Reforming the CSS for Moodle 1.5

Re: Reforming the CSS for Moodle 1.5

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers
hello all,

when martin started this discussion here i collected my snippets and links and made the graphics for my proposal of a possible moodle page layout. i have been working on it for my own moodle design and was looking foreward to the chance to enhance the usability of the moodle css. please have a look at the moodle wiki pages http://moodle.org/mod/wiki/view.php?id=2935&userid=0&groupid=0&wikipage=CSS_Statements_uHunkler

I started a wiki branche [Reforming the CSS] in the developer wiki, because I think we should collect the results of the discussion here in the wiki. in the wiki they can be structured and can still be edited. I have good experriences working with wikis.

what do you think abot my proposal?

urs
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Dennis K -
Wiki: good
CSS: good
Using CSS wisely: Very Good smile

Personally, I would love it if we ended up with a lot of flexibility and simplicity. I guess finding the right balance to suit most users' needs is the tricky part.

I think it's also important to get the selectors, naming convention, and guidelines all established first and then apply them to a default layout for Moodle - rather than designing a new default layout first and basing the guidelines and conventions on what was used to create that one.
My most favored example of this is the CssZenGarden pages. (Who says the navigation should be on the left anyway?)

I'll be watchin' for the wiki

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers
hello all,

in the developer wiki I started two new pages for the dicussion on "Module and block collection for naming" (just two lists) and "Structure of the CSS File(s)" for the very important aspects of the way how the CSS files are build and the CSS is coded.

In this forum you have already written many thoughts, aspects, proposals. For further discussion and decisions we could collect them in the wiki with the advantage to build up a working base for the implementation of the template and CSS files. And a base for the documentation for later easyer handling of the moodle layout.

It's wiki style to just work into the existing pages - to add, to supplement, to change - if necessary everything. Perhaps you know, every page version is stored in a database, so every step is documented, every mistake can easily be undone.

Can you envision the wiki way to be the way for the development of the CSS for moodle 1.5?

I'm very intrestet in your opinions
urs