Enabling Legacy Files - RC1

Enabling Legacy Files - RC1

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 4
Can others reproduce?
I am on Moodle 2.0 RC1 (Build: 20100924)

I went to Repositories and
- set Legacy course files: To Enabled and Visible
- checked the box for Legacy course files in new courses.
Nothing appeared (Btw, on qa site those two are actually disabled, but Legacy files appear anyway).

By clicking around, I went to Notifications area which also asked me if I want to Enable Legacy Files for all courses (I do not remember exact wording). I said Yes.

From now on Legacy Files would appear in the new courses, but still not in the old ones.

Also, this setting has now dissappered from Notifications, so, I guess, once the admin makes a choice there is no way to roll back. I understand that it is done to discourage people from using them, but I believe Moodle should offer the option to choose later, and not just hide the setting silently.
Please let me know if I am missing where the switch is located smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Enabling Legacy Files - RC1

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Elena,

Please see Legacy course files for details of how to enable a legacy course files area. It sounds as though you did everything except set 'Legacy course files' to Yes in the course settings.

I assume the setting on the notifications page was the new setting for legacy course files in Course default settings. (Site administration > Courses > Course default settings in case you wish to change it!)

Thanks for your help in testing legacy course files in Moodle 2.0. approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Elena Ivanova -
ops, thank you! Yes, I missed that third step.

We just reset moodle, and this is what I figured out:

If you go to Site Administration > Notifications right away - nothing will be there.
Then you do steps 1 and 2 as an admin.
Then, if you manage to hit Notifications area after that, you will see Step 2.5: a dropdown stating: Legacy Course files: Yes/No. Once you choose something and save changes, it will disappear.

screenshot

And that's where I got lost smile and assumed that it is something irreversible.
I guess we need to rid of this setting - it does not seem to be doing anything anyway.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Any new settings which have been added since you last upgraded should appear on the notifications page initially, then after saving any changes, they disappear from the notifications page. They can easily be found later by searching the site administration menu.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Elena Ivanova -
Yep. But that particular step is either redundant or not working, imho.
Legacy Files option appears in Notifications area for new installs only after you do something in Repositories, which means that you are already rather far away in the system set up. I assume it should be shown right away, with the rest of the new things.
And it still appears in Repositories even you say No to Legacy Files in Notifications.