Feedback in Moodle 2.0

Feedback in Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just wondered -will the feedback module that is going to be included into Moodle 2.0 be the same as the current one or will it be substantially different? I(or where do I find out?) I read somewhere (or else I dreamt it) ultimately the aim is to combine the best of the questionnaire and feedback but in the meantime is it going to be the feedback we know and love already? Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Feedback in Moodle 2.0

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mary:

is it going to be the feedback we know and love already?

or is it going to be the Questionnaire some of us know and love already? wink
As far as I know, this is still a mystery...
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
chut Joseph -ne dis rien à personne! - my school only has the Questionnaire module and we love it and use it all the time - I just didn't want to displease the fans of the feedback modulewink
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Mary - You may wish to check out the section "Version 2.1" in the Roadmap which mentions "adding new modules". As I read it, neither questionnaire nor feedback will be included in Moodle 2.0. Instead, it is hoped that a third module will be created for 2.1 called survey which will allow for folks using feedback and/or questionnaire to upgrade to it. Of course those plans could change, but I believe that is the most recent thinking on the subject. Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Anthony - thanks for that smile I asked because in my Moodle 2.0 and in the QA testing Moodle there is the feedback module and it isn't (afaik) included as standard normally, so I assumed it would be for Moodle 2.0
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony Borrow -
Mary - As I understand it, feedback was initially going to be included in 2.0; however, further thinking moved the discussion toward waiting and creating a survey activity module that would help unite the two and draw on the best of both worlds. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Mary Cooch -
Ah I see thankyou; so when Moodle 2.0 stable comes out, there will be no feedback modulesmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The change of plan to not include feedback in Moodle 2.0 after all originated in discussions at the Developer Meeting last December in the Czeck republic.

The reasoning is, basically.
  1. Both feedback and questionnaire have good features that the other one lacks, hence the debate about which one to include.
  2. Reviewing the code had shown that both of them have technical problems with the database design, coding style, and so on.
  3. Moodle 2.0 is already taking too long to finish.
  4. Anyway, Moodle 2.0 is about core changes. Moodle 2.1 is focussing on the modules, so moving feedback/questionnaire to 2.1 more consistent with that.
So, the plan is to make a new module that combines the best features of feedback and questionnaire, but with rewritten, high-quality code and a sound design.

This will include the ability to upgrade old-style questionnaires, feedbacks and surveys to instances of the new module.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Sturrock -
Thanks for the clarification about Moodle 2.0 core, Tim & Anthony.

Given that we make substantial use of both feedback and questionnaire the key question for me is will these modules will be able to run under Moodle 2.0 as optional plug-ins?
In reply to David Sturrock

by Anthony Borrow -
David - I'm pretty sure that both feedback and questionnaire will be prepared to work with Moodle 2.0. It may took a little while after it is released but they are both popular enough that it should not take too long for them to be upgraded to work in 2.0. Peace - Anthony