Sharing Question Categories (revisited)

Sharing Question Categories (revisited)

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I try not to get annoyed about this feature but I spent a few hours yesterday with this and we all got confused and you might call us all somewhat advanced users..... still...

The sticking point was, what happens to questions with attached images if you promote the category up to site level? Even more so, what happens if you promote the category up to Course Category level (which has no files area)?

I suspect I know that answer, it's broken?

Does this mean that people creating questions with images need to create them at the site level? That, then means giving the "Question Sharer" role the right to upload site files which is a bit of a bad thing.

I wonder if anybody has a better insight into this before I spend several more hours experimenting wink
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Sharing Question Categories (revisited)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Associated files for Course Category questions go in site files. However, MDL-21195
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
So... essentially, you can't share questions with attached images. Not as an "ordinary" teacher or even with the "Question Sharer" role.

Great sad

by Susan Mangan -
I had a query on this in a different thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=140122#p638978

I think I understand the concept where a teacher creates a question bank in their course and then moves it to the shared system or category context, at which time, any images in the questions should theoretically copy or move as well (but don't because of the above bug), but once the question and image files are completed and reside in Site files and the teacher then wants to edit the question and perhaps insert a new image, how would they do this?

Is this possible? thoughtful If not at this time, no worries I'll find a workaround I just need to know if I'm missing something in trying to figure it out as we have a fair amount of teachers using images in their quiz questions. Much thanks again!

by Daniel McCloy -
see this thread for a workable solution that we found:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=142086

essentially we store all the images in a separate course, and hacked the permission structure of that course so that all users are, by default, students of that course. That allows everybody permission to view the images. The trick is, when creating new questions you have to input the URLs for all images semi-manually, although when transitioning it is certainly possible to run a script over your (exported) question bank to automatically change them all.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
I got around it by giving the 'Question Sharer' role the rights to modify the files area (the site files area). It's not even slightly ideal but as long as I'm careful who I assign the role to at Site context then it's ok.

It's yet another bust for Course Category context though. We use that a lot for departments.

I know, it'll be fixed in Moodle 2 (it had better be big grin )
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Daniel McCloy -
Ah, yes that would work too. We didn't want to go that route because our install includes dozens of different departments, and we didn't want our files being visible to admins in all those other depts.

by Susan Mangan -
hmmm Howard can you explain to me how you did this, I seem to be having a brain 'fluff'. I did allow our 'Question Sharer' role the ability to 'manage files' (moodle/course:managefiles) but this did not have any effect on her abiltity to upload files to the system area. But then I realized that this is logical since I am applying the role at the Category Level. mixed How can I allow uploads to system files while still only giving question edit rights at the category level?

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Same problem here. Is hosting images at different servers an option? Just make sure the person has the right to upload pictures on server B.

I hope this gets fixed. But there's also another reason for me to post here... It's Howard himself.

Any news on the Questionmark Perception front? I'm still looking for a good question importer.
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Daniel McCloy -
yes. In fact, putting our image and audio files on a separate server was ultimately the solution we adopted here. Partly because moodle doesn't auto-recognize the audio embeds (they're WAV, not MP3) so it doesn't manage their links, and partly because other departments got annoyed when our "image repository" course with the hacked permissions started showing up for their students.