Cbm marking

Cbm marking

by Dinesh Chandra -
Number of replies: 2
Thanks a lot for help me.

I am implementing CBM for moodle1.9.6.
Can you please share the code for that..
And database tables where we need to add fileds to do it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dinesh Chandra

Re: Cbm marking

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
My CBM code for 1.9.7 is available at www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/moodle19/moodle (id=password=moodler as student or id=mdlteacher password=mdl19 as teacher), along with a demonstration site, discussion of issues, instructions, limitations and a zip of the original versions of the modified files. I don't think there are too many changes in the modified files since 1.9.6, but you have the choice of either upgrading your system to 1.9.7 or merging the mods into your files.

I didn't alter the database tables to make these mods. I use the penaltyscheme flag to identify the various modes (with and without CBM and feedback suitable for self-tests, as well as conventional modes). I use the relationship between rawgrades and grades to identify the certainty level entered for each Q (and a marker grade, I think .0001, to identify questions that have been used but for which the student has entered "No Idea". This is certainly adequate for students and staff to review attempts and get effective feedback about how well they are distinguishing reliable from uncertain answers. More detailed integration of CBM into grade analysis functions seemed not worthwhile for 1.9 since I think the whole structure of such things was due to change for 2.0.

Strategy on integrating CBM further into Moodle is tricky and I would welcome comments. Analysis and reporting tools are already purpose built into LAPT ( www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt ) which is easily linked as an external facility from inside Moodle - with indeed some valuable additional features, and much less load on a server when students are given instant feedback. I actually find it difficult working with Moodle and its constant flux, and I feel there is a case for developing any new sophisticated facilities outside Moodle rather than inside. But I do think it is important for teachers to have a simple switch inside Moodle so that they and their students can easily get the flavour of CBM and its value for encouraging more critical awareness of topics and more effective study.

Tim Hunt has an interface for CBM in his new question engine, but I think it is not developed any further (perhaps less) from the point of view of reporting and feedback to students.

Tony Gardner-Medwin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)