Reply to addresses not being set with Google Mail

Reply to addresses not being set with Google Mail

by Ian McNaught -
Number of replies: 3

I've got an install of Moodle setup with Google Apps for Education. It sends emails without any problem, but they all go as if they're from the Moodle email address. They have the name of the person sending it, but not their email. This means people are replying to these emails but they are just going into the VLE inbox, not to the correct person.

Is this a limitation of Google Mail? I know you can specify alternative 'From' addresses, but that would require adding (and having confirmed) every single user. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ian McNaught

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian McNaught

Re: Reply to addresses not being set with Google Mail

by Ian McNaught -

Can someone clarify? Emails sent to users from Moodle, should have the email address of the sender in the "reply-to" header, rather than the system email address, assuming the sender does not have their email address hidden? Is this correct? Presumably some email servers prevent unauthorised reply-to addresses from being used hence my problem here?

Any help would be appreciated, first time configuring Moodle from scratch!

In reply to Ian McNaught

by Aleix Buch -

Hi,

we are having exactly the same problem with Google Apps and the system email instead of the email from the user who is sending the message.

Aleix Buch

In reply to Aleix Buch

by Ian McNaught -

I've come to the conclusion that it is not possible to configure Google Apps to work properly with Moodle, according to our Google Apps rep, changing the reply address is not possible without explicitly authorising the other address. I've switched to using IIS virtual SMTP instead, got it working in 5 minutes rather than the hours I spent trying to get Google Apps to play fair!