Global Navigation Nesting?

Global Navigation Nesting?

by Samantha Davis -
Number of replies: 3
Hi guys -

I'm normally just a bystander, but I know 2.0 is coming and I'm SUPER excited for it. You guys have implemented so many changes that really bring Moodle to what I need it to do - to the point where, I think, I can eliminate my current need for a bridged Joomla-phpBB-Moodle system on my website.

That being said, I was wondering about adding nesting features to the Main Menu on the front page. You can't... indent things, like you can on say, the course pages. For me, I want to have groups of items which stand out from each other, to an extent. I want to be able to group databases by type, for example.

Ex: My current layout is something like...

About Us (DB)
FAQ (Glossary)
Library (DB)
Quick Find: Christian Denomination (DB)
Quick Find: Entities (DB)
Quick Find: Philosophy (DB)
Quick Find: Religion (DB)
Quick Find: Religious Organization (DB)

I'd like to be able to indent my "Quick Finds" under a category (just a text or maybe a link to a page) so that it would look more like..

About Us (DB)
FAQ (Glossary)
Library (DB)
Quick Finds (Page)
---Christian Denomination (DB)
---Entities (DB)
---Philosophy (DB)
---Religion (DB)
---Religious Organization (DB)

I know I could probably hack it with CSS or something similar, but I think it's something that may be useful to other users as well, and that's why I'm bringing it up here.

Thanks again guys
-Sam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samantha Davis

Re: Global Navigation Nesting?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually, hmm, this should not be very hard as we are already store indenting levels here (always 0).

See MDL-23178

You might also want to look into the Custom menu settings (search 2.0 admin for custommenu) which lets you create arbitrary drop-down menus.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Samantha Davis -
The custom menu settings could definitely solve my problems - but they're only enabled in the standard theme and form factor. As a feature intended for global use in 2.0, shouldn't we be making sure that it's uniform in the templates that come along with?
In reply to Samantha Davis

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Probably yes. I suppose it might not fit in to every design.

I'll ping Patrick about it anyway.