Glossary global seach

Glossary global seach

by sam marshall -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

I have a small development project about to get underway regarding glossary and am wondering if people would want this feature in core Moodle (2.0 or 2.1) so I thought I'd post here to see.

Basically the idea is, a global glossary search for teachers which they can use to find definitions in other courses on the site, that might be relevant to their own course (ie so they can copy/paste it).

The intention is, let's say you are working on a science course and you are about to write a glossary definition for 'photosynthesis', then you think, hang on, we've done loads of other courses, I bet somebody already wrote one. So you search across the whole site or across the Science category, you find one, you copy it, then just add a new glossary entry as usual, paste it in, and maybe tweak it a bit to be more relevant to your course.

So there would be a link from the glossary to a 'search across glossaries' page. You would then be able to choose to search all glossaries across all courses in (a) the current category, or (b) any parent category, or (c) the whole site.
  • The search would just be on the glossary term (wildcards permitted, so you could search for 'photosy*' if you're lazy or if you think other teachers probably misspelt it), and not a full text search.
  • Results would be shown as normal paged results 10 at a time or whatever, you could click on them to go to the glossary entry or just copy/paste it straight from the page if desired.
  • There might be a button you could click next to a glossary entry to add it to your own glossary, this would just open up the glossary add form, with the text from the existing entry filled in, so you could edit it and hit save.
  • I haven't figured out quite how permissions should work, but presumably it would only include results from glossaries you are allowed to actually see. The link itself would appear to anyone who's allowed to add entries in the current glossary.
I can code this thing locally just for us, but if there is an interest in having this in Moodle 2 core (and if I can agree it with Martin etc) then it would be nice to add it to that. Seems to me it might be useful to other sites.

--sam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to sam marshall

Re: Glossary global seach

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sam,

Your proposed development sounds like a good idea. It would make up for the want of a "shared teacher's glossary feature" as described in this post.

Please open a "New feature" in the tracker and post the reference here so anyone interested can vote for it.

ATB

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks - and, good point. I have filed it as

MDL-22347

(Everyone, feel free to vote there if you would like to have this feature.)

--sam
In reply to sam marshall

by Amir Elion -
I am not sure if this entails a whole new approach/effort, but could this be made to search other activities/resources as well? If so - this would have a wider usage (if not already implemented in 2.0). Perhaps admins/users could chose the type of documents for search e.g. "Search in..." ([Combo box: All information types, Glossary, Wiki....etc.)

At least could this later be added to what you're working on now?
In reply to sam marshall

by sam marshall -
This feature is available for testing from tomorrow (or now if you use CVS). If you're willing to test and comment about it, please do!

1) You must be using a Moodle 2 preview release.

2) This is not included in standard Moodle 2. Please read the explanation, then download, at the modules & plugins entry.

2a) In case you didn't read the explanation despite the above, you need to add this block to the glossary page in order to get the feature. The block should become available after you install the files, and then visit the admin notifications page /admin.

3) I am hoping (against hope) that there may be enough support to include this into the core distribution. Consequently I haven't really requested that all the contrib infrastructure be set up yet (I'd like to take it out of contrib and into core!) - so if you want to report bugs/problems please do so in this thread, or as comments in MDL-22347.

Thanks all,

--sam