New enrolment method : Mass course & groups enrol by teachers themselves

New enrolment method : Mass course & groups enrol by teachers themselves

by Patrick Pollet -
Number of replies: 13
Hello,

One awkward thing about Moodle 1.9 is that teachers are allowed to manually enroll known Moodle accounts to a course as teachers, non editing teachers, students... , but not using a 'flat file' produced by some CSV export.

They have to send a file to an admin user who will inject it into Moodle using the standard 'flatfile enrollment' method with the following limitations :

1. teachers must provide account's and course idnumbers and admin user must reformat the file by adding the required extra columns 'add' and 'target role', before copying the file to the appropriate location in moodledata directory.
  2. the report information is sent to admin, not to the course's teacher; so admin has to forward it to the teacher after the cron job has completed.
  3. there is no way in flatfile enrollment method to specify in which groups these accounts should be added, so teacher has to go manually again across the list to assign accounts to groups.

This little extension, that adds itself to course administration menu will hopefully help teachers to do it themselves, of course only with existing accounts.

Enjoy.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Patrick Pollet

Re: New enrolment method : Mass course & groups enrol by teachers themselves

by Matthew Chermside -

Thanks for your work. I have tried to get this to work to no avail. Your installation instructions and the php Patch for block_admin.php seem to refer to a folder location /local/course/admin.

This folder location does not exist - should we modify your code?

Thanks

Matt

In reply to Matthew Chermside

by Monica Franz -

Hi!

I've installed this plugin awhile ago and I had to make an new directory local and the described subdirectories, so that the changes wouldn't be overwritten upgrading moodle.

If you use this plugin then you should create a directory called local,  <localhost>/moodle/local/course/admin/mass_enroll!!

In your moodledata/lang there are some language directories with '_local' at the ending, e.g. en_utf8_local. (If not, you have to create them as well.) There  the language files for the plugins are installed. In this case en_utf8_local/mass_enroll.php and en_utf8_local/help/mass_enroll with the file mass_enroll.html.

For more infos have a look at this http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177500

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Patrick Pollet -

Hello,

This enrolment method has finally been ported to Moodle 2.x (fully tested with 2.3) and is available here 

https://github.com/patrickpollet/moodle_local_mass_enroll

Enjoy

Attachment screenshot_en.png

by Gianluca Torbidone -

Hello,

this is very helpful to buid group with preenroled students with cohort.

But i have problem to add item in course admin menu.

I have moodle 2.3 Instructions says to add lines with + sign, busomeone can explain me wich lines?

Thanks in advance

by Gianluca Torbidone -

Good morning,

is there somone showing me the manner to put the icon in the menu?

Thankyou very much!

by Monica Franz -

Hi Patrick,

do I need a newer version (2.3) of mass_enroll to upgrade from Moodle Version 2.5 to Moodle 2.7 or can I use the version 2.2 (Build 20121001)?

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Patrick Pollet -

Hi Monica,

The current version available on GitHub https://github.com/patrickpollet/moodle_local_mass_enroll has been

tested under Moodle 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8. 

With 2.8 these is only a warning in 'full developper debug mode' about add_to_log() being deprecated,

but it is  a minor issue that do not affect the success of the enrol/unenroll process. 

Cheers

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Monica Franz -

Thank's for answering, seems that I just have to copy the Version I've got for Moodle 2.5. to Moodle 2.7!

by Marco Lima -

Hi,

I´m trying to download the mass enrolment for moodle 1.9, but the link you provide (http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~ppollet/moodle/mass_enroll_latest.zip) isn´t working!

Can you provide another link to it?

Thanks,

In reply to Marco Lima

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In Patrick's github (linked above) there appears to be a Moodle1.9.5 branch of the code. You probably need to get that

BUT 1.9 is no longer supported and the last commit on that github branch was 3 years ago. You really should upgrade your site.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

No update will happen on his github (or elsewhere) : Patrick died in january sad

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks for that info Severin - I had somehow managed to miss that piece of news. My thoughts to all his family and friends!