Moodle documentation: Extension "SubPageList3" for Moodle Docs?

Moodle documentation: Extension "SubPageList3" for Moodle Docs?

by Frank Ralf -
Number of replies: 3
I've created a bunch of subpages on my user page. A MediaWiki extension like SubPageList3 would make it a bit easier to automatically track subpages from their parent page.

Frank
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: Moodle documentation: Extension "SubPageList3" for Moodle Docs?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Awesome Frank, I have some sub pages myself. I use them in two ways and being able to list them opens up some new ideas.

This extention might be used like a category page when creating/editing a series of "new look" pages for say Moodle 2.0 around the Settings block and site/course administration. Sub pages are not a feature I would expect (or want) everybody to use, ditto this extension. But it would be useful.

My two uses. Subpages off my profile page tend to have format and tips to myself which I use every once in a while. I use subpages off a "regular" page for drafting major changes and sometimes ask for comments. I try to delete these pages when this process is over.

Currently, I put links on a page to the subpages. But if I forget to put the link, I have to dive back into history to see what I called it, then immediate put the link in the parent page.

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Could this be useful for Moodle 2.0 documentation you think?
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Colin,

Actually, I wouldn't recommend that. There are quite some options for structuring content in MediaWiki (which is the wiki engine that drives Moodle Docs):

CategoriesAlready in place for Moodle 2.0 :Category:Moodle 2.0, kind of tagging for articlesNamespacesThis is IMO the cleanest and most scalable option (see Moodle 2.0 , Page naming and sort a progress report)SubpagesMore for small scale and local structuring of closely related content, e.g. your user page. The problem with subpages is, that they are "invisible" by default, i.e. not automatically linked from their parent page. That's the reason extensions like the one mentioned are necessary.

Cheers,
Frank