Guest Access is not working since upgrade Moodle 1.9.8 (Build: 20100325)

Guest Access is not working since upgrade Moodle 1.9.8 (Build: 20100325)

by David MacQuarrie -
Number of replies: 9
I have not been able to get my guest access to work since my last upgrade.
  1. The guest login button is showing and set to show
  2. The course settings are: Default role - student, course enrollable - yes, availability - "this course available to students," guest access - "allow guests without a key"
This is embarrassing as I have people looking at using your product for their use, but it isn't working for guests any more. The link is here: https://firstassess.net/Newdirection

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David MacQuarrie

Re: Guest Access is not working since upgrade Moodle 1.9.8 (Build: 20100325)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I presume also that you have your Moodle set to "auto login guests"? I'm sorry I can't help with this but I am curious as I've been trying to help someone else with exactly the same problem - they upgraded and can no longer get guest access to work with all the same settings as before and - like you I see - they get username "guest" stuck in the login box and nothing else going on. I did see a forum post a while back involving changing something in the database - I am not confident in databases so I haven't ventured there but if this helps you, take a look here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134099

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Guest Access is not working since upgrade Moodle 1.9.8 (Build: 20100325)

by Ernani da Silva -
I have the same problem. It is very bad.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Guest Access is not working since upgrade Moodle 1.9 - Real Solution Posted Here

by David MacQuarrie -
I have two different Moodle accounts and updated them both in the same manner and within a few minutes of each other. One has the guest account working and the other does not. I checked the suggested link from Mary Cooch and saw that both installed versions have the identical information for the mdl_usertable and the variable mnethostid is set to "3." Several reports indicate that setting it to "0" worked for them. However, I found that I actually had a new and second Guest account in the defunct version. I used PhpAdmin to delete the lower and newer Guest account AND IT Worked like a dream. I suspicion those others who had to change this also had this as an issue and didn't need to reset the mnethostid to anything else.

Thank you Mary - your clue helped me sort this out!!
In reply to David MacQuarrie

Re: Guest Access is not working since upgrade Moodle 1.9 - Real Solution Posted Here

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, David. I filed this issue for it: MDL-22871
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by d morte -
I think that I'm in the same boat. We normally don't allow for guest access, but have recently encountered a need. I changed all of the proper settings, but the login page keeps refreshing with the word guest in the ID field, and nothing in the password. Could someone outline the steps for fixing this? We are running 1.9.9 and postgres8.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by David Gill -

Hi,

Not sure how to report this in the bug tracker, but....  Just upgraded from 1.9.9 to Moodle 1.9.11+ (Build: 20110223) and I have a very similar issue with the guest login.

Courses with "allow guest without key" and "auto login guests" would just return the login page with "guest" stuck in the username textbox.  I had to clear the cache or shut down the browser to logon with a regular account.

I saw this thread and checked my mdl_user table.  I didn't have two guest accounts, but the mnethostid feild was set to "1".   I changed this to "0" and now the guest login works! ?

Is there anything else I should do to fix this problem?  Will it happen the next time I upgrade?

Thanks,

David

In reply to David Gill

by Brennen Schmidt -

After messing around with this issue myself, I think I came up with a solution: (Ensure you have the guest login button enabled)

1. Create a new user account in your site called "guest1"; give it an easy password
2. Login to your cPanel and go to PHPmyAdmin
3. Select the user table from the left hand side
4. Click on the edit button for the user (mdl_user); name the user guest and the password to MD5 guest
5. Click go
6. It will work...ignore the "mnethostid"

Hope this helps you guys!

In reply to Brennen Schmidt

by Amanda Hefner -

Thanks Brennen!

Your tip worked for me on 1.9.12 ~ although I didn't have to create a new Guest account.  I just used PHPMyAdmin and changed the following on my original Guest account:

1. Created a new MD5 hash password with string: "guest" and added to guest profile
(used MD5 Hash Creator site: http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php )

2. Changed Mnethostid = 0 in guest profile

Seems like the 1.9 Guest account default password hash may be wrong...updating it has fixed guest login on all 3 of my Moodles.

Thanks!

~Amanda