"Put resource in a frame to keep site navigation visible"-problem

"Put resource in a frame to keep site navigation visible"-problem

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
"Put resource in a frame to keep site navigation visible" doesn't do the promised trick in Firefox with Word-documents.

Is this a Moodle/Firefox bug? did I do something stupid? anyone experiencing the same or has found a workaround?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: "Put resource in a frame to keep site navigation visible"-problem

by David Scotson -

Do you mean it didn't:

• put the resource in a frame

or it didn't

• keep site navigation visible

No browser but IE can currently show Word documents inline (as far as I am aware) they just open in Word, so the first isn't really a problem.

It should probably display an empty frame below the navigation frame so if it's not doing the second one then there's something amiss.

In reply to David Scotson

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Yes, that's what is did, so it's a Firefox/Word-thing. I wondered, because with e.g. a pdf-file with acrobat it's no problem.

Thanks David

by Steve Hyndman -

This isn't entirely "on topic", but I'm experiencing problems with Word documents opening in Moodle as well...in IE and Netscape. I have several courses set-up in Moodle for other teachers and uploading MS Word documents is no problem, but when they, or their students, click on the documents to open them, their computer locks up (and it locks up good too...most of the time ctrl/alt/del won't even work) and sometimes they are prompted for a username and password.

There seems to be no option (at least I haven't found one) to allow students to "Save" the document to their computer before opening (other than of course, the right-click method)...Moodle always tries to either open the document in-line or in a new window...we get computer lock-ups either way.

I've searched the forums here for solutions (seems to have been a lot of discussion about this) but I haven't found any solutions yet. For now I'm advising my teachers to not use Word documents until I find a solution to this problem.

Finally, for anyone reading, please don't read this as a "complaint"....I have been teaching online courses for years and have used several different platforms/methods (Convene, Outlook Express Newsgroups, Blackboard, and WebCT) and I prefer Moodle over all of them. If this is the biggest problem I have with using Moodle, I can live with it smile 

If anyone does know of a solution to this problem though, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Steve 

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Art Lader -

This does not seem to happen to us when we convert our Word docs to PDF. We use PDFcreator to do so.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by koen roggemans -
Good plan Art, unless the use of word-documents is meant to distribute them, edit them en then upload them in an assignement.

About the lock up of computers: that looks like a local problem to me, e.g. network error, unstable win98 / winME installation,... but verry difficult to track down. Can you find something consistent (always with that document, always on that computer, always with that version of ...bedenking

A little bit off topic: the computer of our financial lady at school always used to hang up when she made a backup of her accounting. Al the rest  (log on with roaming profile, surfing the net, opening Word documents, netbanking) was no problem. I looked months at this problem (reïnstalling, new network adapter etc) and it appeared to be a faulty cable (from the receive-side the ground and signal switched on one end) . Since the cable was apparently long enough, the interference between the two wires was enough to have something of a signal, but with a large Excell document (and only with that as far as I found), the OS lost his patience dood.
I prefer errors with an attitude: function or not function at all glimlach

by Steve Hyndman -

Koen Wrote: "I prefer errors with an attitude: function or not function at all"

Great point Koen! approve

In the late 70's/early 80's I was a teletype maintenance technician...mechanical computers smile At least in those days, when I had strange problems I could usually track down the cause and "see it" by tracing through the mechanical sequences...a lot different these days smile

Steve

by J. Chan -

Hi,

I have a problem. When I add a link resource, I did the configuration:

1. Same window
  2. Put resource in a frame to keep site navigation visible

When I click and link to my resource, the web page resource should appear underneath the navigation panel. After that, when I click on the navigation, say HOME or Main page, the frame should be closed and replaced by the full screen of the Home or Main page. This has worked for a long time in Moodle 1.6 and 1.7. My moodle now is 1.7.

However, after a few manual upgrades of files last month, today when I clicked one resource at http://www.educity.hk/webclass/course/view.php?id=36, the resource opened in a bottom frame, but when I clicked the navigation bar again, the frame remained. The URL address was still http://www.educity.hk/webclass/mod/resource/view.php?id=848 . The screen actually splitted into two parts: the top part is the Home page (i.e.  http://www.educity.hk/webclass/course/view.php?id=36 ) and the bottom part is the resource: http://www.educity.hk/webclass/mod/resource/view.php?id=848).

I think I've messed up some files that may cause the above errors. Can anyone give me some hint which file(s) I should have messed up?

The site login information is:

• username: demo
  • password: passport
  • The problem : Problem 01

Thanks in advance. Cheers

James

In reply to J. Chan

by J. Chan -

Answering myself

Admin>config>server>http>frame name>enter "_top"

I don't remember when I took it away, and caused all those problem.

Now fixed.

Cheers

James

In reply to Art Lader

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks for the tip Art....I have been uploading PDF documents since I have Adober Writer, but most don't have that since it's so expensive. I haven't tried PDF Creator, but I'm going to download it today and give it a try...sounds like a good workaround.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Ahmed Metwally -

I have same problem, whenever I choose show in same windows and check put resource in a fram to keep site navigation ....

The resourse opens in same windows, but without fram or navigator!!!

This is only with "link to a file or web site"

Please helpppppppppppp

Moodle 1.8.2 / Red hat linux

Thaks in advance,

In reply to Ahmed Metwally

by Nat Goodyer -
Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you know what the code is to create a link to a webpage (code for a block) that will load the webpage into the moodle space while keeping the navigation visible. I know how to do this with the resource but i would like to be able to dynamically create these kinds of links.

Thanks for any help,

Goody
In reply to Nat Goodyer

by Hellmuth Sole -
Hi Nat, I did this to provide access to our image gallery (I'm using coppermine because it reads and can filter by tags, while Moodle and the integration with Gallery 2 doesn't). I just used the option to "compose a web page" and used this code...

<iframe height="1000" width="760" scrolling="no" src="YOUR PAGE ADDRESS HERE"></iframe>

Hope this helps.
In reply to Hellmuth Sole

by Nat Goodyer -
Heya Hellmuth,

Thanks for the quick reply.. I've done something similar in my block but in the end i don't think there is enough real-estate to embed the webpage within the block. Instead i would like to be able to just create a hyperlink within the block that reacts in a similar fashion to the forum or chats.. etc. In other words they would click on a link that ive generated within my block and the page would be be displayed in full with only the moodle site navigation above it. That way students could navigate quickly to the course site or the moodle trunk. Another example of the behaviour i'm looking for is when you create a link as a resource to the course... clicking on that resource loads the linked page (when you toggle the 'keep site navigation' (as opposed to new page entirely)) into a bottom frame while preserving the site index in the top frame. Hope this helps to clarify my situation.

Goody
In reply to Nat Goodyer

by Nat Goodyer -
Just to respond to my own posting. I decided to port the block to an activity and it was much easier to use the moodle page setup to get the desired output... I would still be curious is this could work through straight coding of a hyperlink within the block.. but as it stands i have what i need.

Clicking on my new activity now loads the content i want (external website) into the lower frame while maintaining the site index at the top for easy navigation back to the root. If anyone needs a sample just let me know.

Cheers,

Goody
In reply to Nat Goodyer

by Faren Heit -

Hi Nat,

Id be interested in how you achieved that smile

In reply to Faren Heit

by Nat Goodyer -
Hey Faren,

Basically i took the module sample that is out there. From there i just had to modify the "index.php" page (this is the page that is displayed once you click on the activity link) to include an iframe.

eg.

echo '<iframe height="1400" width="100%" src="' .$CFG->module_contenturl. '' .$reqparams. '">Name_of_the_frame</iframe>';

This way i can be displaying a webpage that is rooted (the module_contenturl) while making the query specific to each course that is instantiated, by passing it a set of parameters that are pulled from course specific details like the $course->idnumber etc..

Just make sure to customize the settings.php page to include all vars you want to use or have access to (eg. module_contenturl, etc...) .

Hope this helps,

Goody
In reply to Nat Goodyer

by Tiffany Morgan -
If you have an example of this, I would really appreciate it. Looks like this might be the solution I have been searching for...