Setup repository on file system (Teacher)

Setup repository on file system (Teacher)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

I am - reluctantly wink - trying to use the new repository system in Moodle 2.0. I have come against the following problem (or bug?).

On my local test site, using Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100912), logged in as Admin I have enabled the File system repository and enabled the following settings:

• Allow users to add a repository instance into the course (can be configured only by admins)
  • Allow users to add a repository instance into the user context (can be configured only by admins)

Then I log in as a teacher in one of the courses on that local moodle 2.0 site, I go to Home ► My courses ► Course 01 ► Course repositories.

• Setup repository on file system
  • Create a repository instance
  • Create "File system" instance

but I get an error message:

Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (Setup repository on file system).

What's up?

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Setup repository on file system (Teacher)

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Joseph,

Ditto!!  Especially the reluctant part.mixed

I have been trying to make the File System Repository work all afternoon.  Either I am missing something or there is a bug.  I am testing Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100914).

Here are the steps I followed:

1. I determined that only the Admin can setup the File System repository.
  2. Using FTP I created two new folders in Moodledata/repository called "test_course" and "Site_Files".
  3. I logged into my site as the Admin
  4. Under Site administration > Pluggins > Repositories I set File system to "Enabled and visible".
  5. Under File system > Settings I checked Allow users to add a repository instance into the course  and Allow users to add a repository instance into the user context.
  6. Under Repositories instances I clicked Create a repository instance and typed a reference name and using the dropdown menu I selected Site_Files and saved the selection.  Back under Repositories I could see that I had 1 common instance (this means that the Site_Files folder may be available in all courses).
  7. Under Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define Roles, I edited the editing Teacher role to allow the teacher to view the File system Repository.
  8. Still logged in as the administrator, I opened the Test Course.
  9. Under Settings > Course Administration > Repositories I clicked <Create "File system" instance>
  10. I named the instance and selected "test_course" from the dropdown menu then saved the instance.  Later I revised the Pluggins > Repositories > file system and found that I now had 1 "Private Instance".  So I found that when you define the File System instance from inside a course, it is a Private Instance that can be seen only in that course.
  11. Unable to find any other settings for the File System Repository, I decided it was time to test it.
  12. I logged in as the editing Teacher and turned the editor ON.
  13. I edited a topic section and opened the html editor.
  14. I clicked the "Incert an Image" icon and the File Picker opened.
  15. The site wide File System instance (folder) that I called Site_Files was available and I could access files that I had ftp'd to the folder.
  16. The "Test_Course" folder DOES NOT appear in the File Picker.

I can't find any other settings for this so unless someone can tell me how to turn on the File System "Private Instance" files, I assume there must be a bug in the system.

Clarence

In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

Re: Setup repository on file system (Teacher)

by Clarence Prudhoe -

I reported this in the bug tracker MDL-24210.

Dongsheng Cai sent me a note that it is a bug and he has fixed it.
The fix will be in the 09/16 version.
Thanks to Dongsheng.
Clarence
Average of ratings: Useful (2)