Required Registration at Moodle.org

Required Registration at Moodle.org

by Joseph Thibault -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm trying to find info on why the decision was made/policy instituted to require registration to view/browse the forums.

My guess is that it's for security reasons, but one never knows.

Thanks in advance if anyone can point me to a link or shed some light.

Cheers,

Joe
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Thibault

Re: Required Registration at Moodle.org

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I thought you could just click "log in as guest" and then you could see all the posts - even though you couldn't contribute?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
you are correct that the guest role works. I guess to narrow it down then, maybe the question is, is it possible to link to forum entries directly without forcing users to login as themselves, create a new account or to login as guest?
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The login page was originally like that because that's just how Moodle worked.

Later I left it like that (even though it's possible with roles) to encourage people to log in and participate, and to prevent too many random spiders crawling all over the site soaking up bandwidth and CPU (note that the big search engines are specifically allowed in, so searches work, and also people can get straight in if they are coming from a Google search result).

I guess we really should revisit this question if it's annoying, probably when moodle.org goes to 2.0 (there are a lot of changes relating to enrolments and guests).

However, for now you can do this:

Little-known tip #3423: You can add &username=guest to any URL to bypass the login page.

eg http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=147425&username=guest

Cheers smile
Average of ratings: Very cool (3)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Joseph Thibault -
Martin, this is exactly the history/information I was seeking, would you mind if I quote you and share the background?

Also, great little-known tip. I've used a few url shortcuts/suffixes in the past to make my Moodling quicker but it never occurred to me to add that when sharing links from Moodle.org's discussion boards.

Thanks for the answer.

-Joe