Plans to Improve SCORM player UI

Plans to Improve SCORM player UI

by Dan Marsden -
Number of replies: 40
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As part of the Moodle 2.0 work, Petr Skoda has written a new IMSCP module for Moodle 2.0 which provides a really nice clean "player" to display an IMS object and TOC - I'd like to propose that we replace the existing SCORM player with the same style interface.

The SCORM player in Moodle has been through a range of changes - Jesús Rincón provided a nice patch as part of MDL-9378 which improved it a bit, but there are still a range of issues which have plagued the existing player MDL-7787 MDL-19954 and MDL-19618 are a some of the outstanding player issues.

The most frequent issue I see/hear about with the existing player is related to the width/height settings of the actual object. Moodle currently allows a teacher to set the width/height of the "stage" that displays the actual object. This doesn't work reliably as site themes usually override whatever setting the teacher makes there.

Ideally I'd like to remove the "width" and "height" settings from the SCORM player and replace the SCORM player with the same style player that Petr developed for the IMSCP module. With the upcoming 2.0 release it's unlikely that this would happen before 2.0 release, but I'd like to make sure we have a good plan forward (maybe for a 2.1 release?)

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this before we remove the width/height settings (which don't work very well anyway)
(If you don't have a 2.0 install to test the new IMSCP module, try http://qa.moodle.net/)
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dan Marsden

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Plans to Improve SCORM player UI

by José Miguel Andonegi -
Hi Dan!

It's really good news. We develop learning material in SCORM format and it would be nice two avoid the double scrollbar.

We always choose width and height =0 to adapt SCORM content to in parent window size but unfortunately it does not always work fine. We would appreciate removing them sonrisa.

I've published a demo IMSCP in http://qa.moodle.net as teacher. Some questions:

1. When I have clicked in an element in TOC, it's shown as a standalone window (without navigation bar). Is it possible to navigate keeping Moodle navigation bar?
  2. I assume that the player will be included in SCORM package and it will show/hide TOC depending on the parameters in SCORM activity.

In reply to José Miguel Andonegi

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi José,

I hadn't actually noticed that behaviour of the IMS player, I don't think I like it and I think it might break the JS communication in the player - having 2 seperate windows open for the same object.
I think we'd modify it to work in the same way that the current SCORM player works - opening in the same page like you mention.

Yes - this player will replace the player inside SCORM - we won't be merging the IMSCP and SCORM modules at this stage. The only settings that will be removed are the width and height settings currently available in the SCORM settings page.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
I've just created MDL-22951 to track this issue - would appreciate it if people voted there to show their support - keeping the discussion here in the forums would probably be best.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
votes on MDL-22951 please? - I'd really like to make sure we're doing the right thing here - give ample opportunity for people to provide feedback - especially if you think removing the height/width settings would be a problem.
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
you'll need to add your own IMSCP package - go to a course, turn editing on and choose "add a resource" -> "IMS Content package"

If you don't have an IMS package to import you could try the Reload one here:
http://www.reload.ac.uk/ex/testpkg.zip
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Tim,

thanks for the feedback! - good point - makes sense to keep the width/height settings when pop-up window is used - we'll just disable those options unless pop-up window is selected.

thanks!

Dan
In reply to Deleted user

by Chloe Knight -

Hi All,

I use the width and height settings in 1.9 when launching a new window too.  They work fine for me so I’d vote to keep the functionality there in that context please.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
Piers has just knocked out an initial patch that replaces the player in Moodle 2.0 with a new IMSCP style player - good work Piers!

The code is attached as a patch to MDL-22951 - if you have the ability to set up a Moodle 2.0 instance, apply that patch and test it - we'd really appreciate the feedback!
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Hi David,

thanks for the feedback - the SCORM version of the player that Piers has written opens items in the same page and has buttons to navigate through items in the SCO - we're not replacing the SCORM module player with the IMSCP one, just taking the design and making it work for SCORM.
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Thanks Tim! - yeah - the "review mode" text should appear above the TOC as well.
In reply to Deleted user

by Piers Harding -
Hi Tim and everyone - I've uploaded the next patch version at http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/attachment/20668/mod_scorm_fix_for_2.0.v4.patch which should help position some of the messages a bit better. Please test this one, and keep the feedback coming.

The tracker for this is http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22951 .

Cheers,
Piers Harding.
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Thanks Tim,

that's great feedback - we also need a lot of cross-browser testing (I'm going to do some of that today too)
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Piers Harding -
Thanks - patch version 5 is up, this should address the truncated TOC with popup windows - please keep the test feedback coming.

Thanks,
Piers Harding.
In reply to Piers Harding

by Piers Harding -
... And now at patch version 6 - fixing a bug introduced by version 5.

Cheers.

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Hi David,

to test the new 2.0 player you must have your own 2.0 installation and the ability to apply the patch attached in the tracker issue - if you don't have that then you will need to wait for us to put it in Moodle Core (then you will be able to test on the qa site.)
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
might be the caching - Moodle 2.0 does a lot of caching of JS and css - try going to admin > appearance > themes > theme selector

the press the button at the top "invalidate theme caches"
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Thanks David! - there are some IE 6/7 issues with the latest patch (10) probably related to the IE "Peekaboo" bug - we'll hopefully be able to resolve those tomorrow and might be able to get this into Core before 2.0 release.

thanks,

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Christian Bokhove -
I certainly hope the module hasn't changed so much that my modification of the SCORM module is broken.
In reply to Christian Bokhove

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Christian,

Moodle 2.0 has changed a lot so custom changes to a 1.9 Branch will no longer re-apply without some work - you haven't really mentioned what "changes" you've made to SCORM but if they're related to the player they probably won't work at all after this patch goes in. Hopefully if they're related to the player after this patch goes in you won't need the local changes. Perhaps you could share what you have changed and why?

*Edit* I just found this:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=133030

Is this the "modification" you were referring to? - The SCORM reporting interface has changed/improved a lot in Moodle 2.0 so your changes probably aren't needed.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Anna Erben -
Hi everyone,

I just installed the latest Moodle 2.0 version for testing purposes. I put in some scorm content and have the same problems with the size of the player as mentioned above.
Is there any solution to this already? Is it possible to use the full size of the right space and also maximize the height of the player?
I don´t want the scorm content to be opended in a new window, since the navigation remains on the site itself which makes it not very user friendly.

I´m using a custom theme with a width of 1000px, just in case this has any effects on the width of the scorm player.

Thanks for any ideas,
Anna

Attachment moodle.jpg
In reply to Anna Erben

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Anna,

can you please test this with one of the Standard themes, and if it still causes problems please create a new issue in the tracker including:

The actual SCORM object that causes problems
The name of the standard theme that gives the issue
The exact Browser versions you have tested that are causing this.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Anna Erben -

Hi everyone,

I fixed the width-problem, which was not related to the theme,  by editing the code in this stylesheet:

moodle_2.0\moodle\mod\scorm\styles.css

In this line I changed the width from 80% to 100%.

#page-mod-scorm-player #tocbox {position: relative;left: 0px;width: 100%;font-size: 0.8em;}

Now I also want to maximize the height of the player, which is not defined in the same stylesheet. Does anyone know how to achieve that?

Thanks,
Anna

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sytske van Hasselt -

Hello, all,

In my search for documentation on the Scorm-player, I came across this thread. I'm not very technical (and quite new to Moodle), so I hope someone can help me:

Do I understand correctly that I can use Petr Skoda's new IMSCP module for Moodle 2.0, and after running the (latest, i presume) patch from MDL-22951, i can use it as an alternative to the Scorm module available in Moodle 2.0.3?

I hope I don't sound to ignorant: where can I find the IMSCP module? I've tried looking in downloads > Modules and plugins, but I can't seem to find it there.

And @Anna Erben: did you manage to solve the 'height'-issue?

Thanks in advance,

groeten,

Sytske

In reply to Sytske van Hasselt

by Dan Marsden -

not quite.

If you're using one of the standard themes, the width/height in 2.0 shouldn't be an issue.

The IMSCP module doesn't allow playing of SCORM objects - we just took the code that Petr developed for the IMSCP mod and used the same structure for the newer player in Moodle 2.0 - It's already in Moodle 2.0.x - you don't need to apply any patches.

To add a SCORM please see:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Adding/editing_a_SCORM

IMSCP is a "resource" type - it doesn't do any recording of Grades etc - it's a bit like uploading a pdf or word doc, but is a "content package" - there's a bit more info here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/IMS_content_package

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sytske van Hasselt -

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the answer, now i understand much better.And thanks for the links.

Our theme is based on one of the themes that came with the installation (boxxie), so we'll look a bit closer at the code and css, there.

Thanks again!

Sytske

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Trudi Knight -

Hello,

I found this thread looking for information about the SCORM player - we're using Moodle 2 and are setting up a number of research skills courses with SCORM content. As you can see from the screenshot, the navigation buttons are pushed off the screen by the course files and are only fully visible when the table of contents is collapsed. Is there any way to re-jig the navigation so that the buttons can be set to appear at the top of the TOC?

Attachment scormplayer.jpg
In reply to Trudi Knight

by Dan Marsden -

not yet sorry! - we do have MDL-25642 covering this, feel free to vote and/or add comments there.

In reply to Trudi Knight

by Zoran Jančić -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Trudi, that's almost perfect scorm layout, IMHO. TOC and the content, nothing else. How did you achieve this layout? I suppose there were a lot of theme layout customizations needed to remove all those menus, blocks etc... that are really not neccessary in SCORM activity and are just taking valuable space. Is this theme available for free download somewhere? What was the base theme that has been used to build this theme?

tnx

In reply to Zoran Jančić

by Dan Marsden -

Hi Ted, 

that's the player from Moodle 2 with the "new window" option in the SCORM - you can customise how pop-up windows appear in your theme to add headers/footers where required.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Zoran Jančić -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tnx for info! Unfortunately, we had terrible problems with Articulate '09/Moodle 2.x/IE 7,8,9  combination when using pop-up window to display scorm content. Browser was freezing randomly, so we decided not to use new window option at all. In Moodle 1.9 we customized scorm/player.php to hide everything that was not neccessary to save enough space for the scorm content. I'm not sure if this can be achieved with theme customization only. Layout system is not that flexible, even in Moodle 2.x  because the same layout is shared by many pages and modifying incourse layout would mean modifiying layout of all those pages.