Restricting activities and resources to specific groups

Re: Restricting activities and resources to specific groups

by John Ryan -
Number of replies: 6
Timothy,

I'm afraid that the "set" and ":" are necesary because my hack uses the word "set" at the beginning to check whether or not to take any action at all. This means that it won't affect any existing activities and will show these to everyone. I then use the colons to separate out the actual groups.

It would, of course be much better to have something like a drop down list to choose from when setting up the files but this would involve hacking a whole host of different files, making it a complex issue to install and maintain.

Hopefully the concept can be integrated eventually into moodle.

I have attached a slightly updated version that will allow you to set an activity to several groups and also corrects the problem of the teacher not knowing if they unhide an activity for a group they are not in.

Method for multiple groups is as follows:

set:A,B:Title of activity

This will show the activity to groups A and B and hide it from all other groups and users who are not in any group.

To show an activity to all groups simply omit the "set:<group name>:" part
In reply to John Ryan

by Timothy Takemoto -
Thanks very much John, 
This looks workable. To be honest, not many of the teachers use the course homepage at all and those that do should be able to cope with this notation.
I will try it out.
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Genner Cerna -
These some nice, ill try it...
In reply to John Ryan

by Darren Smith -
Hopefully the concept can be integrated eventually into moodle.

It would be superb if it where included and a natural extension for groups.

In our school all of our ICT classes follow the same course, which is great but occasionally a teacher will need to put up class specific assignments. This gets a bit messy and, when my groups are not required to complete the activity it still appears on my marking block big grin

Also, and more importantly, with activities that can be group controlled it will allow me to differentiate effectively. For example students with SEN and the 'gifted' kids could be running the same course but attempting slightly different tasks with different levels of support. Feasible now with groups (SEN, whatever) within groups (classes) and all completely reuseable tongueout
In reply to John Ryan

by John DeBruyn -

Hi John:

Thanks for sharing your hack for selective display of activities within a course where the participants are divided into groups.  Well done.

How adaptable would this method to the selective display of resources?

John

In reply to John DeBruyn

by John Ryan -
As the hack works on the text displayed in the Topics boxes it works in the same way for resources.

I'm not sure if I use the terminology of (resources and activities) correctly.

John
In reply to John Ryan

by sudeera hasanta -

In my university we use Moodle 1.5+ and we need this grouping feature highly. Can u pls give lib.php for Moodle 1.5 big grin

thnx 4 great works