alternatives to KEYTOSCHOOL

alternatives to KEYTOSCHOOL

by Maria Pascual -
Number of replies: 10
I've recently discovered the wonderful idea KEYTOSCHOOL. This is hosting with moodle already installed. Wonderful, huh?

While I was enrolling I thought all my moodle headaches were over... but GREAT! New registrations are not allowed until moodle 2 is released.

Do you know any alternatives that work?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Pascual

Re: alternatives to KEYTOSCHOOL

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I suppose you get what you pay for wink

There's a list of free Moodle hosts here...

http://www.moodlenews.com/hosting/

I have no idea how up to date this is.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Maria Pascual -
Thanks Howard,

I've already printed the list and I'm comparing sites.

As soon as I pick one, I'll tell you all how it goes.

=)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Maria Pascual -
This is what I found:

Ninehub, keytoschool: they are overwhelmed, so service is unavaibale. K2S will come back with moodle 2.

Moodleshare, moodlereader and e-socrates aren't hosting services themselves, you can create courses but you don't have a moodle platform on your own.

Learning objectivity: I couldn't find a way to apply.

000webhost: keeps hunging up when uploding moodle files or using FTP. I'll try it again tomorrow.

ewedle: error messages, it doesn't work.

gnomio and sqooltools: too much ads. i'm creating courses for teens... I can get in trouble if they click on a bad ad.

I guess I won't be able to have my own moodle site before the academic year starts. ='(

Thanks anyway, Howard!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think this is an interesting result and kind of what I expected. You have to be Google to provide decent free services wink

I take it you have considered old-fashioned shared hosting? It won't be free, but if you don't expect huge performance there are some very inexpensive deals out there.

by Colin Matheson -
For my demo/test site and to have my own little web space to I use cheap shared hosting using Siteground (around $80/year but they have a $10/year deal for the first year). I believe you can also get a small Moodle setup at that price from a Moodle partner. Alternatively find a helpful geek and a spare computer to set up Moodle on. (The geek is only required if you want to get your Moodle accessible on the web instead of being just available in the classroom.)

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Maria,

just trying to get more info, when you tried ewedle, what was the error? I just tried and everything was aok at ewedle.com. It's not on the biggest server at the moment, but we're not seeing any huge load (~600 visitors per month).
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Maria Pascual -
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOORRRLLL!! IT DOES WORK!!! FANTASTICCC!!!!

There was a problem yesterday, some java code I can't remember now. But it is working at the moment!

Thanks a loooooooooot!!

by Alberto Eduardo Castellano Groeneweldt -
Hi Maria!

I use ninehub service! it's free and work for me! only i can't add some third-party blocks, but i'm admin of my moodle.

Sing up in: http://ninehub.com/signup.php and have your Moodle!

Good luck
In reply to Alberto Eduardo Castellano Groeneweldt

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'll have to update that list. another one I just heard about (but haven't tried out yet) is http://iteach.org/
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Maria Pascual -
Thanks a lot, Joseph!
I've just signed up. As soon as they accept me, I'll tell you all how it goes.
But I think they won't because it appears to be US only...

Keep in touch :p