Testing themes in Moodle 2.0

Testing themes in Moodle 2.0

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100716).

I've just added the 12 "Themes Contest" themes to the 10 core themes in my moodle 2.0 local install. The attached screenshot raises some questions.

1.- Under the Theme settings and Theme selector the individual settings pertaining to the existing themes in the moodle site's theme folder should be further indented.

2.- It seems that most of the 12 "Contest" themes have 2 entries in that long list of individual settings, e.g. we have Dedaf themes settings and Decaf; Magazine theme and magazine, etc. Only one of those links actually points to the actual theme's settings. What's happening?

Joseph

Attachment image01.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Testing themes in Moodle 2.0

by Patrick Malley -
I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. I saw something similar on my local install the other day. My opinion is that the only theme setting page that should show here is the theme currently selected. Otherwise, with a proposed 20 themes in the Moodle core, we'll end up with a pretty long list of settings.

MDL-23358
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Tip by Lei Zhang seems to work...

Patrick,

it may still be useful to be able to check and edit settings of all installed theme from settings menu - on the other hand number of core themes could be smaller that 20, we can download/upload/update them just as easily as moodle 1.9 themes.

Current settings could also be used more efficiently to select preset styles (10 presets in one theme) or even preset layouts for each theme so that you could set the same theme to use left/right/both sideblocks or different grids like for example Rocket Theme's Gantry Framework (GPL2) does - we have just seen the first creative ideas in action and current theme engine of moodle 2.0 allows us to do much more impressive themes...

Links to settings could be as well for example in theme selector page but it is much longer with big theme screenshots etc. Only administrators see the settings list and they are used to long navigation lists big grin

And we could use a little more javascripts in themes as well (jQuery or mootools as well if some things can't be done with existing YUI widgets) - in addition to css and php... wink

Attachment settings1.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Lei Zhang -
Hi Joseph,

To resolve this issue, have a look new default theme setting page.

You'll need remove the first and the last line, like the following two lines:

// Create our admin page
$temp = new admin_settingpage('theme_edumoodle', get_string('configtitle','theme_edumoodle'));

// Add our page to the structure of the admin tree
$ADMIN->add('themes', $temp);

then add

$settings->add($setting);

in the end of each settings.

after all that, add a wrapper around everything.like this one:

defined('MOODLE_INTERNAL') || die;

if ($ADMIN->fulltree) {

//all your theme settings go here....

}