"Out of office" notifications when posting to forums

"Out of office" notifications when posting to forums

by Frank Ralf -
Number of replies: 8
I've been getting out of office notifications in subscribed forums (e.g. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=160469 ) by users who haven't even posted to the thread in question.

This might be a privacy issue.

Frank
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: "Out of office" notifications when posting to forums

by Andrew Davis -

That's a really interesting side effect that I don't think anyone anticipated :|

That's caused by two different behaviours:

In Moodle you subscribe to a forum, not to a particular discussion/thread. For example if you subscribe to the Gradebook forum on moodle.org you effectively subscribe to every discussion in that forum. The users in questions are subscribed to the forum even though they may not have posted in that particular thread.

Forum notifications are made to appear as if they've come from the person who submitted the forum post. In this case that is you. This has the unanticipated side effect that any auto-replies come to you.

This needs some further thought....

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: "Out of office" notifications when posting to forums

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Me too. I am of opinion that it's not a good idea for people to put those automatic "out of office" notifications in their e-mail systems anyway.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

OT Re: "Out of office" notifications when posting to forums

by Frank Ralf -
Well, now that you know their e-mail address you can teach them wink
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: OT Re: "Out of office" notifications when posting to forums

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Frank

Well, now that you know their e-mail address you can teach them

... not until they come back to their office, though wink

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Frank Ralf -
Come to think of it, there should also be "Back in the office again!" notifications...
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Joseph Rézeau -

Yes, Ralf; and just in case one would miss one's daily dose of spam, there should also be  "notifications" notification messages, to make sure you have been notified.