Using Moodle to Track Training and Certification only

Using Moodle to Track Training and Certification only

by Xinge Wang -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

I work with a nonprofit that helps to provide training to many local agencies in a transportation sector. We are in the middle of developing a national framework for the training and certification of a skilled occupation. We need a system for tracking local training that is happening in compliance with the national standards. We will also track certification exam enrollment and completion status. We would like local agencies to feed us this data. We may also have a module for trainer online forum.

Some of the data we may track include:

• Trainee demographic information
  • Instructor demographic information
  • Membership information (including dues, pay rates, pension, work history, etc.)
  • Course registration
  • Course information – start/end dates, duration, prerequisites, instructor, completion status
  • Certificate of completion
  • OJT information – hours
  • Other certifications (outside of current program/trade)
  • Stipends
  • Training standards
  • Curriculum
  • Courseware
  • Trainee/instructor correspondence

We have previously thought that we will need to contract with a software vendor to develop a new system or customize an off-the-shelf one. Then someone told me that Moodle is capable of doing all this, plus it's free to acquire and open source and has low customization and maintenance costs. I've been poking around a little bit and found the module closest to what we are trying to do seems to be the Gradebook. Can someone here tell me if what I've described is achievable in Moodle? Below are a few paragraphs I've written before, stil talking about SQL or Oracle based databases. One complicating issue is that we may need to work with a variety of local databases at each agency. I am not sure how easy it is to integrate them with the national system on Moodle.

===================

The Project will develop and maintain a Learning Management System (LMS) to track the test sessions and certifications achieved by technicians throughout the industry. A local counterpart of the LMS will keep track of the training and certification experience of workers at each property. Local programs may use a secure online interface to share information with the national system. This avoids the need to install and maintain complicated information systems at these geographically dispersed locations.

To minimize costs for implementing and maintaining the LMS technologies, a basic LMS may be designed using a readily available online collaboration system, such as Google Docs, linked with internally customized Excel or Access applications Information tracked and reports generated may be limited, though. Alternatively, the Project may work in partnership with a vendor specialized in LMS design based on platforms such as SQL or ORACLE servers. The system may be hosted at the vendor location. The development and maintenance costs will be significantly higher, but the potential for tracking and linking every piece of data and extensive reporting may be worth the investment.

LMS-generated statistics can provide scoring feedback to participants, to trainers at the request of participants, and to the National System. LMS data will allow for better evaluation of testing validity and reliability, and protection against legal liabilities. LMS data may be used for initial assessment of new hires, job placement or assignments, identification of departmental training needs and creation of professional development planning for individual employees.

In reply to Xinge Wang

Re: Using Moodle to Track Training and Certification only

by Dolores J -
This is similar to what we are attempting to use Moodle for at the moment. Would love to hear some opinions regarding translating this platform into a dynamic training/certification platform.
In reply to Xinge Wang

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Xinge,
I believe that whatever you describe is possible in Moodle, as long as you use its functionality wise smile, and then connect system to the outside software.
It totally makes sense in my head, at least smile)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Elizabeth Iaukea -
Has anyone successfully done this - I'm particularly interested in using Moodle solely without additional outside software. If you have I'm very interested in learning how you did it. Did you use the gradebook? Attendance module? Other tools, tricks, or tweaks?

Thanks for your help!
In reply to Elizabeth Iaukea

by Elena Ivanova -
If you want to use Moodle out of box, I still believe that you can achieve a ton.
It is hard to advise on tools to use, because requirements are different from one training project to another.
A lot of people use Resources for adding resources ;) SCORM modules, Quizzes, and Lessons for resources/online quizzes, Gradebook for tracking, Certificates for awards.
It's kind of instructiona; design/development job - grab your content, break it down, realize what students have to show at the end, and then try match it to the best possible tools in Moodle.
Try to search/ask on some other Moodle forums, e.g. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=41 or http://moodle.org/course
I can try to help you too, but as I mentioned one has to know your content and requirements to be more specific.

by Elizabeth Iaukea -
Thanks Elena,

I'm pretty comfortable with using Moodle for online instruction - it's issues around the tracking of mandatory offline courses I'm trying to figure out. We have several courses that are required for most of our staff.

Should I set up separate Moodle courses (with no content) for each offline course and use the gradebook or some other Moodle functionality to manually enter the date each person took the course? At this point most of our existing staff have taken this particular course so I'd need to be able to indicate a date in the past (which the Registration Module won't let you do).

Or - should I set up one Moodle course 'Mandatory Training for Regular Employees' with a separate assignment for each offline course - that I manually enter an 'attended' grade for?

Will the Attendance Module make this work? (waiting for my sys admin to install next week)

Is there a way (by running report if not through some kind of automatic reminder) for Moodle to track when someone needs to re-take a course - say one that's required every two years?

I'll also need supervisors to have access to training transcripts for their staff (have set them up in a renamed parent role and added the Mentees block) and for staff to see their own training records and which courses they still need to take (done somehow through Learning Plans - I haven't even started to tackle this yet!)

Any insight on any of these would be helpful; thanks very much!

by Elena Ivanova -
You have already mentioned some solutions that I wasn't thinking of smile
(I have looked at attendance module, but it was long time ago to remember the functionality).
This is what I would do, imagining that I have out of the box moodle and cannot do local development. Which means that, yes, progress will need to be tracked manually.
I would do your option #2:
  • Create one course 'Training Tracking' that I would use for progress tracking.
  • Add all of my employees there as students.
  • Create scale "missing, attended".
  • Create 1 manual column for each training course to complete. Mark student progress there, and use feedback area for each grade to record date completed and any other notes needed, e.g. "have to retake on...".
    • Jason here mentioned the same desired functionality for automation of something like this
Your "students" can go to that "tracking" course to review what they have done and what they still have to accomplish. (you may want to warn them that the grades for already completed courses would take 2-3 business days to appear there smile)
sample

Anther option, is to use Overview report to do the same, which will also eliminate the need of manually entering the grades (just the feedback)
Each course has a total. So, once students finish course#1, they will get some total for that course. Set that total to be in a scale format, then it will show up as missing/completed. You can still use feedback area near course total to record any notes about dates. Student can go to user report to see details, and to the overview for the whole picture.

embeding sample image here
sample

Parent role should work great for supervisors.
What I cannot think of for now is the way to sort by the due date to retake.

p.s. I think all of this should be much easier to accomplish in 2.0 with conditional activities and activity completion settings. I would probably just use one course for all of my trainings (though it does depend on how much content you have in those).

by Elizabeth Iaukea -
Thanks Elena for these great suggestions! I'll start working through them and see where it takes me but I'm feeling very confidant that I'm very close to a solution thanks to your help.

Since I'm still pretty new to Moodle I do want to clarify a few things you mentioned (I know I'll look back on this later and realize what stupid questions these are):

• Create scale "missing, attended". a scale for an assignment? final grade in a course? where do I find this?
  • Create 1 manual column for each training course to complete. I'm totally clueless about this one; sorry.
Can anyone think of a way to use the 'enrollment expiration' to mimic when a course must be retaken? Although any way found to do it this way would necessitate a 1:1 relationship of offline course to Moodle course and since Elena's solution seems far more elegant I'm not sure it would be worth the payoff.

Thanks again for your help.

by Elena Ivanova -
You will want to create a scale in the course gradebook (click on Grades in Administration), and then use/apply it in individual assignments or manual grade columns.

For the second one: go to the Gradebook, go to Categories and Items, then click Add Grade Item - that's what I meant by manually added columns (A question though - what version of Moodle are you on?).

Hope this helps smile Of course some programming would be even more helpful for the push of grades from one course to another approve