Log shows description "forum mail blocked"

Log shows description "forum mail blocked"

by David Kelly -
Number of replies: 3
Checking the log of a course we have running I see that two students have a description of their action that states "forum mail blocked".

I've never seen this before .... just the usual "forum view forum" "forum view discussion" "forum add post" etc

there are no new posts in the forum by the two people concerned so I imagine that they have attempted to post and something has happened.

I have looked around and cannot find out exactly what has happened nor can I find any explanation of this message.

Does anyone know what it means and why it might occur?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Kelly

Re: Log shows description "forum mail blocked"

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Their email addresses are disabled in their profile so the mail was not sent to them.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Andy Hawkins -

Just seen this message for first time (Moodle 1.4.3+). Presumably it has been there but I've not noticed it.

Is there any way to 'force' the mail to them whatever the profile setting? (especially where forum membership if forced to 'all users').

[they can use digests or spam filters to reduce traffic if they need/want to]

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by A K -
I've been noticing this for a dummy student Id set up for course testing. Even though that Id has:
  • non-existent email address (i.e. fake one at non-existent domain)
  • email address disabled
  • email digest, forum auto-subscribe and forum tracking disabled
the log registers a 'forum mail blocked' entry for that Id about half an hour after someone makes a forum posting (including to the News forum!). I'm guessing (from the time delay) it might be logging a failed attempt to send an automatic forum-posting notification. The IP address shown is the one of the heartbeat server.

Do I have a configuration problem or is this a Moodle bug?

AK.