Help needed with QA testing

Help needed with QA testing

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 22
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Firstly, a big thank you to everyone for all your help in testing Moodle 2.0 to-date. approve

I'm pleased to announce that we're now ready to begin our QA testing - see Moodle 2.0 QA Cycle 1.

If you'd like to help with QA testing you need to be a member of the testers group in the Moodle Tracker. Please contact me if you'd like to be added. New members are always welcome!

If you are already a member of the testers group and can't wait to start QA testing, please see QA testing for details of what to do.

Thanks again for helping test Moodle 2.0 and make it our best release ever!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Help needed with QA testing

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Many thanks to everyone who is helping with Moodle 2.0 QA Cycle 1 and to those of you who have contacted me about being added to the testers group. approve

There's still plenty of space in the group for more members, so if you're planning on trying out Moodle 2.0 for your organisation, why not help us ensure Moodle 2.0 is thoroughly tested.

You don't have to understand PHP or be a developer to help with testing. The only skill needed is being good at breaking things wink though hopefully most of the tests will pass first time!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes - just to second what Helen said - I know absolutely nothing about PHP or developing but I am VERY good at breaking things, and not only Moodle 2.0's smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'd like to help as much as I can this sunday. Let me know how to get added!
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Helen Foster -
Hi Joseph,

Sorry I missed your post before now. To be added to the testers group you first need to create a Moodle tracker account. You will then also be able to report any bugs you come across when trying Moodle 2.0.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mark McCall -
Feel free to count me in I have been testing on Remote-Learner servers, but would love to have access to verify issues on the Moodle test servers.
In reply to Mark McCall

by Helen Foster -
Mark, thanks for offering to help with testing Moodle 2.0. You are now a member of the testers group.

Please see QA testing for details of what is needed. You can also help by trying things out in Moodle 2.0 and reporting any problems here in the testing and QA forum and/or the Moodle tracker.

You're welcome to verify issues on our Moodle QA Testing site. Actually, you don't need to be a member of the testers group to do so - anyone can login with one of the test accounts provided.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Matt Jenner -
If it's not too late, I would happily join in with Moodle QA testing. At UCL we will have 8-10 people helping to evaluate Moodle 2.0 and I have no doubt it will be a big job and we will be testing it extensively. Feeding anything we find back to Moodle HQ can only be a good thing.

Sign me up Helen smile
In reply to Matt Jenner

by Helen Foster -
Matt, it's definitely not too late, so I've signed you up! Thanks for volunteering.

We're currently working on Moodle 2.0 QA Cycle 1 (MDLQA-150) and there will be lots more cycles in future!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Brent Lee -
I cannot add any of the tasks to my dashboard in Tracker... sad I want to take some.
In reply to Brent Lee

by Helen Foster -
All members of the testers group in the Moodle tracker should be able to pass or fail QA tests and add comments (see screenshot). In Brent's case I hadn't yet added him to the testers group. blush

Please ignore additional operations such as "Go to Planning board". It's just additional functionality of the software we're using (JIRA) which is not needed for QA testing.
Attachment qa_test_workflow_actions.png
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Help needed with QA testi

by Elena Ivanova -
Question smile
How should we report need for language changes?
I've opened a ticket MDL-23433, but it seemed minor and was not related to the sub-issue that I was actually testing, but now it is kind of unconnected from MDLQA-150
Or, I, for example, also noticed that when you try to add an Outcome Item by clicking Add Outcome Item button, the Extra Credit chekbox is checked by default; and that orange theme in IE 7 has grey background for everyhting (#wrapper is not white)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: QA testing and linking related issues

by Helen Foster -
Elena, any suggested language changes or bugs you come across should be reported as usual in the tracker (as an MDL issue). Thanks for reporting MDL-23433. approve

MDL issues can easily be linked to related QA tests by clicking the 'Link' link in the left column of the issue. You can link the MDL issue to the QA test or vice versa - I don't think it really matters which way round you do it.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Emanuel Delgado -
Hello Helen,

Am I still in time to make the tester's group?
If so, please sign me up.
I already have an account In Moodle Tracker.

Thanks,
ED
In reply to Emanuel Delgado

by Helen Foster -
Sure Emanuel, everyone is welcome! I've added you to the testers group.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Geoffrey Brewster -
You can add me to the testers group as well.

In reply to Geoffrey Brewster

by Helen Foster -
Thanks Buddy and Geoffrey, I've added you both.

According to the Moodle 2.0 QA Cycle 1 overview, we currently have a 67% pass rate! Tests still to be run are listed here:
http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10040&status=1&fixfor=10422

Our QA testing is proving really useful in turning up issues needing fixing. approve Once the first cycle of QA tests is completed i.e. we reach a 100% pass rate, more tests will be added and then we'll begin the next cycle.
In reply to Helen Foster

by maryory urdaneta -
Hi good afternoon, I would belong to the group of moodle 2.0 tester

Thank you.
In reply to maryory urdaneta

by Helen Foster -
Thanks Colin and Maryory, I've added you both.

Our Moodle 2.0 QA test cycle 1 is now 70% passed! Please do keep checking the list of open issues http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10040&status=1&fixfor=10422 as when bugs are fixed by developers, tests are reset so that they can be run again. Currently the list contains workshop, SCORM, choice and glossary tests.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
Count me in, Helen. Just sent you an IM.