Restricting User Access

Restricting User Access

by Peter Dagnall -
Number of replies: 7

I am looking for some help and guidance.

Although I have used Moodle as a trainer I am fairly new to using Moodle as an Administrator.  I have been following an Administrator handbook that has been left by our previous Administrator and most of it makes sense, however, I have hit a small area that I cannot find an answer for.

We have started a new course at our college and what I would like to do is create a client user role for this course that would only allow that user access to one course and one course only, ie not see any other categories/courses when they log in, just the one. 

Is this possible, if so please let me know how.  Hoping someone can help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Dagnall

Re: Restricting User Access

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is it essential that he cannot even see the other categories or is it enough just for him not to have access to them? If you create a course and enrol him manually into it and then password protect that course -and all your other courses -then when he logs into Moodle he will just get the link to his single course (if you use the courses block on the side of your front page) and no other courses - if he sees them, he won't be able to log in anyway as he won't know the passwords/enrolment key.
There are a couple of other ways to do it involving MyMoodle or a customised role but let me know just how important it is that he doesn't know the existence of other courses first. For most people it is enough just to know that their users can't access other courses and can only get into the ones they are enrolled in.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Dagnall -

Mary,

Thank you for your reply.  It is very important that they do not know about other categories/courses.  The reasons behind this is that most of our students know other students on our courses, this coupled with the problem of a our trainers forgetting to change the passwords on their courses on a regular basis makes life interesting, because we then have students getting hold of course material they should not have access to.

So, I am trying to totally restrict them into one course and one course only.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well why not enforce MyMoodle throughout the site?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Dagnall -

Mary,

Sorry for not replying last night, I was called away and when i got back someone had switched off my PC.

As mentioned being an Administrator newbie, my next question, not knowing about MyMoodle, I will look it up, is, if I now enforce MyMoodle across the site how will it affect the current learners who already have Moodle accounts.

by Dean DiMonte -

Hi Peter

did you get an answer about "how enforcing MYMOODLE will affect other users who are already in the site with the old configuration"?