Facebooky - A Facebook theme for Moodle 2 - Now called Moodlebook

Facebooky - A Facebook theme for Moodle 2 - Now called Moodlebook

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 193

I started tinkering tonight with the great Decaf theme by Lei Zhang and next thing you knew it I was making a Facebook theme.

I have often been asked if Moodle could look like Facebook, and in Moodle 1.9 the theme engine was just not cut out for it. The new engine in Moodle 2.0 however is different.

To download click here (now updated for Moodle 2.2.x

Julian

Attachment facebooky.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Facebooky - A Facebook theme for Moodle 2

by Joanna Tsai -

Thanks, Julian, from Imagine2 I became into you fans

by Julian Ridden -

The theme, now called Moodlebook has now been uploaded to the Theme's database for download and testing. Click here for the link.

This is the first draft of the theme and is probably got a few bugs in it. Please make sure you post your issues here so I can iron them out ASAP. Otherwise, if you find a fix for an issue you can post your solutions here as well.

Be sure to rate the post as "Useful" if indeed you find it to be so smile

Enjoy.

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Margaret Hale -

Hi Julian,

Great look.

I tried to download the file, but received a 404 error.

Margaret

In reply to Margaret Hale

by Manish Verma -

Hi Margaret,

Try http://moodleman.moodle.com.au/download/moodlebook.zip .

Manish.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Manish Verma

by Jaymin Limbachiya -

Hi Manish This theme is not working properly.;

In reply to Jaymin Limbachiya

by Eric Dodémont -

Jaymin,

Please read the latest post of this thread. You will find a patched version of the moodlebook theme which works with moodle 2.1 and moodle 2.2.

by Julian Ridden -
Sorry Margaret. The http was missing from the link. I have updated it now. Should work fine now. Julian
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Margaret Hale -

Hi Julian,

Thank you.  I was able to get the theme up and running with no problems.  As I "play" with this theme I will let you know of the good, the bad, and (hopefully not) the ugly.

First question:  Is there a reason you chose the fixed width?  I will try to play with percentages.

The theme is very coolsmile!

Margaret

Margaret

by Mathieu ADOUTTE -

Hi !

I love the theme. I'm trying to modify width (I'd like it a little bit wider). Any clue on how to achieve this ? I tried modifying values in core.css and pagelayout.css, with theme designer mode enabled, but with no success.

In reply to Mathieu ADOUTTE

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Usually you can adjust the width using the #page selector in the css with this CSS rule.

#page { width: 98%; margin: 0 1%; }

If that does not work then it depends on containers which govern the width. It may have a page wrappe, or each section may need to be adjusted. If you look in the moodlebook/layout/general.php you will see the layout of the page in the <div> tags, usually written <div id="page"> or <div id="page-header"> or <div id="page-footer"> etc., Make a list of these IDs and then look for them in the CSS files, looking especially for width.

HTH

Mary

by Ron Crook -

I have been working with the Moodlebook theme for a couple of days.  Whenever I try to move modules around in my course I receive a programming error which results in me not being able to log into Moodle.  I then have to have my IT guy reset Moodle back to the original defaults.  I have tried two other themes to try and duplicate the error but it only happens in the Moodlebook theme.  I have attached the error for you to see.  I really like this theme and would like to use it.  Anything you can do to help would be great.

Thanks,

Ron Crook

Attachment Moodlebook.jpg
In reply to Ron Crook

by Jamie Homewood -

Hi Ron

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I get the same error only on this theme.

I would love to use it however this is stopping me customising 2.0 here with this theme installed.

I have just installed the latest theme version and still the same.

I'm running on windows server, IIS if that helps anyone.

Great theme Juliensmile

In reply to Jamie Homewood

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ron,

Can you tell me what are trying to do before the problem crops up. Also a better way of debugging is to enable the Debugging option in Site-Administration > Development > Debugging which you need to set to Developer Mode. The error messages then are more informative and can help greatly with diagnosing and finding the source of the actual problem.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This issue has also recently cropped up in the discussion about decaf (which this theme is based on). It appears to be 'resolved' - perhaps avoided is a better term - when Ajax is enabled. But really needs to be fixed for users without ajax as well.

Richard

by Robert Tamblyn -

Hi Julian.  Kids love the theme ...  Question about formatting.  Frontpage and course page operates fine for me.  When I setup and use a forum the very right hand side seems to be cut off slightly.  I'll attach an image.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Attachment Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 7.49.41 AM copy.png

by Lei Zhang -

WOW! Good job, Julian.

In reply to Lei Zhang

by Julian Ridden -
Actually, thank you. This theme started off as your awesome Decaf theme. I just got a bit carried away tinkering with it. Julian

by Chris Swaffield -

This really is a great theme, Julian. I have a couple of questions about it.

Was it intentional to have the Blog Menu block show inside some of the activities? Right now it shows when I click on Offline Assignment, Advanced Upload Files Assignment and the Web Links database.

Can the order of items be changed in the drop down menu when you mouse over the person icon at top?

In the navigation block, I noticed only Topic 2 had its name correlated with the topic. This can be done with all of the topics, correct?

Thanks for the help. Again, this theme looks really good!

In reply to Chris Swaffield

by Margaret Hale -

Hi Chris,

If you go to edit the topic summary and deselect "Use default section name" and then type in the title of your topic it will show up in the navigation. You would need to do this for each topic.

Cheers,

Margaret

Re: Facebooky - A Facebook theme for Moodle 2-Change the logo.png

by Jay Bohnsack -

I modified the logo.png and replaced the original logo.png file with my new one at the location themes-moodlebook-pix

It is still showing the original moodlebook logo.

Refreshed and same thing. It seems so easy, what logical step did I forget?

Thanks for a great theme.

In reply to Jay Bohnsack

by Jay Bohnsack -

fyi-I even removed the logo.png file and reloaded my page and the logo was still there!!

In reply to Jay Bohnsack

by Julian Ridden -

Moodle 2 now cache's themes for faster loading.

Normally all theme images and style sheets are cached in browsers and on the server for a very long time, for performance. If you are designing themes or developing code then you probably want to turn this mode on so that you are not served cached versions. Warning: this will make your site slower for all users!

Alternatively, you can also reset the theme caches manually from the Theme selection page.

by Julian Ridden -

Margaret answered part of your question, here is the other element.

The Blog block has nothing to do with the theme. You add or remove it as a teacher. If you turn editing on you can add or remove the Blog block at your discretion.

Julian

by Chris Swaffield -

Julian-

Within an assignment? Is this new to Moodle 2? I've looked and can't find where to put a block inside an activity anywhere (in 1.9+).

by Julian Ridden -

Yup. This is a Moodle 2 feature. You can now add blocks to Activities and Resources.

by aditya y -

This theme is great!

I replaced logo.png with my own logo but still i see moodlebook logo. Could you please help me how to get my logo?

In reply to aditya y

by Julian Ridden -

?Did you see my post above re: theme caching in Moodle 2

by Philip Siwinski -

Thanks for the theme.

I have the latest firefox under ubuntu and see problems with blocks borders in this theme ?

It would be awsome if it could get fixed. Cheers.

In reply to Philip Siwinski

by Jim Fakoya -

A very bright initiative: to use a familiar platform (facebook) to stimulate learners use of LMS, and much more moodle.

However, I have problem installing this theme on MOODLE 2.0+. I presume that Its because Im not familiar with Moodle 2.O themes. However I was able to install themes like EDUMOODLE and LAMPLITE, but got problems installing MOODLEBOOK and CREATIF.

My Steps:

1. I unzipped the theme zip

2. Found two folders Moodlebook and _MAC OS

3. Not sure of wat to do????????

I will appreciate any help.

In reply to Jim Fakoya

by Mary Evans -

You only need Moodlebook. You can safely delete _MAC OS folder as it is not required. You might also like to check through the contents of your Moodlebook folder for any files called .DSstore as these too are MAC OS files which are not needed.

Mary

In reply to Jim Fakoya

by Rebecca Thompson -

I have downloaded the Zip and when I go to unzip I get the MAC and the Moodle folders and they are empty.  Any thoughts? I want this theme sooooooooooo bad!!

In reply to Rebecca Thompson

by Mary Evans -

Try downloading it again.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rebecca Thompson -

Still no files....I just don't get it.

by Mary Evans -

Rebecca,

How are you extracting the theme files from the ZIP file? Or trying to?

My only experience of empty files is that the Zip file was not downloaded correctly.

Try using another browser. I use FireFox and have never had any problems.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rebecca Thompson -

Ok so I downloaded it in Firefox, the box came up to extract I said yes and put it o the desktop and I open it and it is empty....<sigh>

by Mary Evans -

OK...try THIS DOWNLOAD

It's the original downloaded of the moodlebook theme, but minus all the MAC OSX files (waste of time adding them in as they only cause problems).

So what's left is just the folder with all the files for the theme.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rebecca Thompson -

mary........I LOVE YOU!!!!!

thank you soooooo Much!!

by Mary Evans -

I'll take it that it worked then?

You're welcome.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

Mary,

Thanks for helping users by answering questions. I love my mac, but why it generates all that extra crap in zipping is a pain. Im happy to repace my zip file with yours, but your link is broken. Could you please mail it to me or post it here and Ill update my download package.

Julian

by Mary Evans -

Hi Julian,

I deleted the file after Rebecca downloaded her copy, but you can have a copy with pleasure. Can you let me have your email in a private message?

As for your Mac code getting into the zip. What I do is open the zip file and delete those Mac OSX files first before extracting the Moodle files to the theme folder. Can you not do the same after you have created the zip file and before you put it on your server for download?

Added Edit: http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest4/

Cleans up Mac dust! smile

Mary

by Endy U -

Hi,

I need help to correct the login column please. And the right border is missing?

Many thanks.

Attachment moodlebooklogin.png
In reply to Endy U

by Endy U -

Another example.

Attachment moodlebookconfirmupgrade.png
In reply to Endy U

by Mary Evans -

This is an example of what is currently being called an 'overlay' problem, and has been reported and being investigated by the Moodle developers. You can check this in Moodle Tracker.  It's actually a pagelayout problem in Moodle core which is forcing the page to be viewed in the main column, where there are blocks.

To got round this, take advantage of the docking module and have the side blocks docked to the side. This will open up the page and allow you to view the rest of your data.

Hope this helps?

Mary

by Daa'iyah Na'im -

Great theme, thanks!!!

Is there a way to adjust the width of the center column in courses? For example, when I edit a topic name, the html box is shifted toward the right, cutting off half of the box area.

In reply to Daa'iyah Na'im

by Mary Evans -

This is a known Moodle overlay problem and is waiting to be fixed.

Try using Firefox to view the page you are having problems with, and use the Zoom Out function by selecting View > Zoom > Zoom Out

or Ctrl +-

Forum Tracking

by Margaret Hale -

Julian,

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering how to highlight unread posts in this theme.  The code I used in 1.9+ was

.unread {
background:#FFD991
}

Do you know if this will work in Moodle 2 and if so, where should I add the code.

Also, I want users to "mark read/mark unread" the posts in the forum.  I can't seem to get this to work.  Any suggestions.

Cheers,

Margaret

Re: Forum Tracking

by Mary Evans -

Hi Margaret,

You could try adding

.unread {
background:#FFD991
}

in moodlebook/style/core.css (somewhere near the bottom of the page).

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Hi Mary,

No luck.

I have my Site Admin > Forum Settings > Track unread & Manual message read marking set to "Yes."  In the individual forums, Read Tracking is "On."  Nothing.

Here are some screen shots from my Moodle 1.9 site:

The "Unread" column is not appearing (see above), nor are unread posts appearing in the topics outline (see below).

This might belong in another forum, but I am not sure where.

Margaret

PS:  I have had a lot of complements on the Isometric theme this year. big grin

by Mary Evans -

My heart nearly stopped as I had read the word 'compliments' as complaints!!! LOL I think I am dyslegsik smile

To tell you the truth, I didn't know about the read/unread setting. I must go and try this out.

The quickest way to discover the css code for that particular element is by using the Firebug addon in FireFox.  You can read about it in Development: Firebug

In the mean time I'll set up a test forum and check out the read/unread element of it.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much!! Leave it to you to direct me in new ways.  mixed  It is a good thing that I am between semesters.

I installed Firebug, and found two pieces of code associated with the unread notation on the topic outline in the 1.9 site:

html body#course-view.course div#page div.course-content table#layout-table tbody tr td#middle-column div table.topics tbody tr#section-0.section td.content ul.section li#module-923.activity span.unread a

<a href="http://www.mhale.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=923" linkindex="84">1 unread post</a>

I looked at the Moodle2 site and found no "unread" text in firebug.

I am wondering if this is a PHP thing????

Am I looking in the right place?

Margaret

by Mary Evans -

Try adding this in your isometric.css

span.unread a:link { background-color: blue; color: white;}

and see if the link shows up as white text on blue background

if it does then you have it!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Mary,

Isometric is working like a dream - it is the Moodlebook in 2.0 that isn't tracking forum posts.

Margaret

by Mary Evans -

Margaret,

I've just back tracked to your original query regarding Forum Tracking.

Is this what you are still having problems with?

Have you checked to see that it's not an overlay problem, meaning that the part you want is being overlaid by the side block background. There is/has been a problem which has been reported as an issue in Moodle Tracker. Not this actual scenario but similar ones where the side block overshadows the center column. A quick way to check if this might be the problem is to use FireFox and ZOOM OUT Ctrl + - (control key plus the minus key) Hit it a few times and as the text shrinks the page opens up more. If this reveals the unread column then it's an overlay problem. If not put FireFox in Normal view Ctrl + 0. Then check to see if the problem persists in another theme. Try Standard theme as this is nicely styled.

If the problem still persists in your Standard theme then it might be a BUG and needs to be reported in Moodle Tracker.

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi Margaret,

I've just been testing Moodlebook and in setting up a new student on my newly created forum I noticed that a user must set Track Forum Post in their profile for that option to work, providing that that option is available in the forum. Could it be you haven't got this set on your Profile for your Moodle site?

See screenshot below...

Mary

Attachment forumtracking-mhale.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Mary,

You ROCK!!!

I can't believe I missed something so simple.  It works perfectly!!  I have been busy testing the theme and other Moodle 2 elements that I forgot that this was set at the user level.

Cheers,

Margaret

Your Progress

by Margaret Hale -

Julian,

I noticed in your screen shot, there is a column in the topic outline "Your Progress" with cool check marks.  How do I activate this?

Cheers,

Margaret

Re: Your Progress

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Margaret - Julian's course has "your progress" and checkmarks because he has enabled Activity_completion

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Margaret Hale -

Thank you Mary!  All set.

Margaret

by Mary Evans -

It works? COOL!!!

Sorry for the confusion...I forgot which theme I was working on! LOL

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Hi Mary E,

The above reply was to Mary C.

I am still trying to figure out the forum issue thoughtful

Margaret

by Mary Evans -

I can't make out these forums...I think I have it all set wrongly! Nevermind.

Here's the code you need...

.path-mod-forum .forumheaderlist .unread a {
background-color: blue;
color: white;
font-size: 100%;
}
just add it to the end of the main css file for the theme...core.css or whatever is available!
Mary E smile

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

This is a GREAT theme Julian! Nice work...

Is there a way to remove or reduce the white space on the left and right as per my screenshot? (As seen on 1280x800 resolution screen)

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by John Samuel -

Hello luis, did you get an answer for that issue about having the moodlebook theme holding all space ?

Thank you so much

by D O -

Hi we are using this theme which is brilliant but staff have just noticed with the questionaire module that the formatting is incorrect in IE8 but fine in firefox, not sure if this is to do with the theme or not.

Also in IE the "you are logged in as " text is pushed to the right past the edge of the theme slightly.  Some pics below

IE8

Internet Explorer 8

Firefox

Firefox

In reply to D O

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

There seem to be some issues with IE8 and Moodle 2.0 themes at the moment. See this thread --> http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=165395&parent=725078

Sorry for pasting the URL directly in. My computer is hating me and the HTML editor won't load properly and I have no cursor...  but hopefully that link is helpful. Also there are some issues logged in the tracker that are still unresolved with regards to themes and IE8.

I was showing someone the standard theme in IE8 yesterday and it wasn't displaying properly. We can safely assume THAT is not a theme problem, no? smile

by Rebecca Thompson -

ok so where is the Header.html file at?  I need to add a line of coding to it.  Thanks

btw......I LOVE LOVE LOVE this theme!!

by Mary Evans -

ummm...you could try looking in the moodlebook folder?

Themes FAQ is a good starting point if you are going to customise your theme.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rebecca Thompson -

I did....but I cant see it.  I am trying to install the Facebook Connect.....and I have to add a code to that html.

by Mary Evans -

My fault! Apologies!!!

I just answered your question not thinking you were using a Moodle 2.0 theme!

Richard is right. You will find the pages you need in moodle/theme/moodlebook/layout/general.php (and also frontpage.php)

Mary

by Richard Oelmann -

Rebecca,

In the Moodle2 themes there is no separate header.html. You would have to add your line of code into the main layout file(s) ie. frontpage.php and general.php

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Rebecca Thompson -

Thank you both soooo much!!

I will go add it to both of them now!

by Nick Gault -

Great looking theme.

Is there a way to make the blocks dock?

In reply to Nick Gault

by Mary Evans -

Hi Nick,

Yes there is a way to make the theme use the Docking Module. YOu can set this in the config.php which you will find in the Moodlebook folder. Round about line 32 you should find this line...

$THEME->enable_dock = false;

Change it to read...

$THEME->enable_dock = true;

If you have any problems let me know and I'll try to fix them.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Daa'iyah Na'im -

Thanks, Mary.

I set the theme config.php file to enable dock, but I'm still not able to scroll left and right to edit categories and items...

In reply to Daa'iyah Na'im

by Mary Evans -

Where in the page are you needing to scroll left or right? In the docking module? That can't be right. Somewhere else? Site Admin? Where?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miriam Laidlaw -

I enabled the dock, but came across some strange things when I tried using it.

Dock enabled, but no blocks docked:

moodlebook1

All displaying properly. smile (I love this theme, by the way!)

But then I tried docking the calendar, and the theme looks like this:

moodlebook2

The navigation block vanished when the calendar was docked and the middle and right blocks shifted over to the left.

Then when I undocked the calendar block:

moodlebook3

It returned to its normal position, but the navigation block remains missing, and the middle and right colums stay shifted to the left.

Ideas? thoughtful

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Mary Evans -

That's because this theme, by default, does not support the docking module. To get it to work you need to style it. It will pick up the missing styles from base theme, but as this theme is set differently than base theme, the dock will not work correctly. YOu could try borrowing the CSS for the docking module from my Arctic theme and cut and paste that code into your Moodlebook's main css file. Then see how it works and play around with the different values to customise it. Nice pastime for a saturday afternoon!

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Thanks Mary, that is definitely something I will be playing with sometime. Give me a good challenge. smile

by mark price -

Hi,

This is the best theme I've come across but it adds such a delay to page loading times.

Moodle is running on a 16GB ram, Intel xeon(R) E5506 2.13 quad and I'm the only user at the moment. when i change the theme loading times decrease massively.

by Siddharth Patel -

Hi..
I like this theme very much..
A great work..

I am new to moodle 2.0 and wanted to know that How can I use the menu at the top of theme in another theme.

Appericiate for reply..

In reply to Siddharth Patel

by Richard Oelmann -

Siddharth,

The menu at the top of the page in Moodlebook is based on Lei's awesomebar from the decaf theme and has been used in a couple of others as well.

To use it in another theme, you would need to copy across the lib.php and the renderers.php files (these create the awesomebar itself and provide the custom rendering for the custommenu). You would also need the menubar.css to provide the styling for the menus - and you would have to edit this to suit the styling of your own theme. You would also then need to adit config.php to add this css file and the  renderers file are used by the theme:

$THEME->sheets = array('menubar', 'selected', 'core', 'course', 'mods', 'blocks', 'pagelayout');

$THEME->rendererfactory = 'theme_overridden_renderer_factory';

You would then need to add the following code into your layout file (general.php and frontpage.php or default.php depending on the theme). Exactly where depends on where you want the menu to appear, but to have it at the top of the page, look at where it is in the layout file of moodlebook itself, where it is immediately above the <div id="page"> line

<div id="menubar">
<div id="menushell">
<div id="logo"></div>
<?php
$topsettings = new moodlebook_topsettings_renderer($this->page, null);
echo $topsettings->navigation_tree($this->page->navigation);
?>
<div id="menucenter">
<?php

echo $topsettings->settings_tree($this->page->settingsnav);
?>
</div>
</div>
</div>

Hope that helps

Richard

by soh eng hwa -

i like this.....

but when more people login.....very very slow

In reply to soh eng hwa

by Juan Camilo Páez -

I have a question.

If I have many registered users. This theme becomes slow?. it can do something about it?.  

In reply to Juan Camilo Páez

by Julian Ridden -

i cant see how a specific theme would effect that unless you have theme designer mode on. Have you checked your theme settings and made sure theme designer mode is off?

In reply to Juan Camilo Páez

by David O'Brien -

Hello

I have also found that when the moodlebook theme is enabled it slows the site down to an unusable speed. This is on a development LAMP Ubuntu server with just myself as user. 6GB RAM Moodle 2.3dev (Build: 20120511)

Theme designer is off, Ajax is on.

Debug message and error.log reports:

Strict Standards: Declaration of moodlebook_expand_navigation::initialise() should be compatible with that of global_navigation::initialise() in /var/www/moodle/theme/moodlebook/lib.php on line 219

I have tried on different internet connections and the speed stays the same, so I think I can rule out a slow connection.

The moodlebook version I have been trying is 2012010200. I did download again today from http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=163036 but the version number is the same.

I have page load times for one course area that has no content and the moodlebook theme  of 19.61s. The same page with the afterburner theme is 1.16s.

Any thoughts anybody please to know where to start looking for a solution?

Many Thanks

In reply to David O'Brien

by Mary Evans -

Yes, I think it's the awesomebar that slows everything down.

To test this hypotesis try testing the lates version of Decaf as this is where the Moodlebook stemmed from.

Paul Nicholls has just uploaded the latest version and from what I have heard is is sounding pretty good.

Here is the link to Pauls post on this forum from earlier today.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=203236

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by David O'Brien -

Thanks Mary.

I have been using your cafelite on our 1.9+ live moodle smile

I am off until Monday so will try you suggestion then.

Regards

by Mary Evans -

Oh...in that case I could make you a Cafelite with awesomebar and that would fix your problems! LOL

In reply to Mary Evans

by David O'Brien -

Hi Mary

I tried out the decaf theme and although a little faster I still do not feel it is fast enough for me to use. Errors give nothing that would help in looking further. I'm trying to figure out what is slow and where I can make those comparisons. For example the Afterburner theme is fast and has the speed I like. Now I know that there is a lot more going on with say the moodlebook or decaf theme, but even when I compare them to a Drupal/Ubercart site where there is a lot going on, their speed does not match up.

I'd be happy to supply any further info if it would help in trying to pinpoint this issue, otherwise I think I am going to have to shelve it for now.

Kind Regards
Dave

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

The loss of speed with decaf is casued by the awesomebar, so lose that and your theme should work as a normal theme, it just means you won't have the settings and naviagtion in the top menu bar.

The reason for the loss of speed is that the awesombar makes too many calls to the database. Paul Nicholls, who maintains the Decaf theme, is looking into this to try and reduce it.

You may be better contacting Paul yourself to find out more.

Hope this helps?

Mary

by David O'Brien -

Hi,

I had a similar speed issue with the decaf theme. I found a resolution to this and posted over at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=203236#p894563

I believe this is could be my same issue for the facebooky theme. I download the theme today and on a moodle 2.3 install the facebook theme does not show the middle column content, it has "main content here" on all pages so I have not been able to test further.

Regards

Dave

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Argh I just typed out a huge reply and got some sort of error which ate it.

Basically, Dave, I can't recreate the issue you're having but it might have something to do with the main content being called with the old way of doing it using core_renderer::MAIN_CONTENT_TOKEN rather than $OUTPUT->main_content()

It is something that I think the theme developer will need to fix to keep this theme workable in future versions of Moodle.

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by David O'Brien -

Thanks for the reply Miriam

I can see how that would work. In /theme/moodlebook/layout/frontpage.php around line 89 there is a reference to core_renderer.

From the decaf theme I borrowed

<?php echo method_exists($OUTPUT, "main_content")?$OUTPUT->main_content():core_renderer::MAIN_CONTENT_TOKEN ?>

but this did not work.

I'm happy to try any ideas anybody might have.

Regards

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi David,

Have you checked that this isn't simply an issue of a missing punctuation somewhere - a missing ", ;, or > ?

It sounds like a <!-- --> or php equivalent may have got mixed up in the code allowing a comment to be displayed as if it were proper content and then hiding the next bit of code

HTH

Richard

by David O'Brien -

Hi Richard

I couldn't see any errant markup and also tried <?php echo $OUTPUT->main_content() ?>

Regards

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Have you tried deleting the Moodlebook theme you have on your Moodle site, downloading a fresh new one hot off the github, and reinstalling it?

by Mary Evans -

David,

You seem to know alot about a lot of Moodle code, but have you Purged all caches in Moodle?  Go to Settings -> Site Administration > Developement > Purge all caches and see if that lets the changes, you are making to your theme's layout files, be read by Moodle rather than seeing the old cached files you are so obviously getting, especially if you are making changes to the correct files in your current Moodle site.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by David O'Brien -

Hi Mary,

No I don't know that much about the core code, just good at poking around! Although I am no php coder by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes I have purged the caches (many times) with the same outcome. I have just downloaded moodlebook today and updated moodle to Moodle 2.3+ (Build: 20120701) still no content in the center column though.

Only error reported is:

PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of moodlebook_expand_navigation::initialise() should be compatible with that of global_navigation::initialise() in /var/www/moodledev/theme/moodlebook/lib.php on line 214, referer: http://moodledev.xxxxxxxxxx.ac.uk

I'm going to have another play around.

Regards

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi David,

I got that error as well when I tried to use any of my themes that used the awesomebar in 2.3 - I know Paul has done a lot of work on awesomebar since I last updated any of my themes (Promise I will try to get them updated during the summer mixed having not succeeded in getting flexi done during easter!).

I believe (from memory) that moodlebook also uses awesomebar/decaf code and it maybe that this needs updating in line with the changes to the latest versions of moodle???

Richard

by David O'Brien -

Hello all again.
I am back looking at the Facebook theme yippee smile

So today I updated Moodle to Moodle 2.3.1+ (Build: 20120809) and downloaded a fresh copy of the facebook theme, purged all caches and cleared theme cache. Sadly there is still the issue of the [MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE]  Has anyone got this theme working with a fresh 2.3 install?

I will persevere with this as it is a great theme smile

Regards

Dave

by Mary Evans -

The theme has not been updated as far as I know!

But I will take a look and see if I can fix it!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris McAnally -

Thanks, I'm also getting this and looking for what I need to do to fix it.

In reply to Chris McAnally

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Chris,

Where did you download it from?  The latest version (as downloaed using the link in the very first post in this thread - NOT the old Themes database) seems to work for me on 2.3 - except that with full debug output enabled, it spits out some guff at the top of the page.  A quick peek at the code suggests that anything using the "embedded" layout (typically popup windows) may still suffer from the [MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE] issue, in which case you can change the following line in layout/embedded.php:

<?php echo core_renderer::MAIN_CONTENT_TOKEN ?>

To read:

<?php echo method_exists($OUTPUT, "main_content")?$OUTPUT->main_content():core_renderer::MAIN_CONTENT_TOKEN ?>

... and that should fix it.

by Julian Ridden -

Hi David,

The theme has not been updated for a while. Ill start working on it now and have something for you in the next 48 hours smile

Julian

by Mary Evans -

Julian,

I downloaded the latest version from your GIT Hub repo, earlier today, I deleted the embedded.php as it picks it up from Canvas and failing that Base theme, so no real worries there, infact if you delete all the $THEME->layouts in moodlebook/config.php, Moodlebook still knows which layouts to use as it picks all this up from the parent themes, just as long as the layout files for general.php and frontpage.php are in moodlebook/layout directory all should be well. You only really need to $THEME->layout info if you have some special layouts, like course.php or mydashboard.php etc., or like the Rocket theme where there are Custom block regions.

However...that said...when running in Moodle 2.4 Alpha I am getting this warning...see image below.

I tried to fix it but got lost in moodle/lib/navigationlib.php. sad

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks for the advice Mary. I have actioned your suggestions regarding layouts. I must admit I am not building for 2.4 at this time but just focusing on 2.3. I will look into the dodgy library however as I get the time.

Still some CSS to fix up regarding menu's, but I would say we are 90% there.

JR

by Mary Evans -

JR:

Forget that about the ERROR in Moodle 2.4Alpha as my local version has gone all screwy I think some files got corrupted when I last updated it. I've got some really strange things happening now like Theme selector link inside Theme settings as well as all the Custom settings too! Really weired!

I hope it's just me, if not then Moodle has a BIG problem!

by Fedaa Attana -

Hello

I'd like to thank you Julian.. it's really a cool theme.. is there any hope to have a version for moodle 1.9?

My host server can't do with moodle 2 php memory requirements!! so I'm using 1.9...

Is there any hope??

In reply to Fedaa Attana

by Jorge Eduardo -
resulta que descomprimí el archivo del tema y lo puse en la carpeta moodle\theme y no me a funcionado el tema y estoy usando moodle 2.0. que debo hacer?

by Tom Wootton -

I really love this theme. I am having a couple of problems with it though. There is a sideways scrollbar along the bottom unless I make the window very large on my 27 inch iMac. I also sometimes get sideways scroll bars on lessons. Is there a fix for these two issues? I a running Moodle 2.0 in MAMP or perhaps a more recent addition if I knew how to find out.

by Nora Marceau -

I tried installing moodlebook, but something went wrong and I don't know how to fix it. This is what it looks like:

Can anyone help?

by Chris McAnally -

This is a beautiful theme, but I've noticed several layout issues and it seems from above that it's still not resolved.

for example the Tiny MCE editor Moodle uses seems to be cut off partially by the right column when I edit a topic in a course.

Has anyone fixed the Layout issues?  This seems by far the best theme in terms of attractiveness and functionality.  Cudos to Lei Zhang & Julian!

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

No one fixes these themes...LOL

They just leave it up to us to fix it!

You can probably do this yourself. All you need is a text editor like Notepad.

You need to be able to access your theme's directory on the server.

Locate and open moodle/theme/moodlebook/pagelayout.css and look for anything related to .side-pre-only, .side-post-only, and .content-only

The problem you are experiencing will be due to the wrong values in one or all of theme settings.

What I do first is give the following ID selectors colours...

#page-content { background: red}
#page-main-box {background: green;}
#page-post-box{background: blue;}

So copy and paste this to the very end of the pagelayout.css

Next as Admin login to your Moodle site and go to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme setting and enable Theme Developer Mode save and return to your Home page.

Now switch to Firefox and download and install the Addon Firebug.

Next select the page which is causing you most grief, and right click in the header of the page and select Inspect Element. This opens up Firebug in the lower half for your browser window. Now look and find out which body class the page is using, by searching through the pagelayout which you will see in your screen.

Also you could check to see what is the Theme Layout default side for the course page in your config.php for this theme. It should look like this...

$THEME->layouts = array(
'base' => array(
'file' => 'general.php',
'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post'),
'defaultregion' => 'side-post',
),
'general' => array(
'file' => 'general.php',
'defaultregion' => 'side-post',
),
'course' => array(
'file' => 'general.php',
'defaultregion' => 'side-post'
),

When you get to this point, comeback and tell me what body class it is using. I'm guessing it's side-pre-only.

Then we need to check what the values are for that body class in the canvas and base theme as these settings may be conflicting with the theme.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris McAnally -
Ok, I opened config.php in moodlebook and found this for the course array 'course' => array( 'file' => 'general.php', 'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post'), 'defaultregion' => 'side-post' ), The body class has value path-calendar gecko gecko20 dir-ltr lang-en yui-skin-sam yui3-skin-sam moodle-scischina-org pagelayout-standard course-1 context-1 editing jsenabled It seems to crop up most often when editing things like calendar events, topic notes, and assignments. It's not a major issue, just cutting off the text editor slightly which is irritating if I ask teachers to use the theme. Decaf has some similar issues, just a few less and I've fixed a problem with the site menu overlapping the logout link.
Attachment Screen shot 2011-04-23 at 10.01.14 AM.png

by Mary Evans -

Hi

I think this problem could be solved by enabelling the dock module, which you can do in config.php by adding the following...

$THEME->enable_dock = true;

Then you can move the left side block out of the way, thus giving you more space.

Best I can do as I dont have time to even find a solution for this problem. You could try contatacting Juilan.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Samuel -

Is there a way to get this theme to use all the space instead of having it in the centre of the page? because when i play a flash or video all i can see is half of that player and i would like to see it all without scrolling up and down or right to left.

Thank you!

by mahmoud nasr -
In reply to mahmoud nasr

Одговор: Re: Facebooky - A Facebook theme for Moodle 2

by Dragan Ristic -

I am Moodlebook user and haven′t that problem. Maybe the problem is because of IE; try Mozilla

by David Roberts -

Hi All,

Great looking theme!!  I am getting an error in the top left corner of the page...

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in D:\web\apache_64\htdocs\dynamic\whh\moodle\theme\moodlebook\renderers.php on line 203Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in D:\web\apache_64\htdocs\dynamic\whh\moodle\theme\moodlebook\renderers.php on line 202

I looked at the rederers lines 202 and 203

if (!($bc->attributes['class'] == 'block_settings  block' && $this->page->theme->settings->hidesettingsblock)

&& !($bc->attributes['class'] == 'block_navigation  block' && $this->page->theme->settings->hidenavigationblock)) {

Any idea what would be causing it?

dave

In reply to David Roberts

by Richard Oelmann -
Yes, This was identified in my update of Krystle2 as well (another theme that uses Lei's awesomebar from decaf) The issue is with the settings page that allows you to hide the settings block and navigation block. You need to make sure that this settings page is properly integrated into your theme - at least that was the issue we had with krystle2 and that was with the same lines in the renderers smile Richard PS. Is anyone else having a problem with the text editor in the forum, or is it my computer?

by Mary Evans -

Have you got Javascript turned off in your browser? smile LOL

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

No, hadn't changed anything and the text editor stopped appearing, didn't change anything and it came back again a few hours later.

I have a feeling it's down to my internet connection being slow and not loading it up? Anyway, working again smile

Facebooky - Problems with Moodle 2.1?

by Robert Kern -

Hi Julian, Hi all,

are there known problems with the Facebook theme and the new Moodle Vesion 2.1? After i installed Moodle 2.1 and choose the Facebook Theme first all will run fine. But after i created a course and go to the course site i get a blank site (only the Facebook logo with the blue blackgorund i see)! I dont know what the problem is. Perhaps someone can help me.

Thank you and best regards

Robert

In reply to Robert Kern

Re: Facebooky - Problems with Moodle 2.1?

by Lei Zhang -

Try to increase php's memory limit. Because Facebooky's awesomebar is inherited from Decaf, it tends to use bit of memory to generate the drop down menu you see in Facebooky theme.

HTH,

-Lei

In reply to Lei Zhang

by Robert Kern -

Hi Lei,

the memory limit cannot be the reason because in my php.ini the memory limit is 128M. I think thats enough. I increase it to 256M, but there is the same problem. After i log in, i get a blank site (on the top i see the Logo on a blue background, the rest of the site is blank).

Thank you for more help!

In reply to Robert Kern

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Robert,

Can you change your site to a core theme of Moodle, then allow user themes, add another admin user, switch on debug for developers and change the user theme for one admin to Facebooky? This is only a suggestion. Perhaps a debug message will show up. I am not a developer at all.

See also "Beginning Administration 4 FAQ"

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Robert Kern -
Ok here the error:

Fatal error: Cannot access private property course_modinfo::$course in C:\Apache\Apache2.2\htdocs\lms\lib\navigationlib.php on line 1670

# Time Memory Function Location

1 0.0009 425472 {main}( ) ..\editadvanced.php:0

2 1.4571 32478864 core_renderer->header( ) ..\editadvanced.php:267

3 1.4675 32823624 core_renderer->render_page_layout( ) ..\outputrenderers.php:612

4 1.4680 32905264 include( 'C:\Apache\Apache2.2\htdocs\lms\theme\moodlebook\layout\general.php' ) ..\outputrenderers.php:654

5 1.9495 47358344 moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_tree( ) ..\general.php:44

6 1.9499 47359016 moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node( ) ..\lib.php:27

7 1.9585 47368200 moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node( ) ..\lib.php:67

8 1.9933 50292560 moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node( ) ..\lib.php:65

9 1.9959 50301048 moodlebook_expand_navigation->__construct( ) ..\lib.php:60

10 1.9959 50301984 moodlebook_expand_navigation->initialise( ) ..\lib.php:200

11 2.0025 50352776 global_navigation->load_section_activities( ) ..\lib.php:257
In reply to Robert Kern

by Robert Kern -

this error is before the fatal error:

global_navigation::load_section_activities argument 3 should now recieve an array of activites. See that method for an example.
line 1669 of \lib\navigationlib.php: call to debugging()
line 257 of \theme\moodlebook\lib.php: call to global_navigation->load_section_activities()
line 200 of \theme\moodlebook\lib.php: call to moodlebook_expand_navigation->initialise()
line 60 of \theme\moodlebook\lib.php: call to moodlebook_expand_navigation->__construct()
line 65 of \theme\moodlebook\lib.php: call to moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 67 of \theme\moodlebook\lib.php: call to moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 27 of \theme\moodlebook\lib.php: call to moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 44 of \theme\moodlebook\layout\general.php: call to moodlebook_topsettings_renderer->navigation_tree()
line 654 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to include()
line 612 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
line 267 of \user\editadvanced.php: call to core_renderer->header()
Fatal error: Cannot access private property course_modinfo::$course in C:\Apache\Apache2.2\htdocs\lms\lib\navigationlib.php on line 1670

In reply to Robert Kern

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting both debug messages. I appreciate your effort, althought I have no knowledge about php, but I hope someone will read your comments who is able to interpret the messages.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Robert Kern

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi all,

I've just updated Decaf to fix these issues with 2.1 compatibility.  I've sent Julian an email with the details, so hopefully he can update Facebooky soon.

-Paul

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Paul,

I am glad to hear that you found a fix for Decaf and Facebooky/Moodlebook. Could you also send the details to Richard Oelmann for the Krystle2 theme? Will the themes with this fix require Moodle 2.1 or can they also be used for Moodle 2.0.3?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Hartmut,

The updated theme works with Moodle 2.0.x and 2.1 (and current 2.2dev, but that's currently identical to 2.1 release anyway).  I've notified Richard, and he says it's on his to-do list for this weekend - so hopefully he'll have an update for you in the next few days.

Regards,
Paul

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Paul,

Many, many thanks for your effort and time that you volunteered not only for fixing the problem but also sharing the information. I am looking forward to the revised Krystle2 theme.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Robert Kern -

Hi Paul,

the fix run very well for me (Decaf Theme). Can you tell us the problem, perhaps we can fix the facebooky theme myself!

Thanks!

Horizontal scroll bar shows one blank space on the right of screen of course

by Pepe Botella -

Great theme, thanks!!!

Hello, I have a problem with the size of horizontal scroll. When I'm in the course screen, the horizontal scroll bar shows one blank space on the right of screen. This problem doesn't appear in others places of site, only in the course screen. Can you help me, please? - I think that this problem perhaps can to be caused by css atributes, but I don't know resolve it.

Thanks a lot!

In reply to Pepe Botella

Re: Horizontal scroll bar shows one blank space on the right of screen of course

by Mary Evans -

Hi Pepe,

I'll look at this and try to find you a fix, but I am not promising anything...and it may take me a while to do as I am very busy right now.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Horizontal scroll bar shows one blank space on the right of screen of course

by Pepe Botella -

Thanks a lot!

I see that this error is similar in other courses. If you go to "Demostration Site" and you login as a guest (http://playpen.moodle.com.au/moodle20/course/view.php?id=2&theme=moodlebook), you see that the horizontal scroll has a blank space.  I have a 1280x800 resolution. So, I move the horizontal scroll and the blue top bar finishes in white. If I make zoom, the problem disapear. This problem only appear in the courses.

THANKS A LOT!

In reply to Pepe Botella

by Mary Evans -

You could try this FIX

In the main CSS file for this theme. Might be core.css (not sure without checking) add the following to the very end of the css file...

#page { width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; position: relative; overflow: hidden}

That should fix it.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Pepe Botella -

Thanks a lot for reply!

I have done that you say, but the problem doesn't dissapear. The problem only appears on the course screen. The scroll horizontal appears in this case. I'm crazy by this problem! - The theme is wonderfull, but this problem make that the theme is a bit ugly.

Thanks!

In reply to Pepe Botella

by Mary Evans -

There is a problem with the pagelayout.css I am sure of it. But it is difficult to do if you are not familar with it. You need to look at the pagelayout.css in canvas and base themes and see if you notice anything odd.

Mary

by Julian Ridden -

With thanks to the efforts put in by Paul Nicholls the Moodlebook theme has been updated for those of you using Moodle 2.1.

I have also made sure there is no Mac folders left behind in the zip as well.

Keep posting as you find issues and fixes and Ill endeavor to stay on top of things.

Julian (moodleman)

by Dan Humpherson -

Julian I found a couple of Issues, with browsers FF 3.6 and IE9 that could possibly be occuring in other browsers but I havent been able to test.

1. Login page, the 2 columns do not expand to fill all of the space available.

2. You'll notice I've left the horizontal scroll bar in on the above screen shot, basically every page I visit I have this additional white space on the right hand side of the page. I've seen this quite a few times with various themes but have never seen a fix for it.

3. Moodle menu, I suspect this is the built in Moodle menu functionality.You can see that the alignment of the menu items if off, also the hover effect is off to the right.

4. Drop down menu when hovering over the profile icon next to the Moodlebook logo has an 'interesting' and some times unreadable appearance.

If someone does work out whats going on with bug 2. I'd be really interested to hear how you solved it.

Im no novice to HTML/PHP/CSS/Javascript but I have to confess to being totally unimpressed with the 'base' CSS and layout that is now applied to Moodle 2. I really have no idea why so many floats and negative margins are required to achieve such a simple layout. I almost want my tables back smile

In reply to Dan Humpherson

by Mary Evans -

Hi Dan,

You need to read Matthew James Taylors website, see source code for that page for the original guide to how the layout works. Also if you read last years discussions in the themes forum on Moodle 2.0 - Pagelayout  you will see how the naming of the layout came about too.

You are not restricted to base or standard or canvas as a parent theme, indeed it is encouraged that you try other layouts.

HTH

Mary

by Gehrt Delius -

Actually there is no working download in die themes dowload-section ... sad

In reply to Gehrt Delius

by Mary Evans -

That's strange as I downloaded it from there yesterday! Perhaps Julian is updating it as it breaks in Moodle 2.1.

Incase you added the wrong name it's actually called Moodlebook and NOT Facebooky

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gehrt Delius -

I looked an downloads->themes and sorted it from newest to oldest. Moodlebook seemed not to be toched. So how should i know that there is a new version?

Try downloading NOW! It doesn't work (/mod/data/demo.moodle.com.au/downloads/moodlebook.zip is not existing!)

In reply to Gehrt Delius

by Robert Kern -

Hi all try this: http://demo.moodle.com.au/downloads/moodlebook.zip
I think there is an error with the link!

I have test the updated theme and it will work, but the right side is empty. I miss the Navigation bar. Can someone look, if he has the same problems?

Thanks

In reply to Robert Kern

by Robert Kern -

Ok i have found the problem! In the theme settings, the Settings block and the navigation block is standard hide!

In reply to Gehrt Delius

by Gehrt Delius -

Well, it's just a wrong link. You have to remove "moodle.org/mod/data/"

This works: http://demo.moodle.com.au/downloads/moodlebook.zip

In reply to Gehrt Delius

by Mary Evans -

Thanks for that I've just FIXED it...save Julian a job!!! smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mary,

Thanks a lot for your work. I installed the updated moodlebook in our main domain just a few minutes ago. I am sorry to tell you that I received bascally a blank page with the theme name at the top and the following debug message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/pibceduc/public_html/lib/navigationlib.php on line 3888

I have no problems using Aardvark-Makeover with our main domain, but I get the same debug message with Krystle2 (Richard is aware of it) and with Decaf. The memory size of 536870912 bytes is 512 M.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Moodlebook Background change

by Bantei Syiemiong -

Hi,

Can anyone help me how i should change the moodle theme background color to white?

I have done the following:

Please tell me if i can do it directly from the code....

thanks in advance...

Ban

In reply to Bantei Syiemiong

Re: Moodlebook Background change

by Richard Oelmann -

Ban,

It can be done in the code directly, but there is no need - it should work from where you have it here on the Moodlebook settings page.

Don't forget you will need to either purge all caches (Site Administration-> Development-> Purge Caches) or enable Theme Designer Mode (Site Administration-> Appearance-> Themes-> Theme Settings) for changes in css to show up

HTH

Richard

Re: Moodlebook Background change

by Bantei Syiemiong -

Hi Ricahrd,

It worked!!!!

Thanks and Regards,

Ban

Shillong,Meghalaya...

by Keyser Söze -
When I load the theme in 2.1 I get this error:  Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error
In reply to Keyser Söze

by Keyser Söze -

Is/has anyone else experienced this issue?  If so did you find a workaraound?

In reply to Keyser Söze

by Sam Mudle -

Well I just downloaded MoodleBook on 2.1.1 and it seems to work fine.  I allow my users to set their themes and no one has complained about any problems.  YMMV wink

In reply to Keyser Söze

by Eric Dodémont -

I had the same problem as you when using the "Moodlebook" theme in Moodle 2.1. It only happens if you have included a topic section on the site's front page.

The error is corrected in the "Decaf" theme ("Moodlebook" is based on that theme).

Bellow you can download the "moodlebook-patched2.tar.gz" file which corrects that bug. It also corrects a second bug which appears in Moodle 2.2.

Patches from the "Decaf" theme:

- Patch1 (affect Moodle 2.1): https://github.com/leizhang/moodle-theme_decaf/commit/2d89cbe1a25ee4290727365ce4cabbbab98220a4.
- Patch2 (affect Moodel 2.2): https://github.com/leizhang/moodle-theme_decaf/commit/c8ff09cd5b9bf11195a1b26b215641909d5345c0.

If you are under Linux (but it is similar if you are under Windows):

(a) Download the "moodlebook-patched2.tar.gz" file (which corrects the two bugs):

$ wget http://dodeeric.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/moodlebook/moodlebook-patched2.tar.gz

(b) Move it to the moodle/theme directory:

$ sudo mv moodlebook-patched2.tar.gz /usr/share/moodle/theme/

(c) Untar it:

$ cd /usr/share/moodle/theme/ ; sudo tar -xzvf moodlebook-patched2.tar.gz

In reply to Eric Dodémont

by Shahrooz Bhopti -

Where can I find login.php in the moodlebook theme to edit? 

See Step 4: https://github.com/mouneyrac/auth_googleoauth2

In reply to Shahrooz Bhopti

by Shahrooz Bhopti -

The config file points to general.php for login, but as far as editing general.php does anyone have any advice as to where to put the above "Google / Facebook / Messenger Oauth2 Authentication plugin" https://github.com/mouneyrac/auth_googleoauth2 snippet? (I currently have it right before the footer of general.php)

The only code to be edited seems to be the logo location, but those logos aren't located in moodlebook's pix folder.  Assuming I have to design my own logos to be placed in moodlebook's pix folder, any idea what else needs to be edited to get this plugin to work with moodlebook?

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

If I were you I would make a copy of layout/general.php and call it login.php and put it in the layout directory of your theme, and then change the reference from 'general.php' to 'login.php' in the config.php for the LOGIN layout ONLY!!!

Then add the php code snippet to the central part of your new login page...somewhere in this region...

<div id="region-main">
                        <div class="region-content">
                           < ?php echo core_renderer::MAIN_CONTENT_TOKEN ?>

//add plugin code here

</div>
                    </div>

Or you could add a HTML block using ADD BLOCK - turn editing on in main home page for this...

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Shahrooz Bhopti -

1.  I added the login HTML block, after turning editing on, but where do I edit the code here? 

2.  When inserting the plugin code into the new login.php page - https://github.com/mouneyrac/auth_googleoauth2 - do I need to edit the code?

3.  When I click on authenticate adminstrative section, it makes all pages inaccessible with "Server not found".

by Mary Evans -

In the HTML block when you go to EDIT it (you need to turn editing ON first) you need to got to the HTML section of the editor.

Then add the code ... from section (4.) from this page...

https://github.com/mouneyrac/auth_googleoauth2

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Shahrooz Bhopti -

Thanks Mary smile I'm stuck on after turning editing on, I go to the following Page path:

Home
    /   Site administration
    /   Appearance
    /   Additional HTML

And then add the code without editing anything from section (4.) from

Which section would I copy the above code to?

Within HEAD

additionalhtmlhead

or

When BODY is opened

additionalhtmltopofbody

or

Before BODY is closed

additionalhtmlfooter

by Mary Evans -

Before BODY is closed

In reply to Mary Evans

by Shahrooz Bhopti -

I added the code, before body is closed, but I don't see any authentication feature other than the normal moodle login prompt after logging out.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! smile

Re: Facebooky - A Facebook theme for Moodle 2 - Now called Moodlebook

by Julian Ridden -

Hi All

I would like to give loud gratuitous thanks to the hard work of many who have been adding and sharing code to this theme, it has now been updated For Moodle 2.2 and also moved to Git.

Please check the initial post at the top of this page for updated download links. While sadly I am not around as much as I like, I do check the forums and am keen to update the theme with as many improvements and fixes as I can.

Regards

Julian

by Shahrooz Bhopti -

Julian or anyone else, thanks in advance for any assistance in getting:

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=auth_googleoauth2

and/or 

https://github.com/mozilla/browserid/wiki/How-to-Use-BrowserID-on-Your-Site

configured to sync/create users with this theme / moodle smile

by John Dooley -

Will this help solve my problems with the 'serious error with the session' and Max_packet errors since moving to this theme?  Generally I only get it when I logout and logback in within the same browser window.  Anyone else getting this?

In reply to John Dooley

by Mary Evans -

Hi John,

Can you copy and paste the actual error you are getting into Notepad and save it as a txt file and add it to your next post here. This would help me in finding a solution for you.

If you are sure it is only this theme then it needs addressing in the theme of which I have a master copy.

It may well be you have an older version which had a few errors.

You could try purging all caches ... that might help.

Site Administration > Development >Purge all caches

You could also try running moodle/admin/cron.php to clear up old sessions etc.,

What you could also do, if neither of the other options cleared the problem, is enable debugging...

Site Administration > Development > Debugging

That way you will discover if it is the theme or not.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Dooley -

"Serious Session Error detected

please notify administrator, this problem is most probably caused by small value in max_allowed_packet MySQL setting."

*See attached image*

I will run the purge all caches also and enable debugging.

Ran cron which is on my crontab to run every 300 seconds, but it came out like so:

:cli macsystemadmin$ php cron.php
Server Time: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:21:45 +0100

Running clean-up tasks...
 Deleted old cache_text records
 Executed tag cron
 Cleaned up context instances
 Built context paths
 Cleaned cache flags
 Cleaned up read notifications
...finished clean-up tasks
 Notified login failured
 Created missing context instances
Cleaned up stale user sessions
Running auth crons if required...
Running enrol crons if required...
Running cron for enrol_cohort...
Starting activity modules
Processing module function assignment_cron ...... used 3 dbqueries
... used 0.01200795173645 seconds
done.
Processing module function forum_cron ...Starting digest processing...
Cleaned old digest records
... used 3 dbqueries
... used 0.0020380020141602 seconds
done.
Finished activity modules
Starting blocks
Finished blocks
Starting quiz reports
Finished quiz reports
Starting admin reports
Finished admin reports
Starting main gradebook job...
done.
Starting processing the event queue...
done.
Starting the completion cron...
done
Starting the portfolio cron...
done
Starting course reports
Finished course reports
Starting gradebook plugins
Finished gradebook plugins
Fetching external blog entries...done.
Deleting blog associations linked to non-existent contexts...done.
Starting registration update on hubs...
Finished registration update on hubs.
Deleting session linked tokens more than one day old...done.
Starting admin tools
Processing cron function for tool_qeupgradehelper...
done. (1 dbqueries, 0 seconds)
Finished admin tools
Processing customized cron scripts ...done.
Checking automated backup status...OK
Getting admin info
Checking courses
Skipping deleted courses...0 courses
Running required automated backups...
Automated backups complete.
...preventing stats to run, last execution was less than 20 hours ago.
Deleting old draft files... done.
Cron script completed correctly
Execution took 0.634945 seconds

Debug mode on health of server gives:

61.549947 secs RAM: 82.1MB RAM peak: 82.4MB Included 847 files Contexts for which filters were loaded: 1 Filters created: 1 Pieces of content filtered: 1 Strings filtered: 0 get_string calls: 7354 strings mem cache hits: 7143 strings disk cache hits: 232 DB reads/writes: 861/12 ticks: 6155 user: 113 sys: 12 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 0.28 Session: 8.6KB
Attachment image001.png
In reply to John Dooley

by John Dooley -
In reply to John Dooley

by Aaron Johnson -

I just installed the lasted moodle 2.2 in a test environment and installed the moodlebook theme (which is awesome) but when I visit the gradebook this is what I see:

Attachment moodlebookscrn.png
In reply to Aaron Johnson

by Mary Evans -

And your question is?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Aaron Johnson -

Mary Evans- Seriously? It looks like there is a bug in the theme. The whole top bar is missing completely, the side menu CSS is missing, it doesn't look right at all.

Please don't tell me this is how it's supposed to look...

by Richard Oelmann -

Aaron Johnson - Jokingly! Forum community members are often superheroes - but mind reading is not among the powers given out smile

I don't have this theme installed and I can't see that much difference between your image and the one on the old plugins database for the side menu.  - but a quick look at the config.php would suggest  that the issue might be that it doesn't actually call a layout for reports in the theme (which i believe is what the gradebook uses) and so is probably calling the one from the base theme and therefore not applying the top bar or the sidebar css.

try adding

'report' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
    ),

into the $THEME->layouts = array( section of config.php. That should at least apply the general layout from the theme - although this may need to be replaced by a tailored reports.php to fix the issue properly.

HTH

Richard

by Aaron Johnson -

Wow Richard, that was an excellent guess if you actually didn't test it before posting. Here is what it looks like now (after making some tweaks to the theme myself)

Thank you very much, hopefully this fix gets pushed into github soon at a minimum.

Attachment moodlebookfixed.png

by Richard Oelmann -

hehehe not that excellent a guess - just experience of having a similar problem with a theme I created in the past! :D But did need you to say what the problem was with your original image before I could even make that guess wink

Glad its working now

Richard

by Julian Ridden -

Update pushed to Git today smile

by Richard Smith -

Hi, my first post ever here. I'm a new moodle user and have installed latest the moodle version and this fantastic theme. I'm more than grateful for all your contributions and all your time and work! THANKS!! smile

My problem is that input fields shift to the left if an error message appears. The injected SPAN using error CSS seems to be the problem but I'm not sure how to fix this? Thanks.

Span class error shifts content?

by Steve B -

Hi Julian,

I may be using an older version of your theme but when I try to preview a question in the Question bank the Close Preview button does not work also it seems to cut off the right part of the inserted picture.

Just thought you would like to know.

In reply to Steve B

by Darlene Murphy -

I am using moodle 2.2 and have downloaded both themes from the top of this thread and have gotten neither one to work.  The second one just gives me the header and nothing else.

LadyDee

In reply to Darlene Murphy

by Mary Evans -

Hi LadyDee

I don't think this theme has been updated recently?

Can I make a suggestion?

While you are learning how to work with Moodle the way you want your site to look, why not go for one of the CORE themes that has a Custom settings page, then you can restyle the theme to suit you?

You could even create your own theme based on a design you like. There are a list of tutorials at the top of the themes forum to help you achive this.

Cheers

Mary

by rendy kurniawan -

Hi, i want to ask, i've installed this theme to my moodle, and then it run smoothly, but on the header, there is a little bit of JS appear.

does anyone know how to fix it ?

thank you =)

In reply to rendy kurniawan

by Mary Evans -

Have you changed any files?