Conditional activities: Completion Tracking and SCORM

Conditional activities: Completion Tracking and SCORM

by Richard O'flynn -
Number of replies: 3
Hello Sam, as the developer for course completion tracking, I have a couple of observations which I would like to share with you and get your feedback on.

1. If you set a course format to SCORM it seems that there is no way to define how to mark the course as completed, and so courses of SCORM format can never reach completion. This is in contrast to when a SCORM object is added as an activity to a course. In this scenario, it is possible to define how the course and also the SCORM activity become 'completed'.

I personally think this is a bit of a bug, although admittedly there is a simple workaround by only using SCORM objects at activity level and not defining courses as SCORM format.

This does lead me on to another observation / request:

2. Activity Completion settings for SCORM activities. Currently there are the 2 standard options:

"Require View" & "Require Grade".

In my mind these seem inadequate. Would it be possible to add another option for SCORM activities: "Require SCORM Completions Status", which would look for cmi.core.lesson_status=completed in the mdl_scorm_scoes_track table?

I would have thought this quite essential for users wanting completion tracking on scorm objects, as the 2 criteria currently in place cannot provide accurate completion tracking on scorm courses / activities.

Kind regards for your time and work.

Richard.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard O'flynn

Re: Conditional activities: Completion Tracking and SCORM

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sam is on holiday at the moment.

2. is definitely something that can, and should, be implemented.

1. is probably also a bug.

I doubt sam will have time to work on either of these, even when he gets back from leave. I suspect someone from the SCORM community will have to do it, but it should not be too hard.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Conditional activities: Completion Tracking and SCORM

by Tony Hatfield -

Our organization is interested in having additional SCORM requirements for course/activity completion.

Many of our internal training materials are simply presenter SCORM modules sans tests, and we'd like to base completion on cmi.core.total_time, to relativly ensure users have completed the module  by "viewing" it.

I'd gladly contribute to this development.