowledge, applying theory X to event Y e.g. 'To what extent has Tony Blair increased the powers of the Prime Minister?' rather than 'What are the powers of the Prime Minister?'
  • Ensure students understand referencing and citation practices, especially for online resources
  • Assess process as well as outcomes
  • Discuss plagiarism with students
  • Demonstrate the poor quality of many plagiarised texts
  • Teach general study skills (include the Library staff)
  • Change assessment/essay topics every year
  • Insist on drafts of assignments in advance
  • Ensure secure submission and return of assignments
  • Reinforce with other assessment methods such as in-class essays, exams, discussions, vivas
  • Clarify how much collaboration is allowed in group work, be clear how marks will be allocated (group mark or individual mark?)
  • Set up regular plagiarism audits

Clearly services such as turnitin.com may have a role to play in that last bullet point, but generally I think they are a symptom of the plagiarism witch-hunt that is discussed in Beat the Witch-Hunt! Peter Levin's Guide to Avoiding and Rebutting Accusations of Plagiarism, for Conscientious Students available from Peter Levin's Study Skills website

The JISC Plagiarism Advisory Service website, which was set up at the same time as the access to turnitin.com was negotiated (for UK institutions), has some good info on alternate approaches as well. And at least one linked article welcomes the revolution that widespread plagiarism will bring if it eliminates assessment via "decontextualized, audienceless and purposeless writing exercises".

Hopefully Moodle can help people utilise these deterrance measures effectively as well as incorporate detection services.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Scotson

by Ben Lovatt -

Hi david,

just thought I'd let you know that the JISC website now has its own domain, the references to online.northumbrialearning.co.uk should now be www.jiscpas.ac.uk

smile

In reply to Ben Lovatt

by Dominic Maricic -
Was this ever accomplished? I have turnitin.com and moodle and would love to be able to integrate the two!
In reply to Dominic Maricic

by lee asson -
We are currently looking at this, will let you know when we have something implemented. Am not sure if any other parties are also working on this.

Lee
In reply to lee asson

by Mike Jackson -
I would certainly be interested in moodle/turnitin integration.
In reply to lee asson

by Steven Geggie -

Hi Lee,

How soon do you think you would have something available to integrate turnitin with Moodle?

Thanks,
Steve

Progress? The potential of connecting to www.turnitin.com

by Roger Emery -

Just a bump to ask if anyone has made any progress on this out of interest?

In reply to Roger Emery

Re: Progress? The potential of connecting to www.turnitin.com

by Fred Lassiter -

We're just starting to get up to speed w/ Moodle, but we too are TurnItIn customers and very interested in integration.

If you go to http://www.turnitin.com/static/products.html you'll notice the moodle logo with the words "turnitin integration".

I spoke with a salesperson today, and asked him about integration with moodle.  He told me that they are "working on it" and he thinks it will be available this fall.

I asked him if they will contribute the code to moodle and he told me he didn't know anything about code or cost(s).

He also told me that they have an integration API that is free for customers.

In reply to Fred Lassiter

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is new to me.  Can any customer of theirs get hold of that API for us?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Fred Lassiter -

I will call them back tomorrow and ask.

Why do they get to use the moodle logo without your consent?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
They aren't really selling Moodle services (ie competing with Moodle Partners) so it's not really a problem yet.

by Fred Lassiter -

Well, I got the documentation for the API today.  Here's the intro:

The Turnitin API serves as a one-way bridge between your application and Turnitin. Whether you want to integrate a school portal or a back-end administrative program, the Turnitin API will provide you with the set of tools that will allow you to:

securely register students and instructors

login users

create classes for instructors

join students to classes

submit papers to Turnitin for plagiarism prevention

retrieve Originality Reports or originality scores

The remaining 15 pages go into how to use the api by constructing url's with the proper arguments and signing it with an MD5 signature.

Presumably any Turnitin customer could get it as easily as I did.  Although there are no copyright or confidentiality claims in the document, I've decided to ask Turnitin's permission before sharing the details.

by Fred Lassiter -

I received a phone message from our salesperson at TurnItIn last night.  He re-iterated that they are developing a moodle integration and added that they do not use this API (they use something different) for their "enterprise" integrations.

He further asked me not to share the full API document at this time.

As I seem to have their ear right now I'll help any way I can, but as a moodle newbie, I don't feel qualified.  Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

by lee asson -

Hi All

Just an update on the Moodle / TurnItIn integration:

We (Northumbria Learning) hope to have the beta version of the integration completed very soon. We have a developer from iParadigms over from the States this week to work on this with us.

We will keep you posted.

Lee

In reply to lee asson

by lee asson -

Hello again all,

We are now approaching completion of the Moodle / TurnItIn integration with just some minor bits and bobs outstanding.

We were wondering if there are any people out there in the Moodle community using TurnItIn who would be willing to act as beta-testers.

Please get in touch if interested.

Thanks

Lee

smile

In reply to lee asson

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would be happy to help with beta testing. I have a site with about 1000 students and we have a school account for turnitin.com that I could utilize. Let me know how I can be helpful.
In reply to lee asson

by Roger Emery -

Yes Please!

We're evaluating both systems with a small number of units/staff/students and have the capacity and desire to beta test this integration as it on our wish list to get something like this working.

Please mail me off-list to make arrangements.

Roger Emery
Learning Systems Developer
Southampton Solent University
roger.emery@solent.ac.uk

In reply to lee asson

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
we're keen too!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by lee asson -
Hi folks

Thanks for your responses and offers to be testers, we will be liaising with iPardigms in the near future regarding the testing and will be in touch.

Thanks again!
Lee
In reply to lee asson

by josh maiocco -

We'd be very interested, too...Thanks very much.

Josh

In reply to josh maiocco

by Dave Jones -

anyone got any further news on this?? we've a client who uses both and would like to intergrate....

any comments would be most welcome!

In reply to lee asson

by Bruce Wellman -
Lee,

I am currently using Moodle 1.6 and our high school has a turnitin.com account.   I have about 60 students I will be working with and would be happy to be a beta tester.  Have you made anymore progress with this?

Bruce
In reply to Bruce Wellman

by lee asson -

Hi Folks

Apologies for not replying sooner I have not been working on this project for a while now.

I have been informed by a colleague that the first stage of beta testing is being run by iParadigms in the states and we are awaiting feedback from them before we go ahead.

I will post more info as we get it.

Thanks
smile

In reply to lee asson

by Chris Miller -

We subscribe to turnitin and use Moodle as our university's CMS.  We would like to integrate the two and are willing testers.

Chris

In reply to Chris Miller

by A. T. Wyatt -
Us too!  Have 1400 users, 170 courses. 

We are very interested in making it easy for faculty to run upload a single file assignments over to their turnitin.com account.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Eduardo Hernandez -
We are also using Turnitin.....and we would like to see this integration ... no doubts.

We could be help to debug this when using it with Spanish (yes, you know special chars, etc. etc.)

However at their site they said there's an integration http://www.turnitin.com/static/products.html

A note: I don't know but if they don't have that integration done and working, then this information provided in their web site would be, in my country, against the law.. just a thought

Eduardo
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by Dominic Maricic -
I called turnitin a few weeks ago and was told the integration was still being piloted in the uk, and that they had a representative out there right now at some university. Anyone hear anything else? Our school started this week and I already have moodle setup for 1200 students. I would like to get this going before I end up having to write something for the api to create all my users.

by Dominic Maricic -
WOHOOOO!! I Just received an email from turnitin saying the integration is ready. There is a $250 support fee. I'm sending in my PO now, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

by Roger Emery -
is that a test version or the real thing...we're still waiting!!

and what is the $250 support for exactly?
In reply to Roger Emery

by Dominic Maricic -
This is the real thing. Although I was called back after they took my credit card information and told they were working out a bug 'real quick' and then would send the bridge to me. That was yesterday and I am still waiting. I'll let you guys know when I get it up and running.

The $250 is there way of collecting money without breaking GPL. Even though it's an integration I don't think they can sell the program, so they sell mandatory support, lol.

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Today I was contacted by Turnitin. The plugin will release this weekend .

In reply to lee asson

by Dan Trockman -
I talked to a sales person at TurnItIn today.  She said as of today they are officially supporting it.  She said you DO NOT have to pay the $250 if you do not want live support.  All you need is an active account.

She did not however have any information of getting the integrated module. It was her assumption that TurnItIn was not distributing it and I would have to get it from moodle.org

Our school does have an account and is very interested in utilizing TII with moodle.  Do you have access to it?
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Christian Bokhove -
I too would love to get this integrated.
In reply to Christian Bokhove

by Dan Trockman -
I got news today from turnitin.com that they have enabled my turnitin account at no additional cost if support is not needed. If I log into my turnitin admin account the module/plugin is supposed to be available. I will install this week after making my 1.6 update from 1.5 and tell all how it goes. I still do not know what the integration looks like. i believe that it is a one-way communication to turnitin to facilitate uploads but not reporting.
In reply to Dan Trockman

by A. T. Wyatt -
I am anxious to hear.  Even if it is one-way uploading, it would be a help!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dominic Maricic -
I've installed it and it's working! I did find a few bugs with the description being truncated if there was an   in it, which the text editor im typing in right now generates when you type several spaces. I'm pissed off though about that $250 fee. It was made out to me that it was mandatory. Especially since there is really only one person at turnitin who knows what's going on. I knew more than the first 3 techs I talked to today before I found the right person. I also am helping to track down the problems. I think I'll have to call my account manager back!

by Dominic Maricic -
Oh, by the way. Students not only upload via moodle, but teachers do view the reports via moodle. There is NO need for students or faculty to log into turnitin.com anymore.

by Anthony Borrow -
Would it be desireable, feasible, practical, legal(?) to share the code (patched or otherwise) with the Moodle community at large? I will be working at getting it through turnitin.com but would like to see this be shared openly with the Moodle community so that it can be supported and developed by the users rather than turnitin.com
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dan Trockman -
I will ask the support person I have been working with at TII. The code was available through the admin login in the API section of the admin page after requesting the service. They provide the PHP and some instruction on making changes to the shared secret key for communication. I do not feel comfortable redistributing the code without their OK.
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Anthony Borrow -
That is fine - I will login to the API section and get the code since it has to be activated there anyways. I am unfamiliar with turniton.com but have been learning from our local administrator. Thanks.
In reply to Dan Trockman

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Dan:

What is this 'admin" section?  Is this something that the university IT department has, or a regular teacher?  (I am a regular teacher for Turnitin.com even though a participating admin for Moodle).

Who can get access to that?  Please give more instructions.  I am confused!  I am unable to talk to the IT department about this because I don't know enough.

Thank you for any assistance!  I would really like to file this work order!
atw

by A. T. Wyatt -
Could you PM me the right name of the person to talk to?  I am having a little trouble myself!  I would appreciate it.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dominic Maricic -
What problem are you having? Don't forget there is that google group setup now too. When you are installing it copy just the turnitin folder (you dont need anything else) to  /moodle/mod/assignments/type/ then you should be good. Turnitin just becomes a new assignment type like offline activity or upload a file.

by Michael Tudor -

Hi Guys,

I cant seem to find the download location for the turnitin module anywhere. I've logged into turnitin with our schools site admin account and cant find a download link anywhere. I've searched everywhere I can think of but still havent been able to find it.

Could someone please post a link or some instructions on where to get it from (I've sent and email off to the sale people at Turnitin)

Thanks in advance

by A. T. Wyatt -
Sorry!  My trouble is getting the IT department to understand what I want, and find out how to get it.  I am thinking that I can probably do the moodle install, but at this point I simply don't know how to get the code.  I can't give our IT guys enough details to file a work order.  Or know what information to ask for so that I might do it myself.

Thank you for any assistance!   Words of one syllable are fine--you won't get any complaints from me!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Michael Tudor -

Hi ATW,

Not sure how helpfull I can be since I dont know exactly where to get it myself yet, but this is what I have managed to find out.

1) http://www.turnitin.com/static/pdf/datasheet_Moodle_9-05.pdf This is a link to the Turnitin information on the module, though not the module itself

2) There should be an Administrator for Turnitin at your site if this person logs in they have a few more options than a teacher.

3) You will need the admin of Turnitin to contact the turnitin sales people (I think) and ask them to activate the module on your turn it in account, I think at this stage you are then able to download the module from the admin section. Though I'm still waiting to here back from them.

This is all the information I have recieved from them at this stage...

Dear Professor xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Turnitin Help Desk regarding the Moodle integration. We have notified your account representative, xxxxx xxxxxxx, of your interest in the Moodle integration. Initial setup and paperwork for the Moodle integration to be downloaded is required before the plugin is made available and you are able to download and install our integration for Moodle.

Thank you for using Turnitin. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Matthew

Lead Product Specialist - iParadigms, LLC

In reply to Michael Tudor

by A. T. Wyatt -
Excellent!  I will follow up.

Thank you so much!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Today we contacted Turnitin and the integration was also done today.

0) We contacted our sales rep.

1) The integration is free, but an optional tech support from Turnitin is available for 750 USD. (At least for our license)

2) The integration is a new assignment type ("Turnitin"), where teachers and student can use to upload/check assignments.

3) If teachers want to grade papers the GradeMark module must also be activated into your Turnitin account.

Eduardo
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by Michael Tudor -

To find the admin area of turnitin try this:

1) Log into turnitin as an administrator

2) Click on the accounts tab

3) Click on the green + plus sign under the upgrade heading

4) At the bottom of the screen you will find the "add/modify API integration information" link, click on this

It has the moodle integration at the bottom of the page (if it's been activated, I'm still waiting)

by Neil Eliot -
Hi,

Just an update for you on the Moodle Interface.

I work for Northumbria Learning (http://www.northumbrialearning.co.uk) and we developed the interface with Iparadigms in the US.

We have tested the interface quite thouroughly and are now releasing the code slowly but to ensure we can control versions its release is quite slow, we will be looking after the UK distribution and Iparadigms the US.

In the UK we are about to release the code to the JISC customers (submit.ac.uk) the reasoning behind the slow release is that we may need to modify the interface further and want to ensure we know who has the code to get releases out to them.

The interface is going to be released after that and it will be free to all.

We are just about to ask about moodle partnership and would like to have the interface adopted as part of the moodle core but we'll have to wait and see if thats allowable.

In the mean time if you want to contact me my email is:- neil.eliot@northumbrialearning.co.uk we will try and get a page up on our site to give status reports etc. soon.

Neil
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Dennis Williams -
Neil,

So are you saying that the Moodle Integration is not really working yet?  That Turnitin can claim that they have "free" moodle integration, but until Northumbria and IParadigm release the code, integration can't happen without paying for support from Turnitin?

In reply to Dennis Williams

by Anthony Borrow -
My understanding is that you should be able to not have the support and still use the integration. I had them activate our account; however, I have been unable to actually get the download of the new assignment type. I get a popup window that says the download should begin shortly but it does not. Is this an error on their end? Any suggestions as to where I can get the code?

by Dominic Maricic -
It does work, and works great for my school. The only problem I've found so far is that it does not have support for groups. You just get everyone in one class view.

by Anthony Borrow -
Dominic - I have downloaded and installed the turnitin.com assignment type but I do have a couple of questions. Is the TII_SHAREDKEY the same thing as the 'join password' or do I get that from somewhere else? I found the TII PDF file extremely vague on that point.

Also, I have run into a permissions issue with logging. It looks as though it is trying to access log.txt which is located in /mod/assignment/type/turnitin/  I take issue with storing data within the directory that holds the code. I believe that the log file should be somewhere in MoodleStorage and I am going to hack a little to move it there since I store my data on a separate partition. What permissions did you set for the log.txt file?

Thanks - Anthony

by Dominic Maricic -
Ahh, I had the log problems too. I just got errors when submitting assignments regarding the log file.Turnitin told be they couldn't replicate the issue. I just commented out the log function. I changed logger.class.php to the following, if you see the problem let me know, I didn't see it.

class Logger {

var $file;
    var $filename;

function log($message = '') {
    /*
        $this->filename = 'log.txt';
        $this->file = fopen($this->filename, "a+");
        $message = '['.date('d/m/Y H:i:s').'] - '.$message;
        fwrite($this->file, $message."\r\n");
        fclose($this->file);
        */
    }
}

The TII_SHAREDKEY I believe was given in the instructions and is just 'testing1'. I assume they will change that at some point to actually mean something. Make sure your TII_AID is correct as your turnitin id. I have also had problems with teachers whose password was shorter than 7 characters as turnitin requires 7 or more. You're problem could be that your admin password isn't that long.

Don't forget there is a moodle-turnitin integration group at http://groups.google.com/group/Turnitin-Moodle-Integration?lnk=lr where turnitin is supposed to be helping out. So far they haven't messaged much, but it might be a good idea to keep a copy of questions/answers there.

by Neil Eliot -

Hi logging was/is for debugging so it should be set to off for general use unless you were thinking about analysing the logs for interface activity at a later date.

by Neil Eliot -
Hi, You can switch logging off from lib.php
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
I understood, TII_LOGGING, but what about this TII_SHAREDKEY. Is it as Dominic suggested at this point a static value of testing1? I did not get those instructions. In the pdf file I have it gives an example but does not really give enough information to figure out what it is really supposed to be (IMHO). Another question I have is about syncronizing Moodle with TII. Do the Moodle passwords have to be the same as the TII teacher's username and passwords? Does the API automatically attempt to create a teacher and course from the TII assignment type. There is very little description of what is actually happening. I will look at the log.txt and see what is being sent and try to decipher it but any help would be appreciated.

by Dominic Maricic -
Teachers & Students do NOT go to turnitin.com anymore to setup courses or to register. The integration creates the turnitin course. Students are added to the course when they submit their first paper, or if the teacher clicks a sync button on the assignment view.

by Neil Eliot -

Hi,

The TII_SHAREDKEY is used by the interface when generating md5 keys. This value has to be the same in the interface and in your TII control panel integration area.

Cheers

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -

Where is the TII control panel integration area? I understand the value has to be the same it is just that the naming of it and finding is a mystery to me. Is it under update? add/modify API information? I simply don't know where to find it because every where I look I see nothing about a shared key or md5.

By 'the interface' do you mean the lib.php file on my Moodle site?

For me, the issue is about consistency in language. It seems to me that the same thing is being referred to in multiple ways and as a result I'm just plain confused and need a TII dictionary or thesaurus.

by Dominic Maricic -
Anthony, I just looked up where I got the shared key from. It came in an email from turnitin when they activated the api for me. It says: Your shared secret key is 'xxxxxx'. Obviously your key is in the xxxxx field. It is not available anywhere else, I've looked. If you didn't get one, respond back to your account manager requesting it. 

by Michael Tudor -

I have had my account activated now and my account manager sent me through all the details to set it up, but when I try to create an assignment I get this error message.

not activated

As you can see my account is activated, I'll download it and try again just incase the version I got emailed is different.

API Activated

Cheers

Mike

by Anthony Borrow -
My first step would be to verify that the TII_AID value is properly set in the lib.php to your account id (perhaps a typo?).

by Anthony Borrow -
OK - that makes sense. I am not our TII administrator even though I have access to the administrator account online. I am sure that the email was sent to our TII administrator's email address and I can contact her to get it now that I know where to look. Thanks for your guidance.

by Michael Tudor -

I'm fairly sure I've got the correct values entered but maybe I'm using the wrong syntax?

define("TII_AID",12345);

define("TII_SHAREDKEY",'XXXXXXX');

define("TII_WEBSERVICEURL",'http://moodle.pihms.ac.nz/mod/assignment/type/turnitin/ws/dispatcher.php');

define("TII_LOGGING",1);

This copied straight out of my lib.php file, do i need to put ' marks on either side of the AID code or just entered as above?

by Michael Tudor -

Okay, I've downloaded the latest version and tried it again an I get this error message now.

Just to confirm I'm using the correct number, the TII_AID is my turnitin account number?

I'm just special!

I've contacted my account sales person again, though its Sunday afternoon but I wont get any info from the support people until tommorow because of the timezone difference.

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Dominic Maricic -
Turning the log off from lib.php will not prevent the error. The only fix that worked for me was commenting out the code in the function.

by Neil Eliot -
The issue about the logs is a good one, we'll adjust the code so that it can be configured in lib.php and make that part of the release code.
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
Thanks - that would be a big plus!
In reply to Dennis Williams

by Neil Eliot -

Hi,

No and No,

The integration is working and there are people using it, We are just being careful about releasing the code too widely as its first release. We have just had to fix a small bug to do with HTML formatting on the create assignment callback so we where right to be cautious. The interaface is free and the code will be made available free. TurnItIn on the other hand is another matter they will need to have an integration server setup to support the service and will need to have that part managed, this is still being negotiated, we (Northumbria Learning) have written the moodle component which will run on your servers so has no longlasting effect other than the support of the code.

Hope that helps.

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
I am very grateful for the code and excited about the integration. Thank you for your work towards making that possible. I understand the caution about releasing the code too widely; however, it seems to me that it might be better to have a download from Moodle as a plugin or even to maintain it in CVS in contrib with other optional code. This would allow those who are not TII customers but Moodle developers to look at the code, make suggestions, and even fix bugs. One of the things I love about open source development is that the more people that are looking and using the code the more quickly issues can be resolved. I think long term the code would be more stable if made more publically available (IMO). 

by Martin Dougiamas -
Eventually I would hope it's integrated as a checkbox option in the standard "upload" assignment type.  
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -
That makes sense to me.

-- Art
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi Neil,

I was wondering what the current status is of the release of the moodle integration module. Are you still holding back to work in unifying the interfaces? I work for the School of Computer Science at the University of Manchester. We have a site licence for TurnItIn, and I've been asked to look into Moodle integration, potentially for an assignment to be handed in at the end of next week!
Is it best to contact Northumbria Learning directly over this type of thing or is via the moodle forum OK? And finally, will the integration code be given away to moodle.org or it be only available via Northumbria Learning?

Thanks for your contribution and work so far in this area.

Regards,

Stuart Anderson.
In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Anthony Borrow -
I have yet to get this working. I have been away from it for a while but trying to set it up with Moodle 1.6.3 has not produced any results thus far. The code is freely available; however, you must contact TII and ask them to enable the Moodle API. They offer technical support service for a fee which I have declined.

by Stuart Anderson -
TurnItIn in the UK/Europe is handled by a company called Northumbria learning. They appear to be wanting to charge me £422 as a "connection fee". They are saying to me:
"The fee that you mentioned is actually a connection charge. This is a one off fee."
This is more of a TurnOff than a TurnItIn and from the reading I've done on this site, I think that there are no technical reasons for this fee at all and that it is simply a way for them to get around the open-source licence agreement that moodle has and make money.

I'll see if I can side-step them by going directly to the American branch.

Thanks,

Stuart.

In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Dominic Maricic -
That's a bunch of BS. Call turnitin.com directly in the US. There is no connection fee, just an OPTIONAL support fee. Even that is $250 US . Your talking about over $650 US!!!

by Michael Tudor -

I have a problem with this module, I'm running the latest version (1.0.2) but I'm getting a few weird results.

I keep getting this error message: Moodle Integration Warning: Password is not between 6-12 characters

Error

It all seems quite strange because:

- The ingration will work in one course but not in another course. It consistently will not work in one of my courses.

- Neither the teacher nor myself can get it to work, and we have both had passwords between 6 and 12 characters long.

Out TurnItIn ID in the lib.php file is only 5 character long, but this should be okay.

Out TurnItIn Sharred key is 8 characters long.

We are using LDAP authentication from windows active directory so the username and password are passed through from here.

Is anyone else havning this problem?

by Michael Tudor -

Well I got it fixed, kind of simple once I compared to the two courses settings one by one until I got it.

The enrollment key was to long.

So when it says "the password is to long" it actaully means "The enrollment key is to long"

Simple enough to fix, I'll just make sure all the courses enrolment key is only 12 characters long smile

by A. H. -
Hi,

WHERE do i get the code from?Why cant we spread on moodle? I see nothing on my turnitin administrator account!

Someone from our department once asked them about it and they said it costs 750$

regards,
amer

by Neil Eliot -

Hi Dominic,

I've just completed the bug fix on the description field, the code will be going back to TII on Wednesday, so you should be getting contacted about the new code or it may just be sent out.

Cheers

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Dominic Maricic -
Great! Glad to hear it. Any other fixed or new  features being included? I'd love to see handling for groups.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Dominic, could you please share who this ONE PERSON who really knows what's going on at turnitin?? We have installed the turnitin plugin provided by turnitin.com (finally got it to work on our production site), but so far found several bugs. I have contacted Matthew (their lead product specialist @ iParadigms), but so far no further responses/solutions yet. Here are the bugs we found so far:

1. After you create a turnitin assignment, you can NOT delete it. The error message is "could not open XML input" which came from their tiirequest.class.php under the /mod/assignment/type/turnitin folder. I suspect that something need to be done in the /course/mod.php as well (btw, we are currently running Moodle 1.5.4+ customized version)

2. If you create an assignment with other assignment type (say, offline activity), save it, then later one change it to use "turnitin" assignment type, it will throw in a error message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<!-- Turnitin API Return Data -->

<returndata>
<rmessage>Database error verifying assignment</rmessage>
<rcode>207</rcode>
</returndata>

--
Have anyone found a solution for this? Don't want to duplicate the efforts so before we dig into the code level to debug, I'm posting the issues here. Thanks! smile
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by A. H. -
Hi Wen,
This message has been there since ever and solution yet. Am now trying to install turnitin - moodle plugin and am facing exactly the same error.
Did you find a solution?

thank you,
amer

by Greg de Vitry -
Greetings,

I'm looking for an Error callback function/page. The instructions from Turnitin are http://www.yourdomain.edu/catch_turnitin_error.asp ....

Looking to catch something like:
?ec=115&em=Password%20is%20not%20between%206-12%20characters&src=6&is_warning=1&svr=1

We are in a trial period and have not purchased support. sad

I can write one but was hoping for one already. smile

Greg

by Timothy Takemoto -

please forgive the cross posting

I am always getting a lot of plagiarism in my courses, especially those in which I require Asians to write in English. I think that, as Bakhtin pointed out, since we are always using the words of others, the students think it is okay to use the expressions of others. It would be if they cited.

Anyway, it is usually quite easy to check using google. I just put in a short 4 word or so phrase and and after a few tries I find out the source material. But it is a very dull and depressing task, the sort of task that I would like to leave up to a computer.

If I were a programmer I think that it would be fairly easy to write an application like Eve2 (which has issues, so I don't recommend it) in php to check some or even all 4 or 5 word phrases to see if they result in Google hits and then to store those hits (or at least one of them) and highlight those parts of the submitted text that can be found on the web and where.

I would be able to donate towards the creation of this sort of functionality (if it worked with moodle 1.6).

Tim