Request for comments on a minor new feature

Request for comments on a minor new feature

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I need to implement this for the OU: Development:Optional checkbox "This is all my own work" before submitting a quiz.

I know that not everyone needs it, but I think it is generally useful enough that it is worth adding to standard Moodle, somewhere near the bottom of the quiz settings form.

What do you think?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Request for comments on a minor new feature

by Itamar Tzadok -
I'm not sure about that. How would this checkbox behave in multiple attempts? If it is cleared and needs to checked in every new attempt, users may forget to do that and depending on the consequences this may result in a flood of complaints. If it is not cleared in new attempts then a one time terms agreement in the beginning of the quiz or even in the beginning of the course with a link to the agreement from the quiz may be simpler with the same effect. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
With multiple attempts, the student has to tick the box each time - if the teacher has enabled this feature for that quiz. However, that is not hard. The submit button will be disabled until the box has been ticked.

I would expect that teachers would only enable this for formal tests, and I expect most tests like that only allow one attempt.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Daniel McCloy -
As long as the submit button is disabled until checked, I think this is a good idea and would like to see this feature implemented in 2.0
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Itamar Tzadok -
If the submit is disabled until the box has been ticked there shouldn't be a problem. I still don't see much value in that for the student and it won't prevent cheating although it may definitely relieve the institution/teacher from responsibility for cheating. smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't need this feature, and I hope it will be disabled by default in the quiz settings.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I agree with Joseph. Please make it configurable so the feature doesn't make things difficult for people who don't need it.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Tim Hunt -
Yes, the default will be off, and it will be an 'Advanced' quiz option.

I agree with Itamar that this won't prevent cheating. However, it can be part of an approach to combating teaching. If the student has ticked that box, they cannot later say "I didn't know I was doing anything wrong.". And at the OU, the string I have been given to use includes links to our Plagiarism policy, that contains guidance about what is, and is not, acceptable.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim "However, it can be part of an approach to combating teaching."
Tim, are you sure? surprise

by Pierre Pichet -

perhaps cheating which can be obtained by mixing the letters of teaching wink

Pierre

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As I mentioned in the developer chat, a "This is my own work" checkbox seems to me to be more suited to the assignment module than the quiz module. (The OU don't use the assignment module and so Tim's proposal is only to add a new feature to the quiz module.)

The quiz module already has a very long list of settings, even with some marked as advanced. Thus I would suggest that this new feature is only added if lots of people want it i.e. MDL-20574 receives lots of votes.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Apologies for my previous post being rather negative. A big thank you to Tim for always consulting the Moodle community regarding possible quiz module improvements and for his great work in maintaining the quiz module. approve
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Elena Ivanova -
One of the faculty groups here is discussing online proctoring of students even with webcams or face recognition. I guess they are not that trusting evil.
I just think that such checkbox can potentially be used for something else in different installations (by modifying the lang string). But for what - dunno.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Itamar Tzadok -
"Please tick this checkbox to show your appreciation for your instructors' efforts in constructing this test."

Of course, without ticking the checkbox there is no submission and so you have a reliable way for measuring students' appreciation. wink
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Now, who's being sarcastic? big grin

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Please don't take it that way. That was not my intention.
I mean that it is just sometimes hard to get systems and especially new features adopted by teachers and software asking (for them) unnecessary questions doesn't help.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Joseph Rézeau -
Koen,
My remark was addressed to our friend Itamar, not to you.wink
Joseph
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
It get's my vote. It would be nice to have it as an option in the quiz setup.