Student Use Policy?

Student Use Policy?

by Gina Russell Stevens -
Number of replies: 16
Does anyone have a student use policy for Moodle that they can share with me - a Moodle-specific computer/internet use policy that could be used with high school/secondary school students?

My partner and I will be introducing students to Moodle at a local high school early tomorrow morning, and while the district already has parental permission for computer/internet use on file, the district's policy was not conceived with virtual classrooms or Moodle in mind.   Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gina Russell Stevens

Re: Student Use Policy?

by Teemu Sumi -
Moodle 1.5 has it. Of course it's only development version, so I don't recommend to use that (for testers only wink). I will modify my Moodle 1.4.2 to use that feature. I can send it when it's ready (saturday Finland's time).

Cheers
Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

Teemu,

Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful response.   Please send it to me when it's ready. 

You programmers really must stop teasing us about Moodle 1.5's new features wink... the anticipation is driving many of us crazy smile.

All the best,
Gina

by W Page -
Hi Gina!

It looks like you are looking for some "Student Use" policies that have been actively used and what the experiences have been of the folks who have used them.

Suggest you check in with,
Art Lader
Ray Lawrence

Both are teachers who run Moodle websites, and, if I remember correctly, use "Student Use" policies.

Both are also members of this "Using Moodle" course.

Good luck!

I have not forgotten about the NY Moodle Group thing.  Still aiming for February or a March get together.

WP1

In reply to W Page

Hi WP1!

Thanks so much for the referral.  Teemu is sending me the student use policy that will be included in Moddle 1.5 on Saturday (Finland time). 

As a contingency for tomorrow, I will reach out to the two teachers you recommended above.

I'm really looking forward to the NYC get together.  Let me know if you need any help.

Gina

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Teemu was not referring to a standard text (there won't be one) but rather the new possibility in Moodle 1.5 of preventing a student from accessing anything until they agree to a (locally written) policy document.

The range of possibilities for documents world-wide is huge, so a standard text would not be too useful ...

A selection of templates somewhere to help people get started might be a good idea, though ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Frances Bell -
I have done some work on governance of online discussion, e-learning communities, etc. from which I produced a framework for tutors and institutions production of guidelines.  Full academic paper available on request but the basic idea is that governance is a process, and that whatever guidelines tutor, etc. produce, they exist within a web of other policies, rules, guidelines, etc.
Here is framework

Section

Developed by

Notes

1. Introduction

An introductory paragraph that gives the purpose of the guidelines, highlights the values of the school/university, and provides links to existing policies and procedures.

School/institution

2. Actual Guidelines

a) Non-negotiable what school/institution decrees

School/institution

These may include:

· Courtesy to and respect for other participants

· Sensitivity to other religions / cultures

· Recognition of contribution of others

b) Negotiable what you can get students to discuss and agree, using the Etiquette cycle

Staff/students

These may include:

· Tips on sociability e.g. introductions during ice-breaker discussion

· Stylistic tips expected language style, length of postings, formality of referencing, etc.

3. Pedagogic

These guidelines may be published with the assignment specification, and will be related to the purpose of learning activity being assessed and its learning outcomes, e.g. critical evaluation guidance/ criteria, assessment criteria

Lecturer (possibly in consultation with students)

These may include criteria relating to :

· Frequency of reading and posting

· Style and presentation (that may override guidelines in 2b)

· Quality indicators for content of posting

· Behaviours that promote inclusivity of discussion

Quality Criteria for guidelines

In writing guidelines, we should aim for:

· More prescriptions - Dos - than proscriptions - Donts

· Clarity and brevity

· Clear links to other norms (particularly those that supersede the ones being written), including implicit norms that may promote self-governance by the participants themselves

· Invite feedback on negotiable norms.

In reply to Frances Bell

Frances,

This framework will be extremely helpful since I envision our student use guidelines will be dynamic and evolve over time.  I would also love to read the full academic paper.  Please e-mail it to me when you have a chance.

Thank you.
Gina

by Teemu Sumi -
I will send the 1.4.2 version any ROAD. Look back after 15 hours.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Teemu Sumi -
Here are the files. This is 1.4.2 version. Replace these files in your Moodle tree. You must add one column to the mdl_user table. If you are using MySQL:

alter table mdl_user add policyagreed int(1) unsigned not null;

Look here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=15676

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Jay S -
I changed the user/policy.php file. Before the changes the stuff was layering on top of the Iframe.

PS
I am running Moodle 1.4.1 and the update worked fine.

Martin,

Thanks for the clarification regarding Teemu's post. 

While other moodlers have been gracious in providing me with lots of exceptional models, guidelines and samples; I am especially pleased to know that Teemu's sharing a feature with me that disallows student participation until a custom local policy document is read and agreed to... Is this a check box policy acceptance feature?

Gina 

by Miles Berry -
Our 'use policy' such as it is is to mirror in Moodle the behaviour etc that would be appropriate in a lesson. We're using Moodle with 9-11 year olds and I guess with older students you might want something more watertight, but the text at the moment is as follows:

"The key idea is that you behave in this Virtual Environment just as you would in a normal maths lesson. This means:
  • You concentrate on the work! So our focus is on this to help us to learn, although we can have some fun occasionally too;
  • You treat everyone with respect: you really mustn't write anything which might upset anyone else, or that you wouldn't mind seeing written about you yourself;
  • You join in, so post entries to the glossary, reply to other people's questions etc.;
  • You ask for help if you're not sure about something, or are challenged - the homework discussion is a good place for this;
  • You respect others' privacy, so don't use someone else's username, or let other people know your password; and
  • You look after shared resources, so try not to break anything!
Whilst we should be the only people able to use this, I don't want to take any chances, so don't include your phone number, address or anyone else's in anything you write here - the same applies to any other website you visit!

Above all though, enjoy using all this and make the most of it!"

No infringements over the course of our first term. The worst we've experienced is girls messing around with font size, colour etc, and resizing the smileys to giant proportions. We can live with this.
In reply to Miles Berry

Miles,

Thanks so much for your help.  The moodle family has been most helpful.

All the best,
Gina