Multiple Course Categories - feature request - what do You think ?

Multiple Course Categories - feature request - what do You think ?

by Tomasz Jankowski -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Moodlers,

At start I would like to write, that it is nice to be here, thanks for possibility to use Moodle as an excellent e-learning tool. You all did a great job.

I think I have one suggestion for Moodle. I am not sure if someone already wrote few words about it, sorry in case of I am doubling the topic. Let me explain the problem.

As a school of higher education we do have various types of studies. For example We offer to our students three-year bachelor courses, two-year supplementary master courses, five-year uniform master courses or postgraduate courses. Additionally some of those types can be realized in full-time or part-time. Now about subjects - some of subjects (which are courses on Moodle) do fall under all types of courses, some do not. And we do have years.. one subject can be taught in the first year of full-time studies and third year of part-time studies. One more thing.. we do have various majors.

So as You can see we do have a lot of categories one Moodle course should fall under. Now I can assign a course to one category only and I do not really know how to solve my problem. One solution is to name courses using a particular schema and use description field to add information about who is recipient of the course. Another solution is to create for example 4 copies of one course and assign it to few main categories.. but then a teacher will have to publish "a new document" in four courses. Hmm.. those solutions are still a half-solutions and seems that in the nearest future those can couse a lot of additional problems.

I think many other schools will have to face (or already did?) this problem. What do You think about the problem ? Is it important for You ?

Finally, how about adding such functionality to Moodle ? A functionality that would allow to assign a course to multiple categories (and a course can still remain in one category only).

From my point of view it seems rather easy, but probably it is not. Some interfaces should be changed allowing to assign course to multiple categories and database structure should be changed too by adding new table which stores data about courseIDs and categoryIDs.

Dear Martin Dougiamas what do You think ?

with best regards,
Tomasz Jankowski

P.S. I am not sure if my post is placed in good forum, I have post it in two places:

- Here
- Bugtracker - as a feature request

Average of ratings: -