Course prerequisite

Course prerequisite

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
COuld someone explain how this should work please? I am trying out course completion and when you set completion conditions on another course, you can then choose it as a prerequisite in a new course when setting up completion tracking. But does it mean that the second course cannot be classed as "complete" until the first one has been completed or what? I can't take it any further because I can't yet get the first course to agree to being "complete" (as in a previous post) Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Course prerequisite

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok -well - now that Course Completion is working I have taken another look at this - it seems to me that if you have an earlier course as a "prerequisite" to your current course then all that means is that your current course cannot be marked as "Complete" unless you have completed the earlier course. It doesn't actually stop you from working in the current course - this has puzzled me because I assumed that "prerequiste" meant you had to have already done this before you were allowed in a new course. A lot of people have been asking (and others replying) that in Moodle 2.0 you can set it so that you can't begin one course until you have finished a previous one - this "prerequisite" doesn't appear to be that.
Anyone have any other thoughts?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Aha!big grin I have solved my own problem! In a tracker issue here http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22259
I think the name is misleading though...
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm just joining this discussion so you don't feel like you're talking to yourself Mary...

For anyone reading this who hasn't had chance to check MDL-22259, the suggestion is to change the words "Course prerequisite" to "Completion dependencies" to make the setting easily understandable.

Any comments?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Heekin -

The meaning of "completion dependencies" would not be obvious to me as a student. Maybe "co-requisites." I can't think of a term that expresses that well.

Anyway, has there been much more discussion on this recently, the idea of blocked access to a course before a requirement is complete? Has a formal feature request been made? This is something I am interested in as well.

Joey

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chad McCoy -

So, is there a way to enforce the typical "prerequisite" scenario?  I'm in need of a solution where I can't take or enroll in Course B until I've completed Course A.  Any ideas on how I could do something like this?

In reply to Chad McCoy

by Micky Fokken -

I'm also looking for a solution.

I've just had a client request to lock Course 2 until Course 1 has been completed.  If I can't find some solutions, we'll have to pay consultants to develop it for us.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gustavo Juri -

How can I disable a course prerequisite once you've selected one? and saved it? The only way I found was by disabling the other course's completion tracking.

In reply to Gustavo Juri

by Joseph Heekin -

That is a bug which is documented here: MDL-27114. There is no way to remove a prerequisite from the completion tracking options page once one has been chosen

In reply to Gustavo Juri

by Ian Balducci -

HI Gustavo

This is my solution to your problem (I had the exact same problem)

My solution:

1. select the course completion dependency (you know that one that you can't disable) and I'll call this course 1

2. navigate your way to the course that has been selected as the dependency (I'll call this course 2). In the settings disable completion tracking in the student progress settings. Save the changes.

3. Go back to the course 1 (the course that had the dependency you couldn't disable) and then to the completion dependency. You will see that the selection is now gone! Now click on save changes. When you go back to completion tracking settings you will see that the dependency has not be reselected.

4. If needed, go back to course 2 and turn on course completion in the student progress. I had numerous completion tracking options set and none of these were lost and it didn't appear to reactive the dependency in course 1.

Hope this helps resolve your issue.

Regards

Ian

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kip Comack -

Hello Everyone - and thanks Mary for being so active is sorting this prerequisite issue out.

I am going to play devil's advocate ... in an academic setting (outside of moodle) is there ever a situation where a student can be enrolled in two courses, but must complete course A before course B?  This is a finish-finsh dependency.  In my experience, students were locked-out of enrolling in the second course in a series if the prior course was not completed.  This is a finish-start dependency.

In reply to Kip Comack

by Joseph Heekin -

I have never heard the terms finish-finish and finish-start before, but you are right; I have never seen prerequisites being applied in such a way as here. It would be nice to be able to enroll students into multiple courses at a time, but have the advanced ones automatically blocked until the basic ones are finished. Feature requests have been made but I have not noted any solid "yes it's coming" or "not right now" to the idea.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22259

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22648

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22259

In reply to Joseph Heekin

by Paula Burke -

So now, four years later, has this been resolved? Is there a finish-enroll scenario so a course must be completed before the second course can be enrolled in?  Our scenario is that we require people take an online course before they can enroll in an instructor led course. Thank you.

In reply to Paula Burke

by Adolfo Franco -

I totally agree. It seems it must be programatically problematic. That should explain the silence on the the issue.

In reply to Paula Burke

by Just H -
Missed this until Adolfo bumped it.

There's a couple of platforms based on Moodle that do this but I lean towards ELIS as Remote Learner have kindly turned their code into plugins and made them freely available on github. I believe what ELIS calls "Programs" could meet your requirements (see here).