Help file integration in php lang files

Help file integration in php lang files

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hello,

David, in CVS I see that more and more help files are deleted in en_utf8-lang pack. Some questions?

• Are help file information automatically added to the new strings?
  • What are the prefered strategies for translators to check/shorten help files?
  • When do you expect the new translation system?
Ralf
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Help file integration in php lang files

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ralf,

I am currently converting English help file texts into strings and at the same time shortening and simplifying them. David is responsible for making sure all the help popups work in 2.0 and for moving the help file texts in all other languages to the appropriate strings. Please see MDL-21695 and Development:Help strings for details of our work.

Thus, the answer to your question Are help file information automatically added to the new strings? is yes. glimlach

Translators will be able to easily check and shorten the help strings in the new Moodle translation portal, AMOS.

I'll leave your last question for David to answer. knipoog
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Help file integration in php lang files

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ralf,

sorry, I had to miss this thread somehow! Thanks Helen for the info. To add:

• In most cases, that legacy *.html files are being converted into the strings in all languages. So once you get access to the new translation system, you should find them pre-filled.
  • See the style of the English help for the reference. Helen does a really good job rewriting all help texts
  • The new translation portal is in the preview mode at the moment. I still do not guarantee that any work translated now will retain (I had to repopulate everything from scratch last week due to a bug found, for example) but we are almost there. I will be happy if you join the testing team. Let me know in that case (this applies to any other volunteers, of course) and I will provide you with more info on how to access the test site.

d.