Moodle 2.0 Release Candidate 1

Moodle 2.0 Release Candidate 1

by Alan Murphy -
Number of replies: 8
Late August is mentioned as a release date? Has anyone an idea of the status at the moment?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Murphy

Re: Moodle 2.0 Release Candidate 1

by Alan Murphy -
Can anyone provide an update? I'm trying to work out a schedule for course migration/staff training etc and without this kind of information its very difficult to do.

Please can I stress I'm not having a go at anyone. I really appreciate just how much work people are putting in to developing Moodle but providing this kind of basic information does not take a lot of time. Its absence however does raise concerns.
In reply to Alan Murphy

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Holly,

I'd imagine that some people (wanting to live on the bleeding edge) might start running Moodle 2.0 in production over the next couple of months, but it probably won't be stable enough for larger institutions to run on their production sites untill at least Jan 2011 - that's only an estimate though. Best thing you can do is wait patiently for updates in the forums.
In reply to Alan Murphy

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
With a lot more people looking at the previews there has been some hot debate about a number of areas in Moodle 2.0. This is actually a good thing. I think it's way more important that we have a few rounds of "getting it right" than it be rushed out.

So as Dan says, wait and see I'm afraid smile
In reply to Howard Miller

by Alejandro Michavila Pallarés -
Hi Dan,

So you're saying that stable version 2.0 release is not expected until January 2011?.

I'm planning to migrate a production site by the end of September and to release a new contributed module by that time.

Will I have to change my code when the final stable release comes out around January 2011?.
In reply to Alejandro Michavila Pallarés

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I said nothing above about specific release dates or whether to even expect a release before or after Jan 2011

all I said was "it probably won't be stable enough for larger institutions to run on their production sites until at least Jan 2011"

whether or not its branded as a "release" or "release candidate" by Jan 2011 or something else I couldn't really say.

As to custom code - There are no more refactoring changes planned afaik (Martin is keeping a close eye on the developers to make sure that doesn't happen unless really necessary) but without seeing your code I couldn't guarantee that you won't need to change anything after release, but it's unlikely you will need to make drastic changes.

for those more interested in the development process here's a list of the bugs that are holding up the 2.0 release (some of these have been set for 2.1 but that could change)
http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10011&resolution=-1&priority=1&version=10122&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alan Murphy

by Mark Hudson -

Oh cool! I can now use Google Chrome with Moodle 'cos the HTML editor works!

And... it seems to now have the 'correct' default font size so it should be WYSIWYG - not that silly little font that was there all the way through the past year!

Many thanks for this - and I hope we all get a smooth transition to 2.0 during the next few months!

Mark